Radio-Frequency Hexamethyldisiloxane Plasma Deposition: A Comparison of Plasma- and Deposit-Chemistry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study reports on the effect of input power to hexamethyldisiloxane (HMDSO) plasmas. The power dependence of the plasma-phase species and of the surface chemistry (of the deposits) has been investigated. Neutral and positive molecular species were detected within the plasma using mass spectrometry (MS). Secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) was used to probe the molecular structure of the deposits. The elemental composition of the surface was determined by XPS and the deposition rate was monitored using a vibrating quartz crystal microbalance. Neutral and cationic molecules of mass greater than HMDSO were detected in the plasma. Their formation through ion-molecule reactions is proposed. Changes in the relative concentration of plasma-phase species follow those seen in molecular species detected at the deposit surface. Thus, we believe that the molecular structure of the deposits can be related to the species present in the plasma. While traditionally the dominant mechanism in deposit formation is assumed to be free radical combinations, we propose other possibilities involving cations with the aim of putting forward a new perspective on plasma polymerization mechanisms and thereby stimulating discussion.
- S. Morita and S. Hattori, Applications of plasma polymers, in Plasma Deposition, Treatment, and Etching of Polymers, R. d'Agostino (ed.), Academic Press, pp. 423-462 (1990).
- P. Fayer, J. Laurent, and A. Rime, Plasma deposited barrier coatings for food packaging, in ECASIA Montreux, Switzerland, October '9–13, Abstracts, H. J. Mathieu (ed.), TC-13 (1995).
- A. M. Wróbel and M. R. Wertheimer, Plasma-polymerized organosilicones and organometallics, in Plasma Deposition, Treatment, and Etching of Polymers, R. d'Agostino (ed.), Academic Press, pp. 163-268 (1990).
- M. R. Alexander, R. D. Short, F. R. Jones, W. Michaeli, M. Stollenwerk, G. Mathar, and J. Zabold, The heterogenous nature of hexamethyldisiloxane (HMDSO) plasma deposits, Ceramic films and coatings, British Ceramic Proceedings No. 54, Institute of Materials, pp. 87-99 (1995).
- M. R. Alexander, R. D. Short, F. R. Jones, M. Stollenwerk, J. Zabold, and W. Michaeli, J. Mater. Sci. 31, 1879 (1996).
- S. Eufinger, W. J. van Ooij, and K. D. Conners, DC-Plasma Polymerization of Hexamethyl-disiloxane Part II. Surface and interface characterization of films deposited on stainless steel substrates, Surface and Interface Analysis, April 1996 (in press).
- A. M. Wróbel, M. Kryszewski, and M. Gazicki J. Macromol. Sci.-Chem. A20, 583 (1983).
- M. R. Alexander, R. D. Short, F. R. Jones, M. Stollenwerk, J. Zabold, and W. Michaeli, The chemistry and morphology of deposits formed from hexamethyldisiloxane plasmas, J. Mater. Chem. (in preparation).
- A. K. Hays., Proc. Electrochemical Soc. 75, 82-86, (1982).
- A. M. Wróbel, G. Czeremuszkin, H. Szymanowski, and J. Kowalski, Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing. 10, 277 (1990).
- A. M. Sarmadi, T. H. Ying, and F. Denes, Eur. Polym. J. 31, 847 (1995).
- A. A. Howling, L. Sansonnens, J.-L. Dorier, and Ch. Hollenstein, J. Appl. Phys. 75, 1340 (1994).
- M. L. Mandich and W. D. Reents, J. Chem. Phys. 96, 4233 (1992).
- J. Eccles and J. C. Vickerman, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 7, 234 (1989).
- D. Briggs, A. Brown, and J. C. Vickerman, Handbook of Static SIMS John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, p. 50.
- L. O'Toole, R. D. Short, A. P. Ameen, and F. R. Jones J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 91, 1363 (1995).
- A. M. Leeson, M. R. Alexander, R. D. Short, D. Briggs, and M. J. Hearn, Surface and Interface Analysis 25, 261(1997).
- P. V. Wright and M. S. Beevers, Preparation of cyclic polysiloxanes, in Cyclic Polymers J. A. Semlyen (ed.), Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, p. 85 (1986).
- D. Wang, F. R. Jones, and P. Denison, J. Adhesion Sci. Technol. 6, 79 (1992).
- M. J. Vasile and G. Smolinsky, J. Electrochem. Soc. Electrochem. Sci. Tech. 119, 451 (1972).
- M. R. Alexander, F. R. Jones, and R. D. Short, J. Phys. Chem. B 101, 3614-3619 (1997).
- A. M. Wróbel, M. R. Wertheimer, J. Dib, and H. P. Schreiber, J. Macromol. Sci.-Chem. A14, 321 (1980).
- A. Grill, Cold Plasma in Materials Fabrication from Fundamentals to Applications, IEEE Press, New York, 1994.
- L. O'Toole, A. J. Beck, A. P. Ameen, F. R. Jones, and R. D. Short, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 91, 3907 (1995).
- Radio-Frequency Hexamethyldisiloxane Plasma Deposition: A Comparison of Plasma- and Deposit-Chemistry
Plasmas and Polymers
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 277-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Plasma deposition
- mass spectrometry
- surface chemical analysis
- gas phase oligomerization