The 1996 Sulawesi Tsunami
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
On 1 January, 1996 at 16:05 p.m. local time, an earthquake of magnitude M = 7.8 struck the central part of Sulawesi Island (Indonesia). It was accompanied by tsunami waves 2–4 m high. Nine people were killed and 63 were injured. A tsunami survey was conducted by Indonesian and Russian specialists. The measured tsunami runup heights and eyewitness accounts are reported and discussed. Historical data on the Sulawesi Island tsunamis are analysed and tsunami risk prediction in the central part of Sulawesi Island carried out for the first time.
- Foley, G.: 1994, The tsunami event along the northwest Australian coast on 3 June 1994, National Tsunami Workshop, Brisbane, pp. 25–31.
- Iida, K.: 1963, A relation of earthquake energy to tsunami energy and the estimation of the vertical displacement in a tsunami source, J. Earth Sci. Nagoya Univ. 11, 49–67.
- Murty, T. S.: 1977, Seismic Sea Waves-Tsunami, Bull. Fish. Res. Board Canada, No. 198.
- Pelinovsky, E. N.: 1982, Nonlinear Dynamics of Tsunami Waves, Applied Physics Institute Press; Gorky.
- Pelinovsky, E.: 1996, Tsunami of 1 January 1996 in Indonesia, NDR96 Conference on Natural Disaster Reduction (29 September–2 October 1996, Gold Coast, Australia), Australian Institute of Engineers, pp. 307–311.
- Prasetya, G. S. and Jumadi, R. H.: 1995, Report on survey of coastal land subsidence caused by East Timor earthquake 14 May, 1995, 4BPPT, Jakarta (unpublished).
- Soloviev, S. L. 1972, Recurrence of earthquakes and tsunamis in the Pacific Ocean, In Tsunami Waves (Proc. SakhKNII), Sakhalin, pp. 7–47.
- Soloviev, S. L. and Go, Ch. N.: 1984, Catalogue of Tsunamis on the Western Shore of the Pacific Ocean, Canada Institute for Sci. and Tech. Information, Ottawa.
- Soloviev, S. L. Go, Ch. N., and Kim, Kh. S.: 1992, Catalog of Tsunamis in the Pacific 1969–1982, Soviet Geophysical Committee, Moscow.
- Yeh, H., Imamura, F., Synolakis, C., Tsiji, Y., Liu, P., and Shi, S.: 1993, The Flores Island tsunamis, EOS, Trans. 74, 369, 371–373.
- The 1996 Sulawesi Tsunami
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 29-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- field survey
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Applied Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 46 Uljanov St., Nizhny Novgorod, 603600, Russia
- 2. Navy Hydro-Oceanographic Service, Jakarta, Indonesia
- 3. Tsunami Research Center, Coastal Engineering Laboratory, Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology, Jakarta, Indonesia