Gibberellin synthesis inhibitors affect electron transport in plant mitochondria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
NADH oxidation and cytochrome c reduction rates in the electrontransport chain were determined for mitochondria isolated from leaves of matureEuropean black alder (Alnus glutinosa L.) and exposed to arange of concentrations of the growth retardants flurprimidol andpaclobutrazol.NADH oxidation and cytochrome c reduction were enhanced by low concentrationsofboth compounds whereas higher concentrations reduced electron transport. Thisisthe first report of gibberellin synthesis inhibitors affecting electrontransport in plant mitochondria and provides evidence for another potentialmodeof action of this type of growth retardant.
- Arnold M.A. and Davis W.E. 1994. Delaying budbreak of bare-root Chinese chestnut (Castanea mollissima L) seedlings with foliar applications of paclobutrazol. Plant Growth Regulator Society America Quarterly. 22: 135–142.
- Barr R., Chaney W.R. and Crane F.L. 1996. Flurprimidol and paclobutrazol affect electron transport in mitochondria. In: Davis T.D. (ed.), Proceedings of 23rd Plant Growth Regulation Society of America Annual Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, July 14-18, 1996., pp. 159–164.
- Blanco A. 1987. Fruit thinning of peach trees (Prunus persica [L.] batsch.): The effect of paclobutrazol on fruit drop and shoot growth. Journal Horticultural Science. 62: 147–155.
- Blanco A. 1988. Control of shoot growth of peach and nectarine trees with paclobutrazol. Journal Horticultural Science. 63: 201–207.
- Burch P.L., Wells R.H. and Kline W. 1996. Red maple and silver maple growth evaluated 10 years after application of paclobutrazol tree growth regulator. Journal Arboriculture. 22: 61–66.
- Burden R.S., Carter G.A., Clark T., Cooke D.T., Crocker S.J., Deas A.H.B. et al. 1987. Comparative activity of the enantiomers of triadimenol and paclobutrazol as inhibitors of fungal growth and plant sterol and gibberellin biosynthesis. Pesticide Science. 21: 253–267.
- Burden R.S., Clark T. and Holloway P.J. 1987. Effect of sterol biosynthesis-inhibiting fungicides and plant growth regulators on the sterol composition of barley plants. Pesticide Biochemical Physiology. 27: 289–300.
- Caughey W.S., Dong A., Sampath V., Yoshikawa S. and Zhao X.Y. 1993. Probing heart cytochrome c oxidase structure and function by infrared spectroscopy. Journal Bioenergetics Biomembranes. 25: 81–91.
- Cowan A.K. and Railton I.D. 1987. Cytokinins and ancymidol inhibit abscisic acid biosynthesis in Persea gratissima. Journal Plant Physiology. 130: 273.
- Davis T.D. and Curry E.A. 1991. Chemical regulation of vegetative growth. Critical Review Plant Science. 10: 151–188.
- Estabrooks E.N. 1993. Paclobutrazol sprays reduce vegetative growth and increase fruit production in young McIntosh apple trees. Canadian Journal Plant Science. 73: 1127–1135.
- Grossmann K. 1992. Plant growth retardants: their mode of action and benefit for physiological research. In: Karssen C.M., Loon van L.C. and Vreugdenhil D. (eds), Progress in Plant Growth Regulation. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp. 788–797.
- Hamasur B., Birgersson U., Eriksson A. and Glaser E. 1990. Largescale purification procedure of spinach leaf mitochondria-isolation and immunological studies of the F1-ATPase. Physiologia Plantarum. 78: 367–373.
- Köller W. 1987. Isomers of sterol synthesis inhibitors: Fungicidal effects and plant growth regulator activities. Pesticide Science. 18: 129–147.
- Lewis D.F.V. 1996. Cytochromes P450: Structure, Function and Mechanism. Taylor & Francis, Inc., Bristor, PA, 348 p.
- Lürssen K. 1988. Triazole plant growth regulators: Effects and mode of action. In: Berg D. and Plempel M. (eds), Sterol Biosynthesis Inhibitors. Ellis Horwood Ltd., Chichester, England, pp. 305–320.
- Musser S.M., Stowell M.H.B. and Chan S.I. 1995. Cytochrome c oxidase: chemistry of a molecular machine. Advances Enzymology RAMB. 71: 79–208.
- Premachandra G.S., Chaney W.R. and Holt H.A. 1997. Rate and pattern of flurprimidol movement in mature trees. In: Proceedings Ninth Annual Conference Western Plant Growth Regulator Society, Santa Barbara, California, January 22-23, 1997., pp. 10–18.
- Premachandra G.S., Nagasaka C., Chaney W.R. and Holt H.A. 1996. Response of cells, callus, seeds and plants to a range of flurprimidol concentrations varies in zinnia, sunflower, green pepper, and tobacco. Plant Growth Regulation Society American Quarterly. 24: 140–151.
- Rademacher W. 1991. Inhibitors of gibberellin biosynthesis: Applications in agriculture and horticulture. In: Takahashi N., Phinney B.O. and MacMillian J. (eds), Gibberellins. Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 296–310.
- Rademacher W. 1997. Bioregulation of crop plants with inhibitors of gibberellin biosynthesis. In: Latimer J.G. (ed.), Proceedings Twenty-fourth Plant Growth Regulation Society America Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, August 8-12, 1997., pp. 27–31.
- Shive J.D. and Sisler H.D. 1976. Effects of ancymidol (a growth retardant) and triarimol (a fungicide) on the growth, sterols, and gibberellins of Phaseolus vulgaris L. Plant Physiology. 57: 640–644.
- Sperry C.E. and Chaney W.R. 1999. Tree growth regulator effect on phototropism-its implication for utility forestry. Journal Arboriculture. 25: 43–46.
- Stryer L. 1995. Biochemistry. 4th edn. Freeman WH and Company, New York.
- Sugavanam B. 1984. Diastereoisomers and enantiomers of paclobutrazol: their preparation and biological activity. Pesticide Science. 15: 296–302.
- Tromp J. 1987. Growth and flower-bud formation in apple as affected by paclobutrazol, daminozide and tree orientation in combination with various gibberellins. Journal Horticultural Science. 62: 433–440.
- van den Driessche R. 1990. Paclobutrazol and triadimefon effects on conifer seedling growth and water relations. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 20: 722–729.
- van den Driessche R. 1996. Drought resistance and water use ef-ficiency of conifer seedlings treated with paclobutrazol. New Forests. 11: 65–83.
- Gibberellin synthesis inhibitors affect electron transport in plant mitochondria
Plant Growth Regulation
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 257-262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Alnus glutinosa
- Cytochrome c reduction
- Electron transport
- Growth retardant
- NADH oxidation
- Industry Sectors