Family Unification with Reactive Attachment Disorder Children: A Brief Treatment
- Raymond J. Taylor
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This is a case study of a family with a child (age eight) with reactive attachment disorder and the subsequent individual and family therapy. Treatment of choice for the child was Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and supportive educational counseling for the parents and family. Qualitative evaluation of the process demonstrated that the parents observed an instant change in the child's attitude. The child reported that she felt better about family, school, and truthfulness, and stated about the therapy: “It opened a window for me.” A 12-month evaluation demonstrated continued positive effects.
- American Psychiatric Association (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Azar, B. (1995, October). Research documents the success of EMDR. American Psychological Association, The Monitor, p. 11.
- Foster, S., & Lendl, J. (1994, March 4–6). Use of EMDR in peak performance. Paper presented at The EMDR annual conference, Sunnydale, CA.
- Levy, T., & Orlans, M. (1998). Attachment, trauma, and healing: Understanding and Treating attachment disorders in children and families. Washington, DC: CWLA Press.
- Marquis, J. (1991). A report on seventy-eight cases treated by eye movement desensitization. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychology, 22(3), 187–192.
- Puk, G. (1991). Treating traumatic memories: A case report on the eye movement desensitization procedure. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 22(2), 149–151.
- Shapiro, F. (1989). Efficacy of the eye movement desensitization procedure in the treatment of traumatic memories. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychology, 22(2), 149–151.
- Shapiro, F. (1995). Eyemovement and desensitization and reprocessing: Basic principles, practices, and procedures. New York: Guilford Press.
- Stellern, J. (1988). Emotional disturbance. Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming Press.
- Taylor, R. (1998). Reduction of pain and anxiety in labor and delivery using an EMDR model. Journal of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health, 13(2), 149–153.
- Wolpe, J. (1991). Post-traumatic stress disorder overcome by eye movement desensitization: A case report. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 22(1), 39–43.
- Family Unification with Reactive Attachment Disorder Children: A Brief Treatment
Contemporary Family Therapy
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 475-481
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- attachment disorder
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New Mexico Jr. College, 5317 Lovington Highway, Hobbs, NM, 88240