Faculty/Student Mentor Program: Effects on Academic Performance and Retention
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A university faculty/student mentor program was evaluated for its effects on academic performance and retention. A matched pairs design was used in which 339 undergraduates assigned to mentors were paired with nonmentored students based on gender, ethnicity, GPA, and entering enrollment status. The results showed a higher GPA for mentored students (2.45 vs. 2.29), more units completed per semester (9.33 vs. 8.49), and lower dropout rate (14.5% vs. 26.3%). Amount of mentor-protege contact was positively correlated with GPA. Academic achievement and retention were unrelated to gender and ethnicity of the mentor, the protégé, or the gender and ethnic match between the two.
- Atkinson, D. R., Neville, H., and Casas, A. (1991). The mentorship of ethnic minorities in professional psychology. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 22: 336–338.
- Busch, J. W. (1985). Mentoring in graduate schools of education: Mentors' perceptions. American Educational Research Journal 22: 257–265.
- Cesa, I. L., and Fraser, S. C. (1989). A method of encouraging the development of good mentor-protégé relationships. Teaching of Psychology 16: 125–128.
- Cosgrove, T. J. (1986). The effects of participation in a mentoring-transcript program on freshmen. Journal of College Student Personnel 27: 119–124.
- Dreher, G. F., and Ash, R. A. (1990). A comparative study of mentoring among men and women in managerial, professional, and technical positions. Journal of Applied Psychology 75: 539–546.
- Fagenson, E. A. (1989). The mentor advantage: Perceived career/job experiences of proteges versus non-protégés. Journal of Organizational Behavior 10: 309–320.
- Fitt, L. W., and Newton, D. A. (1981). When the mentor is a man and the protégé is a woman. Harvard Business Review 59: 56–60.
- Frierson, H. T., Hargrove, B. K., and Lewis, N. R. (1994). Black summer research students' perceptions related to research mentors' race and gender. Journal of College Student Development 35: 475–480.
- Hughes, M. S. (1988). Developing leadership potential for minority women. In M. A. D. Sagaria (ed.), Empowering Women: Leadership Development Strategies on Campus. New Directions for Student Services: No. 44 (pp. 63–75). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Jacobi, M. (1991). Mentoring and undergraduate academic success: A literature review. Review of Educational Research 61: 505–532.
- Johnson, C. S. (1989). Mentoring programs. In M. L. Upcraft and J. Gardner (eds.), The Freshman Year Experience: Helping Students Survive and Succeed in College (pp. 118–128). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Kram, K. E. (1985). Mentoring at Work: Developmental Relationships in Organizational Life. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman & Co.
- Meznek, J., McGrath, P., and Garcia, F. (1989). The Puente Project. A Report to the Board of Governors, California Community Colleges. Sacramento: Office of the Chancellor (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 307 920).
- Noe, R. A. (1988). An investigation of the determinants of successful assigned mentoring relationships. Personnel Psychology 41: 457–479.
- Posavac, E. J., and Carey, R. G. (1992). Program Evaluation, 4th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Queen, K. W. (1994). Meeting affective needs of at-risk adolescents. Psychological Reports 74: 753–754.
- Rice, M. B., and Brown, R. D. (1990). Developmental factors associated with self-perceptions of mentoring competence and mentoring needs. Journal of College Student Development 31: 293–299.
- Smith, E. P., and Davidson, W. S. (1992). Mentoring and the development of African-American graduate students. Journal of College Student Development 33: 531–539.
- Ugbah, S., and Williams, S. A. (1989). The mentor-protege relationship: Its impact on blacks in predominantly white institutions. In J. C. Elam (ed.), Blacks in Higher Education: Overcoming the Odds (pp. 29–42). Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Wilde, J. B., and Schau, C. G. (1991). Mentoring in graduate schools of education: Mentees' perceptions. Journal of Experimental Education 59: 165–179.
- Faculty/Student Mentor Program: Effects on Academic Performance and Retention
Research in Higher Education
Volume 38, Issue 6 , pp 727-742
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links