Dynamics of Unsteady-State Catalytic Distillation in a Packed Column with a Varied Length of the Reaction Zone
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Theoretical and experimental data are reported for steady- and unsteady-state distillation accompanied by a reversible catalytic reaction in the liquid phase, specifically, butyl acetate–ethanol transesterification in a packed column. It is demonstrated by a computational experiment that, at any initial composition of the reaction mixture in the reboiler, be it an equimolar mixture for the forward or back reaction or an equimolar four-component mixture, the system arrives at the same steady-state distribution of the component concentrations along the column height. The time it takes for the system to reach the steady state depends on the reaction zone length: it increases with decreasing ratio of the length of the catalytic part of the packed bed to the length of the inert part of the packed bed. The mathematical description of the process is in satisfactory agreement with experimental data.
- Balashov, M.I., Timofeev, V.S., and Pisarenko, Yu.A., Sovmeshchennye protsessy v khimicheskoi tekhnologii (Combined Processes in Chemical Engineering), Moscow: Khimiya, 1986.
- Blagov, S.A., Solokhin, A.V., Klemeshova, S.A., and Timofeev, V.S., Comparative Analysis of Reactor‐Column Systems and Combined Reaction‐Distillation Process in Terms of Energy Consumption, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 1995, vol. 29, no. 1, p. 15.
- Taylor, R. and Krishna, R., Modelling Reactive Distillation, Chem. Eng. Sci., 2000, vol. 55, p. 5183.
- Davis, B. and Jeffreys, G.V., The Continuous Transesterification of Ethyl Alcohol and Butyl Acetate in Sieve Plate Column, Trans. Inst. Chem. Eng., 1973, vol. 51, p.?271.
- Dil'man, V.V., Lotkhov, V.A., Glagoleva, A.A., Kvashnin, S.Ya., and Kulov, N.N., Dynamics of Unsteady-State Distillation Combined with Transesterification in the Liquid Phase, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 2002, vol.?36, no. 3, p. 248.
- Dil'man, V.V., Lotkhov, V.A., Bakunina, T.S., Kvashnin, S.Ya., and Kulov, N.N., Kinetics of Unsteady Evaporation during Liquid-Phase Transesterification, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 2001, vol. 35, no. 4, p. 381.
- Davies, B., Jenkins, J.D., and Jeffreys, G.V., The Continuous Transesterification of Ethyl Alcohol and Butyl Acetate in a Sieve Plate Column: Part II. Batch Reaction Kinetics Studies, Trans. Inst. Chem. Eng., 1973, vol. 51, p. 267.
- Aleksandrov, I.A., Massoperedacha pri rektifikatsii i absorbtsii mnogokomponentnykh smesei (Mass Transfer in Distillation and Absorbtion of Multicomponent Mixtures), Leningrad: Khimiya, 1975.
- Ramm, V.M., Absorbtsiya gazov (Absorption of Gases), Moscow: Khimiya, 1976.
- Stichlmair, J.G. and Fair, J.R., Distillation: Principles and Practices, New York: Wiley-VCH, 1998.
- Emanuel', N.M. and Knorre, D.G., Kurs khimicheskoi kinetiki (A Course of Chemical Kinetics), Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola, 1974.
- Dynamics of Unsteady-State Catalytic Distillation in a Packed Column with a Varied Length of the Reaction Zone
Theoretical Foundations of Chemical Engineering
Volume 37, Issue 6 , pp 557-567
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors