Radiation Electrification of Spacecraft Leeward Surfaces by Auroral Electrons in the Ionosphere
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A methodology of the physical modeling of radiation electrification of the leeward surfaces of the materials used to construct space vehicles by auroral electrons, when the vehicles are flown supersonically around by the ionospheric plasma at low and middle heights, is developed. Based on laboratory modeling, numerical experiments, and in situ observations, the dependencies of charging levels and equilibrium potentials on the ratio of the auroral electron density to the positive ions in the near wake behind the body and in the undisturbed plasma are determined.
- Gussenhoven, M.S., Hardy, D.A., Rich, F., et al., High-Level Spacecraft Charging in the Low-Altitude Polar Auroral Environment, J. Geophysical Research, 1985, vol. 90, no. 11, p. 11009.
- Anderson, P.C. and Koons, H.C., Spacecraft Charging Anomaly at Low-Altitude Satellite in an Aurora, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, 1996, vol. 33, no. 5, p. 734.
- Zaidel', R.M., Effects of Dielectric Electrification in Onboard Communication Lines of Spacecraft, Kosm. Issled., 1993, vol. 31, no. 4, p. 123.
- Zaidel', R.M., The Effect of Inhomogeneous Density of Charges Produced on a Spacecraft Surface, Kosm. Issled., 1991, vol. 29, no. 1, p. 149.
- Laframboise, J.G. and Luo, J., High-Voltage Polar Orbit and Beam-Induced Charging of a Dielectric Spacecraft: a Wake-Induced Barrier Effect Mechanism, J. Geophys. Res., 1989, vol. 94, no. 7, p. 9033.
- Wang, J., Lenng, P., Garret, H., and Murphy, G., Multibody-Plasma Interactions: Charging in the Wake, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, 1994, vol. 31, no. 5, p. 889.
- Al'pert, Ya.L., Gurevich, A.V., and Pitaevskii, L.P., Iskusstvennye Sputniki v Razrezhennoi Plazme (Artificial Satellites in a Rarefied Plasma), Moscow: Nauka, 1964.
- Antonov, V.M. and Ponomarenko, A.G., Laboratornye issledovaniya effektov elektrizatsii kosmicheskikh apparatov (Laboratory Studies of Effects of Spacecraft Electrification), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1992.
- Landau, L.D. and Lifshits, E.M., Elektrodinamika sploshnykh sred (Electrodynamics of Continua), Moscow: Fizmatgiz, 1959.
- Shuvalov, V.A., Modelirovanie vzaimodeistviya tel s ionosferoi (Modeling of Interactions of Bodies with the Ionosphere), Kiev: Nauk. Dumka, 1995.
- Shuvalov, V.A., Priimak, A.I., and Gubin, V.V., Radiative Electrification of Spacecraft Construction Elements: Physical Modeling of Charge Accumulations and Neutralization, Kosm. Issled., 2001, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 18–26.
- Sajben, M. and Blumental, D., Experimental Study of a Rarefied Plasma Stream and Its Interaction with Simple Bodies, AJAA Paper, 1969, no. 69–79, p. 13.
- Khester, S. and Sonin, A., Laboratory Studies of a Wake after an Ionosphere Satellite, Raketn. Tekhn. Kosmonavt., 1970, vol. 8, no. 6, p. 125.
- Nosachev, L.V. and Skvortsov, V.V., Investigation of Slow Ions in a Rarefied Plasma Stream Using a Multi-Electrode Probe, Uchenye Zapiski TsAGI, 1973, vol. 4, no. 3, p. 32.
- Pigache, D., A Laboratory Simulation of the Ionospheric Plasma, AJAA Paper, 1971, no. 71–608, p. 13.
- Nosachev, L.V. and Skvortsov, V.V., A Study of Ion Current Distribution in a Wake Produced by Cylindrical and Spherical Bodies in a Stream of Argon and Nitrogen Plasma, Uchenye Zapiski TsAGI, 1970, vol. 1, no. 5, p.-39.
- Shuvalov, V.A., Flow of a Stream of Nonequilibrium Rarefied Plasma over a Sphere, Geomagn. Aeron., 1979, vol. 19, no. 6, p. 994.
- Morgan, M.A., Chan, C., and Allen, R.C., A Laboratory Study of the Electron Temperature in the Near Wake of a Conducting Body, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1987, vol. 14, no. 11, p. 1170.
- Parker, L.W., Differential Charging and Sheath Asymmetry of Nonconducting Spacecraft due to Plasma Flows, J. Geophys. Res., 1978, vol. 83, no. 9, p. 4873.
- Knudsen, W.C. and Harris, K.K., Ion-Impact-Produced Secondary Electron Emission and Its Effect on Space Instrumentation Mechanism, J. Geophys. Res., 1973, vol. 78, no. 7, p. 1145.
- Wang, J. and Hastings, D.E., Ionospheric Plasma Flow over Large High-Voltage Space Platforms. II: the Formation and Structure of Plasma Wake, Phys. Fluids B, 1992, vol. 4, no. 6, p. 1615.
- Gurevich, A.V., Pitaevskii, L.P., and Smirnova, V.V., Aerodynamics in the Ionosphere, Usp. Fiz. Nauk, 1969, vol. 99, no. 1, p. 3.
- Samir, V. and Stone, N., Shuttle-Era Experiments in the Area Plasma Flow Interaction with Body in Space, Acta Astronautica, 1980, vol. 7, no. 10, p. 1091.
- Smirnova, V.V., A Discrete Model of Rarified Plasma Plane Flowing over Bodies, Geomagn. Aeron., 1971, vol. 11, no. 2, p. 230.
- Samir, V., Bodies in Flowing Plasma Spacecraft Measurements, Adv. Space Res., 1981, vol. 1, MS, p. 373.
- Samir, V., Weldman, P.J., Rich, F., et al., About the Parametric Interplay between Ionic Mach Number, Body Size, and Satellite Potential in Determining the Ion Depletion in the S3–2 Satellite, J. Geophys. Res., 1981, vol. 86, no. 13, p. 11161.
- Shuvalov, V.A., Structure of Near Wake behind a Cylinder in a Rarefied Plasma Stream, Geomagn. Aeron., 1980, vol. 20, no. 3, p. 425.
- Samir, V., Stone, N.A., and Wright, K.H., On Plasma Disturbances Caused by the Motion of the Space Shuttle and Small Satellite: a Comparison of in Situ Observation, J. Geophys. Res., 1986, vol. 91, no. 1, p. 277.
- Murphy, G.B., Reasoner, D.L., Tribble, A., et al., The Plasma Wake of the Shuttle Orbiter, J. Geophys. Res., 1989, vol. 94, no. 6, p. 6866.
- Samir, V., Gordon, R., Brace, L., and Theis, R., The Near-Wake Structure of the Atmosphere Explorer-C (AE-C) Satellite: A Parametric Investigation, J. Geophys. Res., 1979, vol. 84, no. 2, p. 513.
- Samir, V., Kaufman, Y., Brace, L., and Brinton, H., The Dependence of Ion Density in the Wake of the AE-C Satellite on the Ratio Body Size to Debye Length in on [O+]-Dominated Plasma, J. Geophys. Res., 1979, vol. 84, no. 2, p. 513.
- Senbetu, L. and Henley, J.R., Distribution of Plasma Density and Potential around a Mesothermal Ionosphere Object, J. Geophys. Res., 1989, vol. 94, no. 5, p. 5441.
- Isensee, U., Lehz, W., and Maasberg, H., A Numerical Model to Calculate the Wake Structure of a Spacecraft under Ionospheric Conditions, Adv. Space Res., 1981, vol. 1, no. 2, p. 49.
- Labramboise, J., Theory of Spherical and Cylindrical Langmuir Probe in a Collisionless Plasma at Rest, in Rarefied Gas Dynamics, New York: Academic, 1965, vol. 2, p. 22.
- Scharfman, W., Comparison of a Modified Langmuir Probe Analysis with Computer Solutions of Electrostatic Probes, Phys. Fluids, 1968, vol. 11, no. 4, p. 689.
- Sharfman, I. and Talbot, U., Using Ion Probes under Conditions of a Supersonic Stream of Plasma, Raketnaya tekhnika i kosmonavtika, 1970, vol. 8, no. 6, p. 97.
- Langmuir, J. and Blodgett, K., Currents Limited by Space Charge between Coaxial Cylinders, Phys. Rev., 1923, vol. 22, no. 4, p. 317.
- Hill, J.R. and Wiipple, E.K., Electrification of Large Structures in Space as Applied to the Problem of Space Flights with Solar Sail, Aerokosmich. Tekh., 1986, no. 3, p. 122.
- Davies, R.E. and Dennison, J.R., Evolution of Secondary Electron Emission Characteristics of Spacecraft Surface, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, 1998, vol. 34, no. 4, p.-571.
- Bronshtein, I.M., and Fraiman, B.S., Vtorichnaya elektronnaya emissiya (Secondary Electron Emission), Moscow: Nauka, 1969.
- Gurevich, A.V. and Shvartsburg, A.B., Nelineinaya Teoriya Rasprostraneniya Radiovoln v Ionosfere (Nonlinear Theory of Radiowave Propagation in the Ionosphere), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.
- Radiation Electrification of Spacecraft Leeward Surfaces by Auroral Electrons in the Ionosphere
Volume 41, Issue 4 , pp 413-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links