Photosynthesis, Transpiration, and Water Use Efficiency of Vegetative and Reproductive Shoots of Grassland Species from North-Eastern China
- R.Z. Wang
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The differences in net photosynthetic rate (P N), transpiration rate (E), and water use efficiency (WUE) between the vegetative and reproductive shoots of three native grass species from the grassland of northeastern China [grey-green and yellow green populations of Leymus chinensis (Trin.) Tzvel., Puccinellia tenuiflora (Griseb) Scrib & Merr, Puccinellia chinampoensis Ohwi] were compared. The two type shoots experienced similar habitats, but differed in leaf life-span and leaf area. The leaf P N and WUE for the vegetative shoots were significantly higher than those for the reproductive shoots in the grasses, while their E were remarked lower in the dry season. Relative lower leaf P N and WUE for the reproductive shoots of grassland grasses may explain the facts of lower seed production and the subordinate role of seed in the grassland renewal in north-eastern China.
- Ackerly, D.D.: Light, leaf age, and leaf nitrogen concentration in a tropical vine.-Oecologia 89: 596-600, 1992.
- Anderson, J.E., Robert, S.N., Kaylie, E.R., Nancee, N.T.: Gas exchange and resource-use efficiency of Leymus cinereus (Poaceae): diurnal and seasonal responses to naturally declining soil moisture.-Amer. J. Bot. 82: 699-708, 1995.
- Bowman, W.D., Turner, L.: Photosynthetic sensibility to temperature in populations of two C4 Bouteloua species native to different altitudes.-Amer. J. Bot. 80: 369-374, 1993.
- Cabrera, H.M., Rada, F., Cavieres, L.: Effects of temperatures on photosynthesis of two morphologically contrasting plant species along an altitudinal gradient in tropical high Andes.-Oecologia 114: 145-152, 1998.
- Domros, M., Peng, G.B.: The Climate of China.-Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1988.
- Du, Z., Yang, Z.: [A preliminary study on light photosynthetic characteristic in the leaves at various age for Aneurolepidium chinense.]-Acta bot. sin. 30: 196-206, 1988. [In Chin.]
- Hamid, A., Agata, W., Kawamitsu, Y.: Photosynthesis, transpiration and water use efficiency in four cultivars of mungbean, Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek.-Photosynthetica 24: 96-101, 1990.
- Hikosaka, K., Terashima, I., Katoh, S.: Effects of leaf age, nitrogen nutrition and photon flux density on the distribution of nitrogen among leaves of a vine (Ipomoea tricolor Cav.) grown horizontally to avoid mutual shading of leaves.-Oecologia 97: 451-457, 1994.
- Jia, S.X.: Chinese Flora of Forage Plants.-Pp. 161-174. Chinese Agriculture Press, Beijing 1989.
- Jiang, G.M., He, W.M.: Species and habitat variability of photosynthesis, transpiration and water use efficiency of different plant species in Maowusu sand area.-Acta bot. sin. 41: 1114-1124, 1999.
- Jiang, G.M., Tang, H.P., Yu, M., Dong, M.: Response of photosynthesis of different plant functional types to environmental changes along Northeast China Transect.-Trees 14: 72-82, 1999.
- Kimenov, G.P., Markovska, Y.K., Tsonev, T.D.: Photosynthesis and transpiration of Heberlea rhodopensis Friv. in dependence on water deficit.-Photosynthetica 23: 368-371, 1989.
- Kitajima, K., Mulkey, S.S., Wright, S.J.: Decline of photosynthetic capacity with leaf age in relation to leaf longevities for five tropical canopy tree species.-Amer. J. Bot. 84: 702-708, 1997.
- Manuela, M.D., Dulce, C., Isabel, B., Maria, J.C.: Leaf age effects on photosynthetic activity and sugar accumulation in droughted and rewatered Lupinus albus plants.-Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 25: 299-306, 1998.
- Pugnaire, F.I., Haase, P.: Comparative physiology and growth of two perennial tussock grass species in a semi-arid environment.-Ann. Bot. 77: 81-86, 1996.
- Ripley, E.A., Wang, R.Z., Zhu, T.C.: The climate of the Songnen plain, northeast China.-Int. J. ecol. environ. Sci. 22: 27-32, 1996, 1996.
- Schwarz, A.G., Redmann, R.E.: Photosynthetic properties of C4 grass (Spartina gracilis Trin.) from northern environment.-Photosynthetica 23: 449-459, 1989.
- Sobrado, M.A.: The relationship between nitrogen and photosynthesis in relation to leaf age in a tropical xerophytic tree.-Photosynthetica 26: 445-448, 1992.
- Valladares, F., Allen, M.T., Pearcy, R.W.: Photosynthetic responses to dynamic light under field conditions in six tropical rain forest shrubs occurring along a light gradient.-Oecologia 111: 505-514, 1997.
- Wang, D.L., Wang, Z.W., Zhang, X.J.: The comparison of photosynthetic physiological characteristics between the two divergent Aneurolepidium chinense types.-Acta ecol. sin. 19: 837-843, 1999.
- Wang, R.Z., Gao, Q.: Photosynthesis, transpiration, and water use efficiency in two divergent Leymus chinensis populations from Northeast China.-Photosynthetica 39: 123-126, 2001.
- Wang, R.Z., Gao, Q., Li, J.D.: The comparison study on water ecology of two Puccinellia communities in Songnen grassland.-Acta ecol. sin. 18: 107-112, 1998.
- Wang, R.Z., Ripley, E.A., Zu, Y.G., Nie, S.Q.: Demography of reproductive and biomass allocation of grassland and dune Leymus chinensis on the Songnen plain, northeastern China.-J. Arid Environ. 49: 289-299, 2001.
- Wang, R.Z., Yuan, Y.Q.: Photosynthesis, transpiration, and water use efficiency in two Puccinellia species on the Songnen grassland, northeastern China.-Photosynthetica 39: 283-287, 2001.
- Yan, X.F., Sun, G.R., Xiao, X.: A comparative study on photosynthetic abilities of Puccinellia tenuiflora of different growth years.-Acta phytoecol. sin. 22: 231-236, 1998.
- Photosynthesis, Transpiration, and Water Use Efficiency of Vegetative and Reproductive Shoots of Grassland Species from North-Eastern China
Volume 39, Issue 4 , pp 569-573
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- physiological differences
- plant water relations
- Industry Sectors