Heart-Focused Anxiety and Chest Pain in Postangiography Medical Patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The present cross-sectional study sought to examine the extent to which heart-focused anxiety is associated with the co-occurrence of coronary artery disease (CAD) and a history of regular smoking in a sample of 148 postangiography patients from a cardiology unit. Individuals with CAD who regularly smoked demonstrated significantly greater heart-focused attention, but no greater degree of avoidance and fear of heart-focused sensations, than did nonsmoking persons with CAD and smokers without CAD. We also found evidence that heart-focused attention and fear incrementally predicted (above and beyond demographic variables and body mass index) intensity of average chest pain. Overall, this study provides some of the first empirical evidence that the co-occurrence of regular smoking and CAD is associated with specific dimensions of health anxiety. We discuss these findings in relation to models of panic pathology and anxious responding to bodily sensations.
- Aikens, J. E., Michael, E., Levin, T., Myers, T. M., Lowry, E., and McCracken, L. M. (1999). Cardiac exposure history as a determinant of symptoms and emergency department utilization in noncardiac chest pain patients. J. Behav. Med. 22: 605–617.
- Aikens, J. E., Zvolensky, M. J., and Eifert, G. H. (2001). Fear of cardiopulmonary sensations in emergency room noncardiac chest pain patients. J. Behav. Med. 24: 155–167.
- Amering, M., Bankier, B., Berger, P., Griengl, H., Windhaber, J., and Katschnig, H. (1999). Panic disorder and cigarette smoking behavior. Compr. Psychiatry 40: 35–38.
- Bass, E. B., Follansbee, W. P., and Orchard, T. J. (1989). Comparison of a supplemented rose questionnaire to exercise thallium testing in men and women. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 42: 385–394.
- Bouton, M. E., Mineka, S., and Barlow, D. H. (2001). A modern learning theory perspective on the etiology of panic disorder. Psychol. Rev. 108: 4–32.
- Breslau, N., and Klein, D. F. (1999). Smoking and panic attacks: An epidemiologic investigation. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 56: 1141–1147.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1999). Cigarette smoking among adults—United States, 1997. Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 48: 993–996.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical Power Analysis, 2nd ed. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Diamond, G. (1983). A clinically relevant classification of chest discomfort. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1: 574–575.
- Ehlers, A., and Breuer, P. (1992). Increased cardiac awareness in panic disorder. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 101: 371–382.
- Eifert, G. H., and Wilson, P. H. (1991). The triple response approach to assessment: A conceptual and methodological appraisal. Behav. Res. Ther. 29: 283–292.
- Eifert, G. H. (1992). Cardiophobia: A paradigmatic behavioral model of heart-focused anxiety and non-anginal chest pain. Behav. Res. Ther. 30: 329–345.
- Eifert, G. H., Thompson, R. N., Zvolensky, M. J., Edwards, K., Haddad, J. H., Frazer, N. L., and Davig, J. (2000a). The Cardiac Anxiety Questionnaire: Development and preliminary validity. Behav. Res. Ther. 38: 1039–1053.
- Eifert, G. H., Zvolensky, M. J., and Lejuez, C. W. (2000b). Heart-focused anxiety and chest pain: A conceptual and clinical review. Clin. Psychol. Sci. Prac. 7: 403–417.
- Eifert, G. H., Zvolensky, M. J., Sorrell, J. T., Hopko, D. R., and Lejuez, C. W. (1999). Predictors of self-reported anxiety and panic symptoms: An evaluation of anxiety sensitivity, suffocation fear, heart-focused anxiety, and breath-holding duration. J. Psychopathol. Behav. Assess. 21: 293–305.
- Furer, P., Walker, J. R., and Freeston, M. H. (2001). Integrated approach to cognitive–behavioral therapy for intense illness worries. In Asmundson, G., Taylor, S., and Cox, B. J. (Eds.), Health Anxiety: Clinical and Research Perspectives on Hypochondriasis and Related Conditions, Wiley, New York, pp. 161–192.
- Gotto, A. M. (1992). Risk factors for atherosclerosis. In Gotto, A. (Ed.), Atherosclerosis, Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI, pp. 33–50.
- Hadjistavropoulos, H. D., Owens, K. B., Hadjistavropoulos, T., and Asmundson, G. J. G. (2001). Hypochondriasis and health anxiety among pain patients. In Asmundson, G., Taylor, S., and Cox, B. J. (Eds.), Health Anxiety: Clinical and Research Perspectives on Hypochondriasis and Related Conditions, Wiley, New York.
- Heatherton, T. F., Kozlowski, L. T., Frecker, R. C., and Fagerstrom, K. O. (1991). The Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence: A revision of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire. Br. J. Addic. 86: 1119–1127.
- Howell, D. C. (1997). Statistical Methods for Psychology, Duxbury, Albany, NY.
- Johnson, J. G., Cohen, P., Pine, D. S., Klein, D. F., Kasen, S., and Brook, J. S. (2000). Association between cigarette smoking and anxiety disorders during adolescence and early adulthood. JAMA 284: 2348–2351.
- Kennedy, B. L., and Schwab, J. J. (1997). Utilization of medical specialists by anxiety disorder patients. Psychosomatics 38: 109–112.
- Keppel, G. (1991). Design and Analysis: A Researcher's Handbook, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Klimes, I., Mayou R. A., Pearce, M. J., Coles, L., and Fagg, J. R. (1990). Psychological treatment for atypical non-cardiac chest pain: A controlled evaluation. Psychol. Med. 20: 605–611.
- Lang, P. J. (1971). The application of psychophysiological models to the study of psychotherapy and behavior modification. In Bergin, A. E., and Garfield, S. L. (Eds.), Handbook of Psychotherapy and Behavior Change: An Empirical Analysis, Wiley, New York, pp. 75–125.
- Lilienfeld, S. O., Turner, S. M., and Jacob, R. G. (1993). Anxiety sensitivity: An examination of theoretical and methodological issues. Adv. Behav. Res. Ther. 15: 147–183.
- Lovibond, P. F., Siddle, D. A. T., and Bond, N. (1993). Resistance to extinction of fear-relevant stimuli: Preparedness or selective sensitization? J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 122: 449–461.
- Lucock, M. P., and Morley, S. (1996). The Health Anxiety Questionnaire. Br. J. Health Psychol. 1: 137–150.
- Mathews, A., and MacLeod, C. (1994). Cognitive approaches to emotion and emotional disorders. Ann. Rev. Psychol. 45: 25–50.
- McNally, R. J. (1996). Anxiety sensitivity is distinct from trait anxiety. In Rapee, R. M. (Ed.), Current Controversies in the Anxiety Disorders, Guilford, New York, pp. 214–227.
- McNeil, D. W., and Rainwater, A. J., (1998). Development of the Fear of Pain Questionnaire—III. J. Behav. Med. 21: 389–410.
- Ohman, A., and Mineka, S. (2001). Fears, phobias, and preparedness: Toward an evolved module of fear and fear learning. Psychol. Rev. 108: 483–522.
- Ohman, A., Hamm, A., and Hugdahl, K. (2000). Cognition and the autonomic nervous system: Orienting, anticipation, and conditioning. In Cacioppo, J. T., Tassinary, L. G., and Berntson, G. G. (Eds.), Handbook of Psychophysiology, Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 522–575.
- Ohman, A., and Soares, J. J. F. (1998). Emotional conditioning to masked stimuli: Expectancies for aversive outcomes following nonrecognized fear-relevant stimuli. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 127: 69–82.
- Schmidt, N. B., and Cook, J. H. (1999). Effects of anxiety sensitivity on anxiety and pain during a cold pressor challenge in patients with panic disorder. Behav. Res. Ther. 37: 313–323.
- Skorton, D. J., and Ryan, T. J. (1992). Diagnosis of coronary artery disease. In Gotto, A. (Ed.), Atherosclerosis, Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI, pp. 89–127.
- Tew, R., Guthried, E. A., Creed, F. H., and Cotter, J. L. (1995). A long-term follow-up of patients with ischemic heart disease versus patients with nonspecific chest pain. J. Psychosom. Res. 39: 977–985.
- Visser, S., and Bouman, T. K. (1992). Cognitive–behavioural approaches in the treatment of hypochondriasis: Six single case cross-over studies. Behav. Res. Ther. 30: 301–306.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Feldner, M. T., Eifert, G. H., and Brown, R. A. (2001a). Affective style among smokers: Understanding anxiety sensitivity, emotional reactivity, and distress tolerance using biological challenge. Addict. Behav. 26: 901–915.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Goodie, J. L., McNeil, D. W., Sperry, J. A., and Sorrell, J. T. (2001b). Anxiety sensitivity in the prediction of pain-related fear and anxiety in a heterogeneous chronic pain population. Behav. Res. Ther. 39: 683–696.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Forsyth, J. P., Fuse, T., Feldner, M. T., and Feldner, E. L. (2002). Panic attacks and smoking. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. 31: 170–182.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Schmidt, N. B., and McCreary, B. T. (in press-b). The impact of smoking on panic disorder: An initial investigation of a pathoplastic relationship. J. Anxiety Disorders.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Schmidt, N. B., and Stewart, S. H. (2003). Panic disorder and smoking. Clin. Psychol: Sci. Prac. 10: 29–51.
- Heart-Focused Anxiety and Chest Pain in Postangiography Medical Patients
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 197-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- health anxiety
- heart disease