Photosynthetic and population growth response of the test alga Selenastrum capricornutum Printz to zinc, cadmium and suspended sediment elutriates
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Short-term 14C-fixation (4 h) Selenastrum capricornutum algal toxicity tests were conducted with Cd (n=8), Zn (n=9) and suspended sediment aqueous elutriates (n=28) and the results were compared to those obtained in a 48 h population growth test. In order to provide more realistic experimental conditions, toxicity tests were carried out in prefiltered nutrient-spiked Lake Geneva water. The population growth inhibition test was significantly more sensitive than the14 C-fixation test for Cd (median EC50-4h and EC50-48h values of 600 and 118 µg L-1, respectively) whereas no significant difference was measured for Zn toxicity (median EC50-4h and EC50-48h values of 97 and 96 µg L-1, respectively). With suspended sediment aqueous elutriates, the relative sensitivity of the two different end points is sample dependent, with ratios of the EC25 for the14 C-fixation: population growth test ranging from <0.26 to >53.3. Elutriate toxicity shows no apparent relationship between the acute and chronic test, indicating that population growth inhibition cannot be derived directly or predicted from14 C-fixation. Both tests with their specific advantages and limitations provide valuable complementary information to measure the impact of single toxicants or complex mixtures on aquatic plants.
- Delistraty D (1986) Growth and photosynthetic response of a freshwater alga, Selenastrum capricornutum, to an oil shale by-product water. Bull. envir. Contam. Toxicol. 36: 114–121. CrossRef
- Dijkman NA, Van Vlaardingen PLA, Admiraal WA (1997) Biological variation in sensitivity to N-heterocyclic PAHs; Effects of acridine on seven species of micro-algae. Envir. Pollut. 95: 121–126. CrossRef
- Garric J, Vindimian E, Ferard JF (1993) Ecotoxicology and waste-waters: Some practical applications. Sci. Total Envir., Supplement (part 2): 1085–1103.
- Graney RL, Giesy JP, Clark JR (1995) Field studies. In Rand GM (ed.), Fundamentals of Aquatic Toxicology: Effects, Environment Fate, and Risk Assessment, 2nd Edition. Taylor & Francis, Washington D.C., USA, 257–305.
- Hall NE, Fairchild JF, La Point TW, Heine PR, Ruessler DS, Ingersoll CG (1996) Problems and recommendations in using algal toxicity testing to evaluate contaminated sediments. J. Great Lakes Res. 22: 545–556. CrossRef
- ISO (1989) Water Quality: Freshwater algal growth inhibition test with Scenedesmus subspicatus and Selenastrum capricornutum. ISO 8692, International organization for standardization.
- Lewis MA (1995) Algae and vascular plant tests. In Rand GM (ed.), Fundamentals of Aquatic Toxicology: Effects, Environment Fate, and Risk Assessment, 2nd Edition. Taylor & Francis, Washington D.C., USA, 135–169.
- Nyholm N, Damgaard BM (1990) A comparison of the algal growth inhibition toxicity test method with the short-term 14C-assimilation test. Chemosphere 21: 671–679. CrossRef
- Ongley ED, Thomas RL (1989) Dewatering suspended solids by continuous flow centrifugation: Practical considerations. Hydrological processes 3: 255–260.
- Pardos M, Benninghoff C, Thomas RL, Dumas M (1994) Caractérisation écotoxicologique des affluents à leur embouchure. Rapp. Comm. Int. Prot. Eaux Léman contre pollut., Campagne 1993, Lausanne, Switzerland, 171–189.
- Pardos M, Benninghoff C, Thomas RL, Dumas M (1996) Caractérisation écotoxicologique des affluents du Léman à leur embouchure et du bassin versant du Rhône aval: complément d'étude. Rapp. Comm. Int. Prot. Eaux Léman contre pollut., Campagne 1995, Lausanne, Switzerland, 219–237.
- Plumb RH, Jr, Lee GF (1979) A comparison of C-14 incubation technique. Wat. Air Soil Pollut. 11: 289–299. CrossRef
- Radetski C, Ferard JF, Blaise C (1994) A semistatic microplate-based phytotoxicity test. Envir. Toxicol. Chem. 14: 299–302.
- Ross P, Jarry V, Sloterdijk H (1988) A rapid bioassay using the green alga Selenastrum capricornutum to screen for toxicity in St. Lawrence River sediment elutriates. In Cairns J, Jr, Pratt JR (eds), Functional Testing of Aquatic Biota for Estimating Hazards of Chemicals. ASTM STP 988. Philadelphia, American Society for Testing and Materials, 68–73.
- Santiago S, Thomas RL, Larbaigt G, Rossel D, Echeverria MA, Tarradellas J, Loizeau JL, McCarthy L, Mayfield CI, Corvi C (1993) Comparative ecotoxicity of suspended sediment in the lower Rhone river using algal fractionation, Microtox® and Daphnia magna bioassays. Hydrobiologia 25: 231–244. CrossRef
- Santiago S, Thomas RL, Loizeau JL, Favarger PY, Vernet JP (1990) Further discussion on the intercomparison of the trace metal concentrations and particle size of fluvial sediment recovered from two centrifuge systems. Hydrological processes 4: 283–287.
- Snell TW, Mitchell JL, Burbank SE (1996) Rapid toxicity assessment with microalgae using in vivo esterase inhibition. In Ostrander GK (ed.), Techniques in Aquatic Toxicology. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, 13–22.
- Stumm W, Morgan JJ (1996) Aquatic Chemistry: Chemical Equilibria and Rates in Natural Waters, 3rd Edition. John Wiley & Sons. Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- U.S. EPA (1994) Short-term methods for estimating the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving water to freshwater organisms. Third Edition. EPA/600/4-91/002. Environmental monitoring systems laboratory, office of research and development, U.S. environmental protection agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- U.S. EPA (1989) Algal (Selenastrum capricornutum) growth test. Short-term methods for estimating the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater organisms. Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Van der Heever JA, Grobbelaar JU (1996) Evaluation of a short-incubation-time small-volume radiocarbon-uptake algal toxicity test. J. appl. Phycol. 8: 65–71. CrossRef
- Versteeg DJ (1990) Comparison of short-and long-term toxicity test results for the green alga, Selenastrum capricornutum. In Wang W, Gorsuch JW, Lower WR (eds), Plants for Toxicity Assessment. ASTM STP 1091. Philadelphia, American Society for Testing and Materials, 40–48.
- Wong SL, Wainwright JF, Pimenta J (1995) Quantification of total and metal toxicity in wastewater using algal bioassays. Aquat. Toxicol. 31: 57–75. CrossRef
- Photosynthetic and population growth response of the test alga Selenastrum capricornutum Printz to zinc, cadmium and suspended sediment elutriates
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 145-151
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- population growth
- Selenastrum capricornutum
- suspended sediment elutriate
- Industry Sectors