On the Rate of Entropy Production for the Boltzmann Equation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We show that there exists a wide class of distribution functions (with moments of any order as close to their equilibrium values as we like) which can provide an abnormally low rate of entropy production. The result is valid for the Boltzmann equation with any cross section σ(|V|, θ) satisfying a mild restriction. The functions are constructed in an explicit form and we discuss some applications of our results.
- L. Arkeryd, L ∞-estimates for the space homogeneous Boltzmann equation, J. Statist. Phys. 31:347–361 (1982).
- A. V. Bobylev, Exact solutions of the Boltzmann equation and the theory of relaxation of Maxwell gas, USSR Theor. Math. Phys. 60:280–310 (1984).
- A. V. Bobylev, The theory of the nonlinear spatially uniform Boltzmann equation for Maxwellian molecules, Soviet Scient. Rev. c 7:111–233 (1988).
- E. A. Carlen and M. C. Carvalho, Entropy production estimates for Boltzmann equations with physically realistic collision kernels, J. Statist. Phys. 74:743–782 (1994).
- L. Desvillettes, Some applications of the method of moments for the homogeneous Boltzmann and Kaç equations, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 123:387 (1993).
- B. Wennberg, On moments and uniqueness for solutions to the space homogeneous Boltzmann equation, Transport Theory Stat. Phys. 23(4):533–539 (1994).
- B. Wennberg, Entropy dissipation and moment production for the Boltzmann equation, J. Statist. Phys. 86:1053–1066 (1997).
- C. Cercignani, R. Illner, and M. Pulvirenti, The Mathematical Theory of Dilute Gases (Springer, New York, 1994).
- C. Cercignani, The Boltzmann Equation and Its Applications (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1988)
- C. Cercignani, H-theorem and trend to equilibrium in the kinetic theory of gases, Arch. Mech. 34:231–241 (1982).
- On the Rate of Entropy Production for the Boltzmann Equation
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 94, Issue 3-4 , pp 603-618
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- entropy production
- Boltzmann equation
- kinetic theory
- Industry Sectors