Comparison of air-drying methods for evaluating the desiccation tolerance of liquid culture-produced blastospores of Paecilomyces fumosoroseus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Various drying methods were tested to identify a standard procedure for evaluating the desiccation tolerance of liquid culture-produced blastospores of Paecilomyces fumosoroseus. Since our work is focused on optimizing fermentation conditions for the production of P. fumosoroseus, the criteria for selecting a drying method included ease of use, moderate spore survival after drying and limited variation in spore survival. Three air-drying methods were tested: P. fumosoroseus blastospores mixed with silica gel, with sand, or with diatomaceous earth. Humidity controlled drying was used in the diatomaceous earth drying method. Blastospore survivals after drying were 19% (C.V. range, 32 to 45%), 82% (C.V. range, 26 to 43%), and 2% (C.V. range 32 to 50%) for the silica gel, sand, and diatomaceous earth methods, respectively. Blastospores dried using the silica gel and sand methods had been rinsed in 0.7 m polyethylene glycol before drying and rehydrated in the same solution for determination of survival. The variation observed within each method was similar. The silica gel drying method was selected as most appropriate for our studies based on moderate blastospore survival (19%) and ease of use.
- Antheunisse, J. & Arkesteijn-Dijksman, L. 1979 Rate of drying and the survival of microorganisms. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, 45, 177–184.
- Beker, M.J., Blumbergs, J.E., Ventina, E.J. & Rapoport, A.I. 1984 Characteristics of cellular membranes of rehydration of dehydrated yeast. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 19, 347–352.
- Blachère, H., Calvez, J., Ferron, P., Corrieu, G. & Peringer, P. 1973 Etude de la formulation et de la conservation d'une préparation entomopathogène à base de blastospores de Beauveria tenella (Delacr. Siemaszko). Annales de Zoologie-Ecologie Animale 5, (I), 69–79.
- Cliquet, S. & Catroux, G. 1994 Influence of culture medium and growth stage on the survival of Bradyrhizobium japonicum during desiccation and storage at two relative humidities. Symbiosis 16, 279–287.
- Crowe, J.H., Carpenter, J.F., Crowe, L. & Anchordoguy, T.J. 1990 Are freezing and dehydration similar stress factors? A comparison of modes of interaction of stabilizing solutes with biomolecules. Cryobiology 27, 219–231.
- Harman, G.E., Jin, X., Stasz, T.E., Peruzzoti, G., Leopold, A.C. & Taylor, A.G. 1991 Production of conidial biomass of Trichoderma harzianum for biological control. Biological Control 1, 23–28.
- Hedgecock, S., Moore, D., Higgins, P.M. & Prior, C. 1995 Influence of moisture content on temperature tolerance and storage of Metarhizium flavoviride conidia in an oil formulation. Biocontrol Science and Technology 5, 371–377.
- Jackson, M.A. & Cliquet, S. 1995 Effect of the relative humidity of air-drying on survival of liquid culture produced blastospores of Paecilomyces fumosoroseus. Proceedings of the 28th Annual Meeting of the Society for Invertebrate Pathology, Ithaca, NY, p. 30.
- Jackson, M.A., McGuire, M.R., Lacey, L.A. & Wraight, S.P. 1997 Liquid culture production of desiccation tolerant blastospores of the bioinsecticide fungus Paecilomyces fumosoroseus. Mycological Research, 101, 35–41.
- Janning, B., In't Veld, P.H., Notermans, S. & Krämer, J. 1994 Resistance of bacterial strains to dry conditions: use of anhydrous silica gel in a desiccation model system. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 77, 319–324.
- Jung, G. & Mugnier, J. 1988 Inocula of low activity with improved resistance to temperature and rehydration, and preparation thereof. U.S. patent number 4,755, 468.
- Lane, B.S., Trinci, P.J. & Gillespie, A.T. 1991. Endogenous reserves and survival of blastospores of blastospores of Beauveria bassiana harvested from carbon-and nitrogen-limited batch cultures. Mycological Research 95, (7), 821–828.
- Lewis, J.A. & Papavizas, G.C. 1983 Production of chlamydospores and conidia by Trichoderma spp in liquid and solid growth media. Journal of Soil Biology and Biochemistry 15, 351–357.
- Smith, P. 1993 Control of Bemisia tabaci and the potential of Paecilomyces fumosoroseus as a biopesticide. Biocontrol News and Information 14, 71–78.
- Comparison of air-drying methods for evaluating the desiccation tolerance of liquid culture-produced blastospores of Paecilomyces fumosoroseus
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 299-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Desiccation drying
- Paecilomyces fumosoroseus
- Industry Sectors