Effects of incorporation of Cu and Ag in Pd on electrochemical oxidation of methanol in alkaline solution
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pd fine particles were prepared by heterogeneous reaction of PdOx with dry methanol as well as by the NaBH4 reduction method. The former method was found to give Pd nanoparticles (~5nm). Similarly f.c.c. structured, single phase nanoparticles of alloy compositions Pd0.8Cu0.2, Pd0.5Cu0.5, Pd0.8Ag0.2 and Pd0.5Ag0.5 were prepared by the heterogeneous reaction of dry methanol with intimate mixtures of PdOx+CuOx and PdOx+AgNO3. The electrochemical properties of the porous unsupported electrodes, prepared from these materials, in alkaline solutions, were investigated by cyclic voltammetry and steady-state polarization measurements. Various processes taking place during potential scanning in the presence and absence of methanol in 6m KOH solution are␣discussed. Steady-state polarization data indicate that the methanol oxidation reaction (MOR) activity decreases with incorporation of Cu and Ag into the Pd lattice. The extent of decrease in the MOR activity is less for Cu ad dition than for Ag addition.
- K. Nishimura, K. Machida and M. Enyo, J. Electroanal. Chem. 251 (1988) 103.
- F. Kadirgan, B. Beden, J. M. Leger and C. Lamy, ibid. 125 (1981) 89.
- L. D. Burke and K. J. O' Dwyer, Electrochim. Acta 35 (1990) 1821.
- K. Nishimura, K. Kunimatsu and M. Enyo, J. Electroanal. Chem. 260 (1989) 167.
- M. I. Manzanares, A. G. Pavese and V. M. Solis, ibid. 310 (1991) 159.
- M. Enyo, ibid. 186 (1985) 155.
- T. Takamura and Y. Sato, Electrochim. Acta 19 (1974) 63.
- T. Takamura and K. Minamiyama, J. Electrochem. Soc. 112 (1965) 333.
- T. Takamura and F. Mochimaru, ibid. 114 (1967) 1251.
- H. N. Vasan and C. N. R. Rao, J. Mater. Chem. 5(10) (1995) 1755.
- J. Prabhuram and R. Manoharan, J. Power Sources (in press).
- L. D. Burke and J. K. Casey, J. Appl. Electrochem. 23 (1993) 573.
- R. Woods in ‘Electroanalytical Chemistry’ (edited by A. J. Bard), Marcel Dekker, New York, 9 (1976) chapter 1.
- G. Belanger and A. K. Vijh, in ‘Oxide and Oxide Films’ (edited by A. K. Vijh), Marcel Deckker, New York, 5 (1977) chapter 1.
- L. D. Burke, in ‘Electrodes of Conductive Metalic Oxides, Part A’ (edited by S. Trasatti), Elsevier, Amsterdam (1980) chapter 3.
- L. D. Burke and J. K. Casey, J. Electrochem. Soc. 140 (1993) 1292.
- L. D. Burke and M. B. C. Roche, J. Electroanal. Chem. 186 (1985) 139.
- V. Chausse, P. Regull and L. Victori, J. Electroanal. Chem. 238 (1987) 115.
- B. Miller, J. Electrochem. Soc. 116 (1969) 1675.
- N. A. Hampson, J. B. Lee and K.I. MacDonald, J. Electroanal. Chem. 32 (1971) 165.
- J. Ambrose, R. G. Barradas and D. W. Shoesmith, ibid. 47 (1973) 47.
- L. D. Burke, M. J. G. Ahern and T. G. Ryan, J. Electrochem. Soc. 137 (1990) 553.
- L. D. Burke and T. G. Ryan, ibid. 137 (1990) 1358.
- D. D. MacDonald, ibid. 121 (1974) 651.
- A. M. Castro Luna de Medina, S. L. Marchiano and A. J. Arvia, J. Appl. Electrochem. 8 (1978) 121.
- K. Ohkawa, K. Hashimoto, A. Fujishima, Y. Nogunchi and S. Nakayama, J. Electroanal. Chem. 345 (1993) 445.
- K. W. Frese and Jr, J. Electrochem. Soc. 138 (1991) 3338.
- Effects of incorporation of Cu and Ag in Pd on electrochemical oxidation of methanol in alkaline solution
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 28, Issue 9 , pp 935-941
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Pd electrodes
- Cu and Ag incorporation
- methanol oxidation
- alkaline electrolyte
- cyclic voltammetry
- steady-state polarization
- Industry Sectors