Towards a Drought Watch System based on Spatial SPI
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Regional Drought can be assessed through various meaningfulprocedures mainly related to the expected consequences. However, a general knowledge of the occurrence of drought, thearea which is affected, its severity and its duration are ofgreat importance for a series of decisions, which may beappropriate for a variety of activities. From the existingsimple and popular indices used for the estimation of drought,the Standardised Precipitation Index, known as SPI, seems to winuniversal applicability. A method based on the estimation of SPIover a geographical area and its use for characterising drought,is presented in this paper. Applications of the method arepresented using a digital terrain model and a simple computercalculating routine. It is shown that the proposed procedurecan be easily applied and can support a Drought Watch System foran area of mesoscale dimensions.
- Agnew, C. T.: 2000, 'Using the SPI to Identify Drought', Drought Network News (Newsletter of IDIC and NDMC) Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 6–12.
- Beran, M. and Rodier, J. A.: 1985, 'Hydrological Aspects of Drought', Studies and Reports in Hydrology 39, Unesco-WMO, Paris.
- Correia, F. N., Santos, M. A. and Rodrigues, R. R.: 1991, 'Reliability in Regional Drought Studies', in Jacques Ganoulis (ed.), Water Resources Engineering Risk Assessment, NATO ASI Series, Vol. G29, Berlin, pp. 43–62.
- Guttman, N. B., Wallis, J. R. and Hosking, J. R. M.: 1992, 'Spatial comparability of the Palmer Drought Severity Index', Water Resour. Bull. 28(6), 1111–1119.
- Hayes, M. J.: 1999, 'Drought Indices', NDMC – Drought Happens, Drought Indices, http://enso.unl.edu/ndmc/enigma/indices.htm/, updated 12 October 1999.
- Hayes, M. J.: 2000, 'Revisiting the SPI: Clarifying the Process', Drought Network News (Newsletter of IDIC and NDMC), Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 13–14.
- O'Connell, P. E., Beran, M., Gurney, R., Jones, D. and Moore, R.: 1977, 'Methods for Evaluating the U.K. Raingauge Network', Report 40, Institute of Hydrology, Wallingford.
- Rossi, G., Benedini, M., Tsakiris, G. and Giakoumakis, S.: 1992, 'On regional drought estimation and analysis', Water Resour. Manage. 6(4), 249–277.
- Tate, E. L. and Gustard, A.: 2000, 'Drought Definition: A Hydrological Perspective', in J. V. Voght and F. Somma (eds), Drought and Drought Mitigation in Europe, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 23–48.
- Tsakiris, G.: 1994, 'Drought Effects on Vegetation and Soil Degradation in Mediterranean Countries', Final Report of the EPOC-CT90_0028 Project, EEC.
- Tsakiris, G., Cavadias, G., Strangeways, I. and Ritsatakis, Em.: 1997, 'Technico-economic Study of the Restructuring and Modernisation of the Hydrologic Station Network of the Ministry of Environment', Final Report, Ministry of Environment, Greece (in Greek).
- Wilhite, D. A., Hayes, M. J. and Svoboda, M. D.: 2000, 'Drought Monitoring and Assessment: Status and Trends in the United States', in J. V. Voght and F. Somma (eds), Drought and Drought Mitigation in Europe, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 149–160.
- Towards a Drought Watch System based on Spatial SPI
Water Resources Management
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Drought Index
- spatial analysis
- Industry Sectors