Short Communication: Does Preejaculatory Penile Secretion Originating from Cowper's Gland Contain Sperm?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Purpose: To determine if spermatozoa are present in the preejaculatory penile secretion, originating from Cowper's gland.
Methods: Design: Prospective clinical and laboratory study. Setting: Andrology and Sex Counseling Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Academic Teaching Hospital. Patients: Five patients referred for premature ejaculation, three for excessive fluid secreted during foreplay and four normal healthy volunteers. Intervention: Glass slide smears of preejaculatory Cowper's gland secretion obtained during foreplay from at least two different occasions, and semen samples after masturbation. Main Outcome Measures: Microscopic examination of air-dried smears, and routine semen analyses.
Results: None of the preejaculatory samples contained sperm. All the patients had sperm in routine sperm analyses.
Conclusions: Preejaculatory fluid secreted at the tip of the urethra from Cowper's gland during sexual stimulation did not contain sperm and therefore cannot be responsible for pregnancies during coitus interruptus.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Masters WH, Johnson VE (Eds.): Human Sexual Response, Vol. 211. Boston, Little, Brown Company. 1966, p 293
- Masters WH, Johnson VE, KolodnyRC (Eds.): Human Sexuality. Boston, Little, Brown and Company. 1982, p 51
- FrancoeurRT (ed.): Becoming a Sexual Person. Vol. 143. New York, Wiley. 1982, p 285
- McCaryJL (ed.): McCary's Human Sexuality, 3rd edn. New York, Van Nostrand. 1978, p 51
- Sandler J, Myerson M, Kinder BN (Eds.): Human Sexuality–Current Perspectives. Tampa, FL, Mariner Publishing. 1980, p 60
- Hatcher RH, Stewart GK, Guest F (Eds.): Contraception Technology. New York, Livingston Publishers. 1976/77
About this Article
- Short Communication: Does Preejaculatory Penile Secretion Originating from Cowper's Gland Contain Sperm?
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 157-159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cowper's gland
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Andrology Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Israel
- 2. Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 3. Male Infertility Clinic, Kupat Holim Me'uhedet, Jerusalem, Israel