The effect of time and temperature on flexural creep and fatigue strength of a silica particle filled epoxy resin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Composite materials that use an epoxy resin as a matrix resins have superior mechanical properties over standard structural materials, but these materials exhibit time and temperature behavior when used for long periods and under high temperatures. This time and temperature behavior has not been fully explained. The purpose of this paper is to further describe this time and temperature behavior, increasing the reliability of this class of composite materials. The time and temperature dependence of flexural strength was examined by creep and fatigue testing. Flexural creep tests were carried out at various temperatures below the glass transition temperature. Flexural fatigue tests were carried out at various stress ratios, temperatures below the glass transition temperature and 2 frequencies. The time-temperature superposition principle held for the flexural creep strength of this material. A method to predict flexural creep strength based on the static strength master curve and the cumulative damage law is proposed. When the fatigue frequency was decreased while temperature and stress ratio are held constant the flexural fatigue strength decreases. The time-temperature superposition principle was also found to hold for the flexural fatigue strength with respect to frequency.
- Y. Miyano, M. Kanemitsu, T. Kunio and H. Kuhn, Journal of Composite Materials 20(1986) 520.
- L. E. Nielsen, “Mechanical Properties of Polymers” (Reinhold Publishing Corporation, New York, NY, 1962).
- A. J. Barker and H. Vangerko, Composites 14(2) (1983) 141.
- K. Pannkoke and H.-J. Wagner, Cryogenics 31(1991) 248.
- Y. Sadkin and J. Aboudi, Composite Science and Technology 36(1989) 351.
- M. G. Northolt, Journal of Material Science 16(1981) 2025.
- S. K. Brown, The British Polymer Journal 14(1982) 1.
- M. Miwa, A. Takeno, K. Hara and A. Watanabe, Composites 26(1995) 371.
- A. C. Moloney, H. H. Kausch, T. Kaiser and H. R. Beer, Journal of Material Science 22(1987) 381.
- A. G. Evans, S. Williams and P. W. R. Beaumont, ibid. 20(1985) 3668.
- H. R. Beer and T. Kaiser, Fillers(1986) 16.1–16.4.
- G. Tsagaropoulos and A. Eisenberg, Macromolecules 28(1995) 6067.
- W. Jiang, H. Liang, J. Zhang, D. He and B. Jiang, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 58(3) (1995) 537.
- D. S. Kim, K. Cho, J. K. Kim and C. E. Park, Polymer Engineering and Science 36(6) (1996) 755.
- A. Nishimura, A. Yaguchi and S. Kawai, Zairyou 38(434) (1989) 92, Japanese.
- L. Sinien, Z. Ziaoguang, Q. Zhongneng and Z. Haun, Journal of Materials Science Letters 14(1995) 1458.
- K. Higashibata, T. Miyamoto, K. Hayashi and T. Tanaka, IEEE Japan 114-B(5) (1994) 539, Japanese.
- D. L. Barron, D. H. Kelley and L. T. Blankenship, in Proceedings of 44th Annual Conference (Composite Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc., 1989) p. 14-C-1.
- A. Yaguchi and A. Nishimura, Zairyou 42472) (1993) 40, Japanese.
- S. W. Shang, J. W. Williams and K-J. M. S¨odeholm, Journal of Material Science 30(1995) 4323.
- Y. Miyano, M. K. Mcmurray, J. Enyama and M. Nakada, Journal of Composite Materials 28(13) (1994) 1250.
- M. K. Mcmurray, M. Nakada and Y. Miyano, ibid. 29(14) (1995) 1808.
- Idim., in Proceeding 40th International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition (1995) 1316.
- B. Harris, H. Reiter, T. Adam, R. F. Dickson and G. Fernando, Composites 21(3) (1990) 232.
- R. W. Herzberg and J. A. Manson, Fatigue Environ Temp Eff(1993) 231.
- L. J. Broutman and S. K. Gaggar, in Proceedings 27th Annual Technical Conference (Reinforced Plastics/Composites Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc., 1972).
- M. K. Mcmurray and S. Amagi, in Proceedings of 28th International SAMPE Technical Conference (1996) 699.
- J I S, Japanese Standards Association K 7203–1982 (1982).
- F. Schwarzl and A. J. Staverman, Journal of Applied Physics 23(8) (1952) 838.
- M. L. Williams, R. F. Landel and J. D. Ferry, Journal of the American Chemical Society 77(1955) 3701.
- E. Kreyszis, “Advanced Engineering Mathematics,” 3rd ed. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1972) p. 723.
- Y. Miyano, M. K. Mcmurray and R. Muki, in Proceedings of 1995 ASME Summer Mechanics Conference (AMD-Vol. 204 Numerical Methods in Structural Mechanics 1995) 69.
- The effect of time and temperature on flexural creep and fatigue strength of a silica particle filled epoxy resin
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 34, Issue 23 , pp 5927-5936
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors