Distribution of Chlorinated Organic Pollutants in Harbor Sediments of Livorno (Italy): A Multivariate Approach to Evaluate Dredging Sediments
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dredging is a very important procedure for harbor management. InItaly the guidelines for the offshore dumping of dredged materials are issued by the Ministry of Environment. Theydescribed a few steps of dredging activities, such as thesampling strategy, but do not deal with limits or guide-valuesfor the chemical, physical and biological composition of theresulting sediments. The quality of dredged materials is mainlydependent on the presence of inorganic and organic pollutants.In particular, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organo-chlorinated pesticides are seen as a high priority inmarine environment by international organizations because oftheir persistence, toxicity and bioaccumulation capacity.In this article the presence of some PCBs and organo-chlorinatedpesticides in sediment samples collected from the harbor ofLivorno (Northern Tyrrhenian Sea) was investigated. Theconcentration of HCHs, Aldrin, Chlordanes, DDEs, DDTs, and PCBsin 12 representative sites ranged between <1 μg kg−1and 95, 19, 32, 35, 107, and 111 μg kg−1, respectively.The application of univariate and multivariate statisticaltechniques, such as linear regression analysis and principalcomponent analysis, to the experimental data showed a differentdistribution of PCBs in the two sediment layers. On thecontrary, the vertical distribution of the other investigatedpollutants was more homogeneous and affected by randomvariability. The multivariate approach was an important tool to establish more rational criteria for the management of dredged materials.
- Apitz, S. E.: 1997, ‘Streamlining contaminated sediment management: The use of sediment treatability profiles during site assessment. Preliminary results’, International conference on contaminated sediments, 7–11 September 1997, Rotterdam, Reprints, Vol. II.
- Ball, D. F. (1964) Loss on ignition as an estimate of organic matter and organic carbon in noncalcareous soils. J. Soil Sci. 15: pp. 84-92
- Baudo, R., Beltrami, M. and Rossi, D.: 1996, ‘In situ chemical and toxicological testing’, 2nd international symposium on sediment quality assessment, 19–21 September 1996, Verbania Pallanza, Italy.
- Cannarsa, S., Bruner, T., Mangani, F. and Crescentini, G.: 1989, ‘Microinquinanti organici e loro distribuzione nell'areale marino di Vado Ligure’, ENEA, Studi ambientali nell'area costiera di Vado Ligure, p. 422.
- Chapman, P. M. (1990) The sediment quality triad approach to determining pollution-induced degradation. Sci. Tot. Environ. 97: pp. 8-815
- Cicero, A. M., Gabellini, M., Morlino, R., Veschetti, E. (1998) Livelli di contaminanti organoalogenati in sedimenti del porto di Piombino da sottoporre ad escavo: aspetti di gestione embientale. Biologia Marina Mediterranea 5: pp. 780-784
- De Simone, R. and Massimino, U.: 1986, ‘Idrocarburi policiclici aromatici ed organoclorurati nei sedimenti superficiali della piattaforma pugliese’, ENEA, Indagine ambientale del sistema marino costiero della regione Puglia, p. 277.
- Di Muccio, A., Santilio, A., Dommarco, R., Rizzica, M., Gambetti, L., Ausili, A., Vergori, F. (1990) Behaviour of 23 persistent organo-chlorinated compounds during sulphuric acid clean-up on a solid-matrix column. J. Chromato. 513: pp. 333-337
- Domine, D., Devillers, J., Garrigues, P., Budzinsky, H., Chastrette, M., Karcher, W. (1994) Chemometrical evaluation of the PAH contamination in the sediments of the Gulf of Lion (France). Sci. Tot. Environ. 155: pp. 9
- EPA: 1992, ‘Sediment classification methods compendium’, EPA 823-R–92–006, September, 1992.
- Ettre, L. S., Jones, E., Todd, B. S. (1984) Quantitative analysis with headspace gas chromatography using multiple headspace extraction. Chromato. Newsletter 12: pp. 1
- Frascari, F., Frigani, M., Guerzoni, S., Ravaioli, M. (1988) Sediment and pollution in the Northern Adriatic sea. Ann. New York Acad. Sci. 534: pp. 30
- Gaskin, E. J., Dafoe, T., Brooksbank, P. (1990) Estimation of analytical values from sub-detection limit measurements for water quality parameters. Analyst 115: pp. 507
- Hernández, C. V., Rutledge, (1994) Multivariate statistical analysis of gas chromatograms to differentiate cocoa masses by geographical origin and roasting conditions. Analyst 119: pp. 1171-1176
- Jolliffe, I. T. (1986) Principal Component Analysis. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Klamer, J. C., Hegeman, W. J. M., Smedes, F. (1990) Comparison of grain size correction procedures for organic micropollutants and heavy metals in marine sediments. Hydrobio. 208: pp. 213-220
- Kleimbaum, D. G., Kupper, L. L. (1978) Applied Regression Analysis and Other Multivariate Methods. Duxbury Press, North Scituate, Massachusetts (U.S.)
- Legislative Decree: 1996, Legislative decree issued by the Italian Environment Ministry, 24/1/1996. Gazetta Ufficiale published on 7/2/1996.
- Liebich, V., Ehrlich, G, Stahlberg, U., Kluge, W. (1989) Characterization of the chemical homogeneity of solid state standard material by chemometric methods. Fresenius J. Anal. Chem. 335: pp. 945
- Mangani, F., Crescentini, G., Sisti, E., Bruner, F. (1991) PAHs, PCB tot and Chlorinated Pesticides in Mediterranean Coastal Sediments. Int. J. Anal. Chem. 45: pp. 89
- Meglen, R. R. (1992) Examining large database: A chemometric approach using principal component analysis. Mar. Chem. 39: pp. 217-237
- Pavoni, B., Sfriso, A., Marcomini, A. (1987) Concentration and flux profiles of PCB tot, DDT tot, and PAHs in a dated sediment core from the lagoon of Venice. Mar. Chem. 21: pp. 25
- Pellegrini, D., Ausili, A., Gabellini, M., Morlino, R. and Mellara, F.: 1996, ‘Metalli pesanti e idrocarburi policiclici aromatici nei sedimenti del porto di Livorno da sottoporre ad escavo’, in G. Albertelli, A. De Maio and M. Piccazzo (eds.), Atti dell'11 Congresso A.I.O.L. Genova: A.I.O.L., p. 757.
- Porter, P. S., Ward, R. C., Bell, H. F. (1988) The detection limit. Environ. Sci. and Technol. 22: pp. 856
- Power, E. A. and Chapman, P. M.: 1992, ‘Assessing Sediment Quality’, in G. Allen Burton (ed.), Sediment Toxicity Assessment, Lewis Publishers, Inc., 1, pp. 1–18.
- Raccanelli, S., Pavoni, B., Marcomini, A. and Orio, A.: ‘Polychlorinated Biphenyl pollution caused by resuspension of surface sediments in the Lagoon of Venice’, Sci. Tot. Environ. 79, 119.
- Romano, E., Gabellini, M., Pellegrine, D., De Ranieri, S. and Ciuffa, G.: 1996, ‘A Survey of Different Italian Coastal Sediments for Environmental Management’, Proceedings of 'sixth SETAC-Europe Annual Meeting', 19–22 May 1996, Taormina, Sicily (Italy), p. 222.
- UNEP, FAO, WHO, IAEA: 1990, ‘Assessment of the state of pollution of the Mediterranean Sea by organo-halogen compounds’, MAP Technical Reports Series, no. 39, Athens.
- UNEP: 1996, ‘Report meeting on the preparation of guidelines for the management of dredged material’, UNEP (OCA)/MED WG. 114/4 11 June 1996.
- Distribution of Chlorinated Organic Pollutants in Harbor Sediments of Livorno (Italy): A Multivariate Approach to Evaluate Dredging Sediments
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 71, Issue 3 , pp 297-316
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- harbor sediments
- multivariate analysis
- organo-chlorinated pesticides
- Industry Sectors