Purification of polysaccharides from a biofilm matrix by selective precipitation of proteins
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The objective was to obtain the polysaccharide fraction present in the extracted polymeric matrix of a biofilm by differential precipitation of the protein content. This was tried by pH adjustment and by addition of trichloroacetic acid (TCA). The best yield of protein precipitation was with 20% (w/v) TCA, with more than 97% of the protein removed and without affecting the amount of polysaccharides in solution.
- Beri RG, Rollings JE (1995) A technique for the rapid removal of proteins from cell extracts containing polysaccharides. Biotechnol. Tech. 9: 783-786.
- Doco T, Carcano D, Ramos P, Loones A, Fournet B (1991) Rapid isolation and estimation of polysaccharide from fermented skim milk with Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus by coupled anion exchange and gel-permeation high-performance liquid chromatography. J. Dairy Res. 5: 147-150.
- Dubois, M, Gilles, KA, Hamilton, JK, Rebers PA, Smith F (1956). Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal. Chem. 28: 350-356.
- Purification of polysaccharides from a biofilm matrix by selective precipitation of proteins
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 391-393
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- differential precipitation
- Industry Sectors