Preparation of a visible-light-active TiO2 photocatalyst by RF plasma treatment
- T. IharaAffiliated withDepartment of Chemistry and Environmental Technology, Kinki University Email author
- , M. MiyoshiAffiliated withDepartment of Chemistry and Environmental Technology, Kinki University
- , M. AndoAffiliated withEcodevice Co. Ltd.
- , S. SugiharaAffiliated withEcodevice Co. Ltd.
- , Y. IriyamaAffiliated withDivision of Interdisciplinary Sciences, Yamanashi University
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In order to realize a visible (vis)-light-active TiO2 photocatalyst, reduction treatment using low-temperature hydrogen plasma with elevated temperatures was applied on anatase TiO2 powder of ST-01 without causing a phase transition to rutile. According to plasma-heat treatment, oxygen was evacuated from ST-01 particles and the colored ST-01, ivory to beige, was obtained. XPS results showed non-stoichiometric, expressed as TiO2−x } and x was increased with the increase of treating time. Plasma-heat treated ST-01 showed new ESR signal at g = 2.003 assigned to electrons trapped at the oxygen-defect site. This signal was strengthened when vis-light illumination was applied. Results of vis-light activity tests, evaluated by photocatalytic oxidation of benzoic acid in liquid phase and 2-propanol in gas phase using vis-light illumination (>406 nm), showed excellent activity while low ST-01 showed almost no activity on both tests.
- Preparation of a visible-light-active TiO2 photocatalyst by RF plasma treatment
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 36, Issue 17 , pp 4201-4207
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry and Environmental Technology, Kinki University, Higashi-Hiroshima, 739-2116, Japan
- 2. Ecodevice Co. Ltd., 3-26-2, Ryogoku, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, 130-0026, Japan
- 3. Division of Interdisciplinary Sciences, Yamanashi University, 4-4-37 Takeda, Kofu, 400-8510, Japan