Carbothermal synthesis of titanium carbide using ultrafine titania powders
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The synthesis of titanium carbide (TiC) by the carbothermal reduction of carbon coated titanium dioxide (TiO2), a novel synthesis process, and titanium dioxide (TiO2) mixed with carbon black was investigated. A high surface area (64 m2g-1) TiO2 powder consisting of anatase and rutile phases was used for starting powders. The carbon coated method is a two-step process that utilizes a precursor derived from decomposing propylene (C3H6) and depositing carbon on the TiO2 particles. TiO2 powders were also mechanically mixed with carbon black for comparison. Both starting precursors and mixtures were reacted in a tube furnace for 2 and 4 h at temperatures of 1100°C to 1550°C under 1 l min-1 flowing argon. The TiC powders were characterized using thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), X-ray diffraction (XRD), Brunauer–Emmett–Teller (BET) surface area analyser, chemical analysis (oxygen and carbon) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The carbon coating process provides high contact area between the reactants which results in a TiC product with lower oxygen content (0.6 wt%), finer particle size (0.1 μm), and uniform shape when synthesized at 1550°C for 4 h.
- I. N. MIHAILESCU, M. L. DE GIORGE, C. H. BOULMER-LEBORGNE and S. URDEA, J. Appl. Phys. 75 (1994) 5286.
- S. SHIMADA and M. KOZEKI, J. Mater. Sci. 28 (1994) 1869.
- L. F. STASYUK and V.S. NESPHOR, Poroshkovaya Metallurgiya 8 (1987) 627.
- I. J. McCOLM and N. J. CLARK, “High performance ceramics”, (Blackie, London, 1986) p. 60.
- D. D. HARBUCK, C. F. DAVIDSON and B. MONTE, J. Metals 38 (1986) 47.
- B. SCHULTRICH, L. M. BERGER, J. HENKE and A. OSWALD, in Proceedings of the 2nd Plasma-Technik-Symposium, Lucerne, 5–7 June, 1991, Vol. 2 (Plasma-Technik, Wohlen, Switzerland, 1991) p. 363.
- K. THORNE, S. TING and C. J. CHU, J. Mater. Sci. 27 (1992) 4406.
- T. LICKO, V. FIGUSCH and J. PUCHYOVA, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 5 (1989) 25.
- S. DUNMEAD, W. MOORE and A. WEIMER, US Patent d5,380,688 (1993).
- S. D. DUNMEAD, Z. A. MUNIR and J. B. HOLT, J. Mater. Sci. 26 (1991) 2410.
- G. A. MEERSON and J. M. LIPKES, Russian J. Appl. Chem. 18 (1945) 24.
- G. A. MEERSON and O. E. KREIN, ibid. 25 (1952) 134.
- E. K. STORMS, “The refractory carbides”, Refractory Materials Series, Vol. 2 (Academic Press, New York, 1967) p. 1.
- Carbothermal synthesis of titanium carbide using ultrafine titania powders
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 32, Issue 12 , pp 3101-3111
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors