Trace Metals in the Water Columns of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aqaba, Egypt
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Seawater samples were collected from the northern Red Sea and the Gulf of Aqaba at different depths during February 1999 and analyzed for iron, zinc, manganese, nickel, copper, cadmium, cobalt and lead to determine the existing concentration of these metals, their distribution patterns and where contamination has occurred. The concentrations of Fe, Zn, Mn, Ni, Cu, Cd, Co, Pb were scatteredin the ranges: (0.56–4.44; mean 1.67±0.9 μg L-1), (0.13–1.17; mean 0.24±0.12 μg L-1), (0.06–0.21; mean 0.13±0.03 μg L-1), (0.05–0.52; mean 0.16±0.06 μg L-1), (0.07–0.29; mean 0.14±0.06 μg L-1), (0.02–0.78; mean 0.49±0.14 μg L-1), (0.06–0.29; mean 0.15±0.04 μg L-1), and (0.02–0.68; mean 0.31±0.13 μg L-1), respectively. The results revealed a small range of variation and regional irregularities. It also indicated significant higher concentrations for Fe, Cd and Pb compared to other metals. Compared to the northern Red Sea, significant higher concentrations for Ni and Cd are measured at the Gulf of Aqaba. Other metals, i.e. Fe, Zn, Mn, Cu, Co, and Pb are not significantly different in both areas indicating no distinct concentration gradients. Except for Pb, the distribution patterns indicated significantly lower concentrations at surface layer in both regions, then increasing to their maximum values at the sub-surface layers which followed by a decrease in deep water. The study indicated also that the mean concentrations of trace metals examined here are much lower than those reported for the Mediterranean Sea and typical of open ocean water.
- Al-Sayed, H. A., Mahasneh, A. M. and Al-Saad, J.: 1994, 'Variations of trace metal concentrations in seawater and pearl oyster Pinctada radiata from Bahrain (Arabian Gulf)', Mar. Pollut. Bull. 28(6), 370–374.
- Beltagi, A. I.: 1982, 'Seasonal variations of some trace elements content in the Red Sea water at Al-Ghardaqa', Bull. Inst. Oceanogr. Fish ARE 8, 1–11.
- Boniforti, R., Ferraroli, I. R., Frigileri, P., Heltai, D. and Queirazza, G.: 1984, 'Intercomparison of five methods for the determination of trace metals in sea water', Anal. Chim. Acta. 162, 33–46.
- Burton, J. D. and Slatham, P. J.: 1990, 'Trace Metals in Seawater', in R.W. Furness and P. S. Rainbow (eds), Heavy Metals in the Marine Environment, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 6–24.
- Dlaz, C., Galindo, L., Montelongo, F. G., Larrechi, M. and Xavierrius, F.: 1990, 'Metals in coastal waters of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands', Mar. Pollut. Bull. 21(2), 91–95.
- Emara, H. I. and Shriadah, M. A.: 1991, 'Manganese, Iron, Cobalt, Nickel and Zinc in the Eastern Harbour and El-Mex Bay Waters, Alexandria', Proc. Symp. Mar. Chem. In the Arab Region, Suez, April 1991, pp. 99–112.
- Felis, T. and Moos, C.: 2000, 'CTD Profiling', in Meteor-Berichte 00-3 Ostliches Mittelmeer-Nordliches Rotes Meer 1999 Cruise No. 44, 22 January–16 May 1999 (J. Patzold, P. E. et al., 2000), A Scientific Report, pp. 125–126.
- Fukai, R. and HynH-Ngoc, L.: 1976, 'Zinc and cadmium in coastal waters of the N.W. Mediterranean', Mar. Pollut. Bull. 7(1), 9–13.
- Hamza, A. G. and Amierh, T. A.: 1992, 'Determination of Pb, Cd, Cu and Zn ions in Red Sea water along Jeddah coast by differential pulse anodic stripping voltammetry', J. Fac. Sci., UAE Univ. 4(1), 80–88.
- Kroon, B.: 2000, 'Regulation of Photosynthetic Energy Fluxes in the Gulf of Aqaba and the Red Sea During Winter-Spring Time', in Meteor-Berichte 00-3 Ostliches Mittelmeer-Nordliches Rotes Meer 1999 Cruise No. 44, 22 January–16 May 1999 (J. Patzold, P. E. et al., 2000), A Scientific Report, pp. 69–72.
- Leal, M. C. F., Vasconcelos, M. T., Sousa-Pinto, I. and Cabral, J. P. S.: 1997, 'Biomonitoring with Benthic Macroalgae and direct assay of heavy metals in seawater of the Oporto coast (Northwest Portugal)', Mar. Pollut. Bull. 34(12), 1006–1015.
- Saad, M. A. H. and Kandeel, M.M.: 1988, 'Distribution of copper, iron and manganese in the coastal Red Sea Waters in front of Al-Ghardaqa', Proc. Indian Natn. Sci. Acad. 54(4), 642–652.
- Schaulee, B. K. and Patterson, C. C.: 1981, 'Lead concentrations in the northeast Pacific: Evidence for global anthropogenic perturbations', Earth Planet. Scxi. Lett. 54, 97–116.
- Schaule, B. K. and Patterson, C. C.: 1983, 'Perturbations of the Natural Lead Depth Profile in the Sargasso Sea by Industrial Lead', in C. S. Wong, E. Boyle, K. W. Bruland, J. D. Burton and E. D. Goldberg (eds), Trace Metals in Sea Water, Plenum Press, New, pp. 487–503.
- Shriadah, M. A. and Emara, H. I.: 1991, 'The Distribution of Chromium, Copper, Cadmium and Lead in Areas of Multi-polluting Factors of Alexandria', Proc. Symp. Mar. Chem. in the Arab Region, Suez, April 1991, pp. 39–50.
- Shriadah, M. M. A.: 1999, 'Heavy metals in mangrove sediments of the United Arab Emirates shoreline (Arabian Gulf)', Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 116, 523–534.
- Tankere, S. P. C., Morley, N. H. and Burton, J. D.: 1995, 'Spatial and Temporal Variations in Concentrations of Trace Metals in the Regions of the Straits of Sicily and Gibraltatar', in J. M. Martin and H. Barth (eds), Water Pollution Research Reports'EROS 2000', European Commission, Luxembourg, pp. 205–219.
- Tariq, J., Jaffar, M. and Moazzam, M.: 1993, 'Heavy metals concentrations in fish, shrimps, seaweed, sediments, and water from the Arabian Sea', Pakistan. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 26(11), 644–647.
- Voutsinou-Talladour, F., Varnavas, S. P., Nakopoulou, C. and Moriki, A.: 1997, 'Dissolved trace elements in south Aegean seawater', Mar. Pollut. Bull. 34(10), 840–843.
- Yoon, Y. Y., Martin, J. M. and Cotte, M. H.: 1995, 'Dissolved Trace Metals in the Western Mediterranean Sea; Total Concentration and Speciation', in J. M. Martin and H. Barth (eds), Water Pollution Research Reports'EROS 2000', European Commission, Luxembourg, pp. 235–250.
- Trace Metals in the Water Columns of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aqaba, Egypt
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 153, Issue 1-4 , pp 115-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- seawater (Northern Red Sea and Gulf of Aqaba)
- trace metals
- Industry Sectors