Vigna Radiata Seed Germination under Salinity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Salinity reduced mung bean (Vigna radiata Wilczek) radicle and root elongation, delayed and inhibited hypocotyl elongation and mobilization of reserves from the cotyledons to the embryo axis. Fresh and dry masses and water content of the embryo axes were reduced. Under salinity, a net leakage of K to the media increased with time and increasing NaCl concentrations. Sugars present in the cotyledons of seeds were of primary importance for growth of the embryo axis upto 18 h after sowing whereas breakdown of starch by amylase contributed later, the contribution being delayed and reduced with increasing NaCl concentration. Even when amylase activity in the cotyledons was progressively reduced with increasing NaCl concentration, the increasing contents of soluble sugars in the cotyledons indicated that sugars were not limiting for mung bean seedling growth under salinity.
- Benlloch, M., Ojeda, M.A., Ramos, J., Rodriguez-Navarro, A.: Salt sensitivity and low discrimination between potassium and sodium in bean plants.-Plant Soil 166: 117-123, 1994.
- Brown, R.: Physiology of seed germination.-In: Ruhland, W. (ed.): Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology. Vol. XV. Pp. 894-924. Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1965.
- Cachorro, P., Olmos, E., Oritz, A., Cerdá, A.: Salinity-induced changes in the structure and ultrastructure of bean root cells.-Biol. Plant. 37: 273-283, 1995.
- Cocucci, S., Cocucci, M.: Effect of ABA, GA3 and FC on the development of potassium uptake in germinating radish seeds.-Plant Sci. Lett. 10: 85-95, 1977.
- Colorado, P., Nicolas, G., Rodriguez, D.: Convergent effects of stress and ABA on gene expression during germination of chickpea seeds.-J. Plant Physiol. 146: 535-540, 1995.
- De Klark, G.J.: Axil control of amylase synthesis and secretion in cotyledons of Agrostemma githago.-Acta bot. neerl. 35: 143-152, 1986.
- Guardiola, J.L., Sutcliffe, J.F.: Transport of materials from the cotyledons during germination of seeds of garden pea (Pisum sativum L.).-J. exp. Bot. 23: 322-337, 1972.
- Guerrier, G.: Improvement of seed vigour by KCl and CaCl2 pretreatments: relation with the regulation of hydrolytic enzyme activities.-Agrochimica 35: 396-407, 1991.
- Hasson-Porath, E., Poljakoff-Mayber, A.: The effect of salinity on glucose absorption and incorporation by pea roots.-Plant Cell Physiol. 14: 361-368, 1973.
- Jones, R.L., Varner, J.E.: The bioassay of gibberellins.-Planta 72: 155-161, 1967.
- Karmoker, J.L., Van Steveninck, R.F.: The effect of abscisic acid on sugar levels in seedlings of Phaseolus vulgaris L. cv. Redland Pioneer.-Planta 146: 25-30, 1979.
- Karunagaran, D., Mohana, M.N., Usha, V.: Influence of axis on hydrolase development in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) cotyledons during germination.-Indian J. Plant Physiol. 35: 300-304, 1992.
- Khatra, S.S., Kumar, R., Malik, C.P.: Starch degradation and its utilization in germinating seeds of gram Cicer arietinum L. as affected by salt stress.-Indian J. Ecol. 12: 51-55, 1985.
- Kocacaliskan, I.: Effect of salinity on polyphenol oxidase during seed gemination.-Doga Turk Bot. Dergisi 15: 41-49, 1990.
- Morohashi, Y., Shimkoriyama, M.: Physiological studies on germination of Phaseolus mungo seeds. I. Development of respiration and changes in the contents of constituents in the early stages of germination.-J. exp. Bot. 23: 43-53, 1972.
- Murumkar, C.V., Chavan, P.D.: Salinity induced biochemical changes during germination of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.).-Acta agron. hung. 36: 43-49, 1987.
- Muthukumarasamy, M., Panneerselvam, R.: Effect of triadimefon and salinity stress on carbohydrate metabolism in radish seedlings.-Indian J. Plant Physiol. 2 (New Series): 242-244, 1997.
- Nassery, H.: Salt induced loss of potassium from plant roots.-New Phytol. 83: 23-27, 1979.
- Onkware, A.O.: The germination, growth and grain production on salt stressed finger millet (Eleusine coracana L. Gaertn).-Indian J. Plant Physiol. 36: 77-81, 1993.
- Ordin, L.: Effect of water stress on cell wall metabolism of Avena coleoptile tissue.-Plant Physiol. 35: 443-450, 1960.
- Pitman, M.G.; Mowat, S., Nair, H.B.: Interaction of processes for accumulation of salt and sugar in barley roots.-Aust. J. biol. Sci. 24: 619-631, 1971.
- Prisco, J.T., O'Leary, J.W.: Osmotic and toxic effects of salinity on germination of Phaseolus vulgaris L. seeds.-Turrialba 20: 177-184, 1970.
- Siddiqui, S., Krishnamoorthy, H.N.: Effect of B9 on the carbohydrate metabolism of cowpea (Vigna ungiculata L.) seedlings under saline conditions.-Indian J. Plant Physiol. 38: 164-167, 1995.
- Simon, E.W., Meany, A.: Utilization of reserves in germinating Phaseolus seeds.-Plant Physiol. 40: 1136-1139, 1965.
- Simon, E.W., Raja Harun, R.M.: Leakage during seed imbibition.-J. exp. Bot. 23: 1076-1085, 1972.
- Sheoran, I.S.: Changes in amylase during germination and early seedling growth of mungbean under different salts.-Indian J. Plant Physiol. 23: 169-173, 1980.
- Uhvits, H.: Effect of osmotic pressure on water absorption and germination of alfalfa seeds.-Amer. J. Bot. 33: 278-285, 1946.
- Yemm, E.W., Willis, A.J.: The estimation of carbohydrates in plant extracts by anthrone.-Biochem. J. 57: 508-514, 1954.
- Vigna Radiata Seed Germination under Salinity
Volume 43, Issue 3 , pp 423-426
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- embryo axis
- seedling growth
- Industry Sectors