Effect of Carbon Nanotube Addition on Tribological Behavior of UHMWPE
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) were added to Ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) to improve the tribological properties of UHMWPE. CNTs which have a diameter of about 10–50 nm, while their length is about 3–5 nm were produced by the catalytic decomposition of acetylene gas using a tube furnace. Ball-on-disc-type wear tests were performed to evaluate the tribological performance of UHMWPE composites reinforced with CNTs. The results showed that addition of carbon nanotube up to 0.5 wt% lowered wear loss significantly and increased friction coefficient slightly. Also through the scanning electron microscope (SEM), the surfaces of UHMWPE were observed and analyzed to discuss the tribological behavior of CNT added UHMWPE.
- P.S.M. Barbour, M. Stone and J. Fisher, Biomaterials 20 (1999) 2101.
- A. Wang, Wear 248 (2001) 38.
- A. Wang, R. Lin, V. K. Polineni, A. Essner, C. Stark and J.H. Dumbleton, Tribol. Int. 31 (1998) 661.
- N. Chang, A. Bellare, R. E. Cohen and M. Spector, Wear 241 (2000) 109.
- C. Wang, L.M. Hwang, J. Polymer Science: Part B: Polymer Physics, 34 (1996) 1435.
- T. Bergendal, K. Ekstrand and U. Karlsson, Clinical Oral Implants Res. 6 (1995) 246.
- A. Chanda, A.K. Mukhopadhyay, D. Basu and S. Chatterjee, Ceramics Int. 23 (1997) 437.
- J.-P. Van Loon, G.J. Verkerke, L.G.M. de Bont and R.S.B. Liem, Biomaterials 20 (1999) 1471.
- A. Wang, D.C. Sun, S.-S. Yau, B. Edwards, M. Sokol, V.K. Polineni, C. Stark and J.H. Dumbleton, Wear 203–204 (1997) 230.
- K.-T. Lau and D. Hui, Composites: Part B 33 (2002) 263.
- D. Qian, E.C. Dickey, R. Andrews and T. Rantell, Appl. Phys. Lett. 76 (2000) 2868.
- R. Andrews, D. Jacques, A.M. Rao, T. Rantell, F. Derbyshire and C. Yetal, Appl. Phys. Lett. 75 (1999) 1329.
- D.-S. Lim, J.-W. An and H.-J. Lee, Wear 252 (2002) 512.
- Z.F. Ren, Z.P. Huang, J.W. Xu, J.H. Wang, P. Bush, M.P. Siegal and P.N. Provencio, Science 282 (1998) 1105.
- S.B. Sinnott, R. Andrews, D. Qian, A.M. Rao, Z. Mao, E.C. Dickey and F. Derbyshire, Chem. Phys. Lett. 315 (1999) 25.
- H. Wang, J. Lin, C.H.A. Huan, P. Dong, J. He, S.H. Tang, W.K. Eng and T.L.J. Thong, Appl. Surf. Sci. 181 (2001) 248.
- A.K.M. Fazle Kibria, Y.H. Mo, K.S. Nahm and M.J. Kim, Carbon 40 (2002) 1241.
- L.F. Sun, Z.Q. Liu, X.C. Ma, Z.Y. Zhong, S.B. Tang, Z.T. Xiong, D.S. Tang, W.Y Zhou, X.P. Zou, Y.B. Li, K.L. Tan, S.S. Xie and J.Y. Lin, Chem. Phys. Lett. 340 (2001) 222.
- A.M. Rao, E. Richer, S. Bandow, B. Chase, P.C. Eklund, K.A. Williams, S. Fang, K.R. Subbaswamy, M. Menon, A. Thess, R.E. Smally, G. Dresslhaus and M.S. Dresslhaus, Science 275 (1997) 187.
- L. S. Schadler, S. C. Giannaris and P. M. Ajayan, Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 3842.
- Effect of Carbon Nanotube Addition on Tribological Behavior of UHMWPE
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 305-309
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors