The effect of time and temperature on flexural creep and fatigue strength of a silica particle filled epoxy resin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Composite materials that use an epoxy resin as a matrix resins have superior mechanical properties over standard structural materials, but these materials exhibit time and temperature behavior when used for long periods and under high temperatures. This time and temperature behavior has not been fully explained. The purpose of this paper is to further describe this time and temperature behavior, increasing the reliability of this class of composite materials. The time and temperature dependence of flexural strength was examined by creep and fatigue testing. Flexural creep tests were carried out at various temperatures below the glass transition temperature. Flexural fatigue tests were carried out at various stress ratios, temperatures below the glass transition temperature and 2 frequencies. The time-temperature superposition principle held for the flexural creep strength of this material. A method to predict flexural creep strength based on the static strength master curve and the cumulative damage law is proposed. When the fatigue frequency was decreased while temperature and stress ratio are held constant the flexural fatigue strength decreases. The time-temperature superposition principle was also found to hold for the flexural fatigue strength with respect to frequency.
- Miyano, Y., Kanemitsu, M., Kunio, T., Kuhn, H. (1986) Journal of Composite Materials 20: pp. 520
- Nielsen, L. E. (1962) Mechanical Properties of Polymers. Reinhold Publishing Corporation, New York, NY
- Barker, A. J., Vangerko, H. (1983) Composites 14: pp. 141
- Pannkoke, K., Wagner, H.-J. (1991) Cryogenics 31: pp. 248
- Sadkin, Y., Aboudi, J. (1989) Composite Science and Technology 36: pp. 351
- Northolt, M. G. (1981) Journal of Material Science 16: pp. 2025
- Brown, S. K. (1982) The British Polymer Journal 14: pp. 1
- Miwa, M., Takeno, A., Hara, K., Watanabe, A. (1995) Composites 26: pp. 371
- Moloney, A. C., Kausch, H. H., Kaiser, T., Beer, H. R. (1987) Journal of Material Science 22: pp. 381
- Evans, A. G., Williams, S., Beaumont, P. W. R. (1985) Journal of Material Science 20: pp. 3668
- H. R. Beer and T. Kaiser, Fillers(1986) 16.1–16.4.
- Tsagaropoulos, G., Eisenberg, A. (1995) Macromolecules 28: pp. 6067
- Jiang, W., Liang, H., Zhang, J., He, D., Jiang, B. (1995) Journal of Applied Polymer Science 58: pp. 537
- Kim, D. S., Cho, K., Kim, J. K., Park, C. E. (1996) Polymer Engineering and Science 36: pp. 755
- Nishimura, A., Yaguchi, A., Kawai, S. (1989) Zairyou 38: pp. 92
- Sinien, L., Ziaoguang, Z., Zhongneng, Q., Haun, Z. (1995) Journal of Materials Science Letters 14: pp. 1458
- Higashibata, K., Miyamoto, T., Hayashi, K., Tanaka, T. (1994) IEEE Japan 114-B: pp. 539
- D. L. Barron, D. H. Kelley and L. T. Blankenship, in Proceedings of 44th Annual Conference (Composite Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc., 1989) p. 14-C-1.
- Yaguchi, A., Nishimura, A. (1993) Zairyou 42: pp. 40
- Shang, S. W., Williams, J. W., S¨odeholm, K-J. M. (1995) Journal of Material Science 30: pp. 4323
- Miyano, Y., Mcmurray, M. K., Enyama, J., Nakada, M. (1994) Journal of Composite Materials 28: pp. 1250
- Mcmurray, M. K., Nakada, M., Miyano, Y. (1995) Journal of Composite Materials 29: pp. 1808
- Idim., in Proceeding 40th International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition (1995) 1316.
- Harris, B., Reiter, H., Adam, T., Dickson, R. F., Fernando, G. (1990) Composites 21: pp. 232
- R. W. Herzberg and J. A. Manson, Fatigue Environ Temp Eff(1993) 231.
- L. J. Broutman and S. K. Gaggar, in Proceedings 27th Annual Technical Conference (Reinforced Plastics/Composites Institute, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc., 1972).
- M. K. Mcmurray and S. Amagi, in Proceedings of 28th International SAMPE Technical Conference (1996) 699.
- J I S, Japanese Standards Association K 7203–1982 (1982).
- Schwarzl, F., Staverman, A. J. (1952) Journal of Applied Physics 23: pp. 838
- Williams, M. L., Landel, R. F., Ferry, J. D. (1955) Journal of the American Chemical Society 77: pp. 3701
- Kreyszis, E. (1972) Advanced Engineering Mathematics. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York
- Miyano, Y., Mcmurray, M. K., Muki, R. (1995) Proceedings of 1995 ASME Summer Mechanics Conference 204: pp. 69
- The effect of time and temperature on flexural creep and fatigue strength of a silica particle filled epoxy resin
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 34, Issue 23 , pp 5927-5936
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors