Sexuality and Disability: The Missing Discourse of Pleasure
- Mitchell S. Tepper
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the realm of sexuality and disability there is public discourse on deviance and inappropriate behavior, abuse and victimization, asexuality, gender and orientation with regard to women, and reproductive issues in women and men. However, there seems to be a missing discourse of pleasure. The purpose of this talk is to shed some cultural and historical insight into why this may be so, to argue why sexual pleasure is important to quality of life, to point out a few of the consequences of not including a discourse of pleasure, to share some of my research on sexual pleasure in people with spinal cord injury (SCI), and to make a plea for inclusion of sexual pleasure in the disability studies agenda.
- Fine M: Sexuality, schooling, and adolescent females: the missing discourse of desire. Harvard Educational Review 58(1): 29–53, 1988.
- Waxman BF: It's Time to Politicize Our Sexual Repression, The Ragged Edge: The Disability Experience from the Pages of the first Fifteen Years of The Disability Rag. Edited by Shaw B. Louisville, The Advocado Press, 1991, pp. 82–87.
- Bullard DG, Knight SE: Sexuality and Physical Disability: Personal Perspectives. St. Louis, C. V. Mosby Company, 1981, pp. 318.
- Shakespeare T, Gillespie-Sells K, Davies D: The Sexual Politics of Disability: Untold Desires. London, Cassell, 1996.
- Tepper MS: Providing comprehensive sexual health care in spinal cord injury rehabilitation: Continuing education and training for health care professionals. Huntington, CT, Mitchell Tepper, 1997.
- Comfort A: Sexual Consequences of Disability. Philadelphia George F. Stickley Company, 1978.
- Bullough VL, Bullough B: Sin, Sickness, and Sanity. New York, New American Library, 1977.
- Freud S: Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex. New York, Nervous and Mental Disease Publishing, 1930.
- Kinsey AC, Pomeroy WB, Martin CE: Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders Co., 1948.
- Kinsey AC, Pomeroy WB, Martin CE, Gebhard PH: Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders Company, 1953.
- Masters WH, Johnson EJ: Human Sexual Response. Boston, Little, Brown and Company, 1966.
- Masters WH, Johnson V: Human Sexual Inadequacy. Boston, Little, Brown, 1970.
- Gardetto DC: Engendered sensations social construction of the clitoris and female orgasm, 1650- 1975, Graduate Division. Davis, University of California, 1992, pp. 350.
- Fine M, Asch A: Women with Disabilities: Essays in Psychology, Culture, and Politics. Philadelphia, Temple University Press, 1988, pp. 347.
- Whipple B, Richards E, Tepper M, Komisaruk BR: Sexual response in women with complete spinal cord injury, Woman with Physical Disabilities. Edited by Krotoski DM, Nosek MA, Turk MA. Baltimore, Paul Brookes, 1996, pp. 69–80.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Washington D.C., American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- Kuhn TS: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press, 1970.
- Whipple B, Ogden G: Safe Encounters: How Women Can Say Yes to Pleasure and No to Unsafe Sex. New York, Pocket Books, 1989.
- Ogden G: Women Who Love Sex. New York, Pocket Books, 1994.
- Jacoby S: Great Sex: What's Age Got to do with It? Special Report on the AARP/Modern Maturity survey on sexual attitudes and behaviors, Modern Maturity, 1999, p. 41–45, 91.
- Blank H: Big Big Love: a sourcebook on sex for people of size and those who love them. San Francisco, Greenery Press, 2000.
- Tiger L: The Pursuit of Pleasure. Boston, Little, Brown and Company, 1992.
- Masters WH, Johnson VH: The Pleasure Bond: A New Look at Sexuality and Commitment. Boston, Little, Brown and Company, 1974.
- Whipple B, Komisaruk BR: Elevation of pain threshold by vaginal stimulation in women. Pain 21(4): 357–67, 1985.
- Sexuality and Disability: The Missing Discourse of Pleasure
Sexuality and Disability
Volume 18, Issue 4 , pp 283-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- disability studies
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Sexual Health Network, USA