Measuring Sexual Relationship Power in HIV/STD Research
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article introduces a theoretically based and validated measure of relationship power dynamics: the Sexual Relationship Power Scale (SRPS). Focus groups were conducted to generate items for Spanish- and English-language scales. The SRPS was administered to a census of women (N = 388) at a community health clinic. All respondents had a primary male partner; they were mostly Latina (89%), with mean age 27 years. The 23-item SRPS possesses good internal reliability (coefficient alpha = .84 for English version, .88 for Spanish version) and predictive and construct validity. Factor analyses support two subscales: Relationship Control and Decision-Making Dominance. As hypothesized, the SRPS was inversely associated with physical violence and directly associated with education and consistent condom use (p < .05).
- Amaro, H. (1995). Love, sex, and power: Considering women's realities in HIV prevention. American Psychologist, 50, 437–447.
- Amaro, H., & Gornemann, I. (1992). HIV/AIDS related knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors among Hispanics: Report of findings and recommendations. Boston: Boston University School of Public Health and Northeast Hispanic Consortium.
- Blumstein, P., & Schwartz, P. (1983). American couples: Money, work, sex. New York: William Morrow.
- Campbell, C. A. (1995). Male gender roles and sexuality: Implications for women's AIDS risk and prevention. Social Science and Medicine, 41, 197–210.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1998a). Guidelines for health education and risk reduction activities [http://aepo-xdv www.epo.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/p0000389/ body002.htm; last updated 12/28/98; visited 1/18/99].
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1998b). The HIV/AIDS epidemic in the United States, 1997–8 (fact sheet) [http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/hiv—aids/pubs/facts/hivrepfs.htm, last updated December 28, 1998, visited on February 22, 1999].
- Connell, R. (1987). Gender and power. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Cronbach, L., & Meehl, P. (1955). Construct validity in psychological tests. Psychological Bulletin, 52, 281–302.
- De Bruyn, M. (1992). Women and AIDS in developing countries. Social Science and Medicine, 34, 249–262.
- DeVellis, R. (1991). Scale development: Theory and application. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- De Vincenzi, I. (1994). A longitudinal study of human immunodeficiency virus transmission by heterosexual partners. New England Journal of Medicine, 331, 341–347.
- Dixon-Mueller, R. (1993). The sexuality connection in reproductive health. Studies in Family Planning, 24, 269–282.
- Doak, C., Doak, L., & Root, J. (1995). Teaching patients with low literacy skills. New York: Lippincott.
- Ehrhardt, A., & Wasserheit, J. (1991). Age, gender, and sexual risk behaviors for sexually transmitted diseases in the United States. In J. Wasserheit, S. Aral, K. Holmes, & P. Hitchcock (Eds.), Research issues in human behavior and sexually transmitted diseases in the AIDS era (pp. 97–121). Washington, DC: American Society for Microbiology.
- Emerson, R. (1972). Exchange theory, Part II: Exchange relations and networks. In J. Berger, M. Zelditch Jr., & B. Anderson (Eds.), Sociological theories in progress (Vol. 2, pp. 58–87). Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Emerson, R. M. (1981). Social exchange theory. In M. Rosenberg & R. H. Turner (Eds.), Social psychology: Sociological perspectives (pp. 30–65). New York: Basic Books.
- England, P. (1997, April). Conceptualizing women's empowerment. Paper presented at the Female Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo, Lund, Sweden.
- Felmlee, D. H. (1994). Who's on top? Power in romantic relationships. Sex Roles, 31, 275–295.
- Fullilove, M., Fullilove, R., Haynes, K., & Gross, S. (1990). Black women and AIDS prevention: A view towards understanding the gender rules. Journal of Sex Research, 27, 46–64.
- Gage, A. J. (1997, April). Female empowerment and adolescent demographic behavior. Paper presented at the Female Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo, Lund, Sweden.
- Gómez, C., & Marín, B. (1996). Gender, culture and power: Barriers to HIV prevention strategies for women. Journal of Sex Research, 33, 355–362.
- Heise, L. L., & Elias, C. (1995). Transforming AIDS prevention to meet women's needs: A focus on developing countries. Social Science and Medicine, 40, 931–943.
- Kritz, M. M., Makinwa, P., & Gurak, D. T. (1997, April). Wife's empowerment and fertility in Nigeria: The role of context. Paper presented at the Female Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo, Lund, Sweden.
- Mann, J., Tarantola, D., & Netter, T. (Eds.). (1992). AIDS in the world. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Miller, L. C., Burns, D. M., & Rothspan, S. (1995). Negotiating safer sex: The dynamics of African-American relationships. In P. Kalbfleisch, M. J. Cody, et al. (Eds.), Gender, power, and communication in human relationships (pp. 163–188). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Monahan, J. L., Miller, L. C., & Rothspan, S. (1997). Power and intimacy: On the dynamics of risky sex. Health Communication, 9, 303–321.
- Nunnally, J., & Bernstein, I. (1994). Psychometric theory(3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Peplau, L. A. (1979). Power in dating relationships. In J. Freeman (Ed.), Women: A feminist perspective (2nd ed.). Palo Alto, CA: Mayfield.
- Rosenthal, R., & Rosnow, R. (1991). Essentials of behavioral research: Methods and data analysis (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Wingood, G., & DiClemente, R. (1998). Partner influences and gender-related factors associated with noncondom use among young adult African-American women. American Journal of Community Psychology, 26, 29–51.
- Wingood, G. M., Hunter-Gamble, D., & DiClemente, R. J. (1993). A pilot study of sexual communication and negotiation among young African-American women: Implications for HIV prevention. Journal of Black Psychology, 19, 190–203.
- Worth, D. (1989). Sexual decision-making and AIDS:Why condom promotion among vulnerable women is likely to fail. Studies in Family Planning, 20, 297–307.
- Yoder, J. D., & Kahn, A. S. (1992). Toward a feminist understanding of women and power. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 16, 381–388.
- Zierler, S., & Krieger, N. (1989). Reframing women's risk: Social inequalities and HIV infection. Annual Review of Public Health, 18, 401–436.
- Measuring Sexual Relationship Power in HIV/STD Research
Volume 42, Issue 7-8 , pp 637-660
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links