Short Communication: Does Preejaculatory Penile Secretion Originating from Cowper's Gland Contain Sperm?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose: To determine if spermatozoa are present in the preejaculatory penile secretion, originating from Cowper's gland.
Methods: Design: Prospective clinical and laboratory study. Setting: Andrology and Sex Counseling Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Academic Teaching Hospital. Patients: Five patients referred for premature ejaculation, three for excessive fluid secreted during foreplay and four normal healthy volunteers. Intervention: Glass slide smears of preejaculatory Cowper's gland secretion obtained during foreplay from at least two different occasions, and semen samples after masturbation. Main Outcome Measures: Microscopic examination of air-dried smears, and routine semen analyses.
Results: None of the preejaculatory samples contained sperm. All the patients had sperm in routine sperm analyses.
Conclusions: Preejaculatory fluid secreted at the tip of the urethra from Cowper's gland during sexual stimulation did not contain sperm and therefore cannot be responsible for pregnancies during coitus interruptus.
- Masters WH, Johnson VE (Eds.): Human Sexual Response, Vol. 211. Boston, Little, Brown Company. 1966, p 293
- Masters WH, Johnson VE, KolodnyRC (Eds.): Human Sexuality. Boston, Little, Brown and Company. 1982, p 51
- FrancoeurRT (ed.): Becoming a Sexual Person. Vol. 143. New York, Wiley. 1982, p 285
- McCaryJL (ed.): McCary's Human Sexuality, 3rd edn. New York, Van Nostrand. 1978, p 51
- Sandler J, Myerson M, Kinder BN (Eds.): Human Sexuality–Current Perspectives. Tampa, FL, Mariner Publishing. 1980, p 60
- Hatcher RH, Stewart GK, Guest F (Eds.): Contraception Technology. New York, Livingston Publishers. 1976/77
- Short Communication: Does Preejaculatory Penile Secretion Originating from Cowper's Gland Contain Sperm?
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 157-159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cowper's gland
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Andrology Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Israel
- 2. Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 3. Male Infertility Clinic, Kupat Holim Me'uhedet, Jerusalem, Israel