Finnish Lake Survey: The Role of Catchment Attributes in Determining Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Organic Carbon Concentrations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study is based on a Finnish lake survey conducted in 1995, a dataset of 874 statistically selected lakes from the national lake register. The dataset was divided into subgroups to evaluate lake water-catchment relationships in different geographical regions and in lakes of different size. In the three southernmost regions, the coefficients of determination in multiple regression equations varied between 0.40 and 0.53 for total nitrogen (TN) and between 0.37 and 0.53 for total phosphorus (TP); the best interpreters were agricultural land and water area in the catchment. In the two northernmost regions, TN concentrations in lake water were best predicted by the proportion of peatlands in the catchment, the catchment slope, and TP concentrations by lake elevation and latitude. Coefficients of determination in multiple regression equations in these northern regions varied between 0.39 and 0.67 for TN and between 0.41 and 0.52 for TP. For all the subsets formed, the best coefficients of determination explaining TN, TP, and total organic carbon (TOC) were obtained for a subset of large lakes (>10 km2), in which 72–83% of the variation was explained. This was probably due to large heterogeneous catchments of these lakes.
- Agricultural Census: 2000, ‘SVT Agriculture, forestry and fishery 2002:51’, Information Centre of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Helsinki, Finland.
- Arheimer, B. and Lidén, R.: 2000, ‘Nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations from agricultural catchments - Influence of spatial and temporal variables’, J. Hydrol. 227, 140-159.
- Cole, J. J. and Caraco, N. F.: 2001, ‘Carbon in the catchments: Connecting terrestrial carbon losses with aquatic metabolism’, Mar. Freshwat. Res. 52, 101-110.
- Correll, D. L., Jordan, T. E. and Weller, D. E.: 2001, ‘Effects of precipitation, air temperature, and land use on organic carbon discharges from Rhode river watersheds’, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 128, 139-159.
- D’Arcy, P. and Carignan, R.: 1997, ‘Influence of catchment topography on water chemistry in southeastern Québec Shield lakes’, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 54, 2215-2227.
- Dillon, P. J. and Molot, L. A.: 1997, ‘Effect of landscape form on export of dissolved organic carbon, iron, and phosphorus from forested stream catchment’, Water Resour. Res. 33, 2591-2600.
- Dillon, P. J., Molot, L. A. and Scheider, W.: 1991, ‘Phosphorus and nitrogen export from forested stream catchments in Central Ontario’, J. Environ. Qual. 20, 857-864.
- Henriksen, A., Skjelvåle, B. L., Lien, L., Traaen, T. S., Mannio, J., Forsius, M., Kämäri, J., Mäkinen, I., Berntell, A., Wiederholm, T., Wilander, A., Moiseenko, T., Lozovik, P., Filatov, N., Niinioja, R., Harriman, R. and Jensen, J. P.: 1996, ‘Regional Lake Surveys in Finland-Norway-Sweden-Northern Kola - Russian Karelia - Scotland - Wales 1995. Coordination and design’, Acid Rain Research Report 40, NIVA, Oslo.
- Herlihy, A., Stoddard, J. and Johnson, C.: 1998, ‘The relationship between stream chemistry and watershed land cover data in the Mid-Atlantic region, U.S.’,Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 105, 377-386.
- Koljonen, T. (ed.): 1992, Geochemical Atlas of Finland, Part 2: Moraine, Geological Survey of Finland, Espoo, Finland.
- Kopáček, J., Stuchlík, E., Straškrabová, V. and Pšenáková, P.: 2000, ‘Factors governing nutrient status of mountain lakes in the Tatra Mountains’, Freshwat. Biol. 43, 369-383.
- Kortelainen, P.: 1993, ‘Content of total organic carbon in Finnish lakes and its relationship to catchment characteristics’, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 50, 1477-1483.
- Kortelainen, P. and Saukkonen, S.: 1998, ‘Leaching of nutrients, organic carbon and iron from Finnish forestry land’, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 105, 239-250.
- Kortelainen, P., Saukkonen, S. and Mattsson, T.: 1997, ‘Leaching of nitrogen from forested catchments in Finland’, Global Biogeochem. Cycles 11, 627-638.
- Lepistö, A., Andersson, L., Arheimer, B. and Sunblad, K.: 1995, ‘Influence of catchment characteristics, forestry activities and deposition on nitrogen export from small forested catchments’, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 84, 81-102.
- Mander, U., Kull, A. and Kuusemets, V.: 2000, ‘Nutrient flows and land use change in a rural catchment: A modelling approach’, Landscape Ecol. 15, 187-199.
- Mannio, J., Räike, A. and Vuorenmaa, J.: 2000, ‘Finnish lake survey 1995: Regional characteristics of lake chemistry’, Verh. Int. Ver. Limnol. 27, 362-367.
- Mattsson, T., Finér, L., Kortelainen, P. and Sallantaus, T.: 2003, ‘Brook water quality and background leachinxg from unmanaged forested catchments in Finland’,Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 147, 275-297.
- McTieran, K., Jarvis, S., Scholefield, D. and Hayes, M.: 2001, ‘Dissolved carbon losses from grazed grasslands under different management regimes’, Water Res. 35, 2565-2569.
- Nieminen, M. and Jarva, M.: 1996, ‘Phosphorus adsorption by peat from drained mires in Southern Finland’, Scand. J. For. Res. 11, 321-326.
- Rapp, G., Allert, J., Liukkonen, B., Ilse, J., Loucks, O. and Glass, G.: 1985, ‘Acid deposition and watershed characteristics in relation to lake chemistry in northeastern Minnesota’, Environ. Int. 11, 425-440.
- Rasmussen, J., Godbout, L. and Scallenberg, M.: 1989, ‘The humic content of lake water and its relationship to watershed and lake morphometry’, Limnol. Oceanogr. 34, 1336-1343.
- Rekolainen, S.: 1989, ‘Phosphorus and nitrogen load from forest and agricultural areas in Finland’, Aqua Fenn. 19, 95-107.
- SAS Institute Inc.: 1989, SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 6, Edition 4. Vol. 2, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina, U.S.A.
- Finnish Lake Survey: The Role of Catchment Attributes in Determining Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Organic Carbon Concentrations
Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus
Volume 4, Issue 2-3 , pp 683-699
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- lake survey
- organic carbon