Short Communication: Does Preejaculatory Penile Secretion Originating from Cowper's Gland Contain Sperm?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose: To determine if spermatozoa are present in the preejaculatory penile secretion, originating from Cowper's gland.
Methods: Design: Prospective clinical and laboratory study. Setting: Andrology and Sex Counseling Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Academic Teaching Hospital. Patients: Five patients referred for premature ejaculation, three for excessive fluid secreted during foreplay and four normal healthy volunteers. Intervention: Glass slide smears of preejaculatory Cowper's gland secretion obtained during foreplay from at least two different occasions, and semen samples after masturbation. Main Outcome Measures: Microscopic examination of air-dried smears, and routine semen analyses.
Results: None of the preejaculatory samples contained sperm. All the patients had sperm in routine sperm analyses.
Conclusions: Preejaculatory fluid secreted at the tip of the urethra from Cowper's gland during sexual stimulation did not contain sperm and therefore cannot be responsible for pregnancies during coitus interruptus.
- Masters, WH, Johnson, VE eds. (1966) Human Sexual Response. Little, Brown Company, Boston
- Masters, WH, Johnson, VE, Kolodny, RC eds. (1982) Human Sexuality. Little, Brown and Company, Boston
- Francoeur, RT eds. (1982) Becoming a Sexual Person. Wiley, New York
- McCary, JL eds. (1978) McCary's Human Sexuality. Van Nostrand, New York
- Sandler, J, Myerson, M, Kinder, BN eds. (1980) Human Sexuality–Current Perspectives. Mariner Publishing, Tampa, FL
- Hatcher, RH, Stewart, GK, Guest, F eds. (1976) Contraception Technology. Livingston Publishers, New York
- Short Communication: Does Preejaculatory Penile Secretion Originating from Cowper's Gland Contain Sperm?
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 157-159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cowper's gland
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Andrology Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Israel
- 2. Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 3. Male Infertility Clinic, Kupat Holim Me'uhedet, Jerusalem, Israel