Effects of Epithalon on Activities Gastrointestinal Enzymes in Young and Old Rats
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Peroral administration of Epithalon (Ala-Glu-Asp-Gly) to male and female Wistar rats aging 3 and 11 months changed activity of enzymes hydrolyzing carbohydrates, proteins, and phosphoric acid esters in various portions of the gastrointestinal tract. The most pronounced activation of enzymes was observed in 11-month-old animals. This effect diminished the differences in enzyme activities between young and old rats (compared to untreated animals). Our results indicate that Epithalon modulates activity of gastrointestinal enzymes during aging.
- A. A. Boldyrev, Carnosine: Biological Importance and Use in Clinical Practice [in Russian], Moscow (1998).
- L. N. Valenkevich, Human Digestive System during Aging [in Russian], Leningrad (1984).
- L. N. Valenkevich and A. M. Ugolev, Biology of Aging [in Russian], Leningrad (1982), pp. 343–369.
- O. A. Gomazkov, Functional Biochemistry of Regulatory Peptides [in Russian], Moscow (1992).
- B. I. Kuznik, V. G. Morozov, and V. Kh. Khavinson, Cytomedines: Experience of 25–Year Experimental and Clinical Studies [in Russian], St. Petersburg (1998).
- Membrane Hydrolysis and Transport. New Data and Hypotheses [in Russian], Ed. A. M. Ugolev, Leningrad (1986).
- V. G. Morozov, V. Kh. Khavinson, and V. V. Malinin, Peptide Thymomimetics [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2000).
- Ugolev, A. M., Egorova, V. V., Iezuitova, N. N. (1992) Fiziol. Zh. 78: pp. 29-37
- V. Kh. Khavinson and V. G. Morozov, Peptides from the Pineal Gland and Thymus in the Regulation of Aging [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2001).
- Khavinson, V. K., Popuchiev, V. V., Kvetnoi, I. M. (2000) Byull. Eksp. Biol. Med. 130: pp. 651-653
- Khavinson, V. K., Timofeeva, N. M., Malinin, V. V. (2001) Byull. Eksp. Biol. Med. 131: pp. 690-693
- Anisimov, V. N., Loktionov, A. S., Khavinson, V. K., Morozov, V. G. (1989) Mech. Ageing Dev. 49: pp. 245-257
- Ghanta, V. K., Hiramoto, N. S., Soong, S.-J., Hiramoto, R. N. (1991) Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 621: pp. 239-255
- Effects of Epithalon on Activities Gastrointestinal Enzymes in Young and Old Rats
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 133, Issue 3 , pp 290-292
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- digestive enzymes
- gastrointestinal tract
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology, Northwestern Division of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Russia
- 2. I. P. Pavlov Institute of Physiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia