Perceived Quality of Life and Self-Rated Health among First-Year University Students
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study compares health status and qualityof life assessments of first-year universitystudents with those of their same-age workingcounterparts. Subjects and materials for eachgroup were gathered in 1999 from twocross-sectional data sets from the Swedishregion of Östergötland, covering malesand females aged 20–34 years. Subjects'perceived quality of life (QoL) and self-ratedhealth (SRH) were assessed on a 10-point scale(Ladder scale) and a five-point scale,respectively. Gender-based comparison revealedthat, for both males and females, first-yearuniversity students' average perceived QoL waslower than that of their working counterparts(p < 0.0001 in all instances). A higherproportion of students than expected ratedtheir health as ``average'' or as ``low''(p < 0.0001). Perceived QoL was significantlycorrelated with SRH in both groups. Differencesin perceived QoL and SRH exist between studentsand their full-time working peers, and thedeterminants of these differences deservesgreater attention. Knowledge of thedeterminants of SRH and perceived QoL amonguniversity students might then be translatedinto sound and effective public-health practiceand intervention programs.
- Altman, D.G.: 1991, Practical Statistics for Medical Research (Chapman and Hall, London).
- Anderson, P.: 1987 ‘Alcohol consumption of undergraduates at Oxford University’, Alcohol and Alcoholism 19, pp. 77-84.
- Andrews, F.M. and S.B. Withey: 1976, Social Indicators of Well-being: Americans' Perceptions of Life Quality (Plenum press, New York).
- Armitage, P.: 1988, Statistical Methods in Medical Research (Blackwell Scientific Publications, London).
- Ashton, C.H. and F. Kamali: 1995, ‘Personality, lifestyle, alcohol and drug consumption in a sample of British medical students’, Med Educ, pp. 187-192.
- Bowling, A.: 1991, Measuring Health. A Review of Quality of Life Measurements Scales (Open University Press, Philadelphia).
- Disch, W.B., L.L. Harlow, J.F. Campbell and T.R. Dougan: 2000, ‘Student functioning, concerns and socio-personal well-being’, Social Indicators Research 51, pp. 41-73.
- D'Zurilla, T.J. and C.F. Sheedy: 1991, ‘Relation between social problem-solving ability and subsequent level of psychological stress in college students’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 61, pp. 841-846.
- Ekberg, K., H. Noorlind Brage and M. Dastserri: 2000, ‘Östgöten's Health and Environment’: Folkhälsovetenskaplig Centrum, Landstinget I Östergötland Report (No. 001) (in Swedish).
- Ferrans, C.E. and M.J. Powers: 1992, ‘Psychometric Assessments of the Quality of Life Index’, Research in Nursing and Health 15, pp. 29-38.
- George, L. and L. Bearson: 1980, Quality of Life in Older Person (Human Sciences Press, New York).
- Gill, J.S.: 2002, ‘Reported levels of alcohol consumption and binge drinking within the UK undergraduate students population over the last 25 years’, Alcohol &; Alcoholism 37, pp. 109-120.
- Gill, T.M. and A.R. Feinstein: 1994, ‘A critical appraisal of the quality of quality-of-life measurements’, JAMA 272, pp. 619-624.
- Hirsch, J.K. and J.B. Ellis: 1996, ‘Differences in life stress and reason for living among college suicide ideators and non-ideators’, College Student Journal 30, pp. 377-384.
- Kirk, R.E: 1996, ‘Practical Significance: A concept who time has come’, Educational and Psychological Measurement 56(5), pp. 746-759.
- Mechanic, D. and P.D. Cleary: 1980, ‘Factors associated with the maintenance of positive health behavior’, Preventive Medicine 9, pp. 805-814.
- Mechanic, D. and R. Tessler: 1978, ‘Psychological distress and perceived health status’, Journal of Health &; Social Behavior 19, pp. 254-262.
- Mindell, J.: 2001, ‘The health of students’, Journal of Public Health Medicine 23, pp. 165-166.
- Piko, B., K. Baramas and K. Boda, 1997, ‘Frequency of common psychosomatic symptoms and its influence of on self-perceived health in Hungarian student population’, European Journal of Public Health 7, pp. 243-247.
- Piko, B: 2000, ‘Health-related predictors of self-perceived health in a student population: The importance of physical activity’, Journal of Community Health 25, pp. 125-136.
- Pilcher, J.J.: 1998, ‘Affective and daily event predictors of life satisfaction in college students’, Social Indictors Research 43, pp. 291-306.
- Rosenthal, B. and A.C. Schreiner: 2000, ‘Prevalence of psychological symptoms among undergraduate students in an ethnicity diverse urban public college’, Journal of American College Health 49, pp. 12-18.
- Steptoe, A. and J. Wardle: 2001, ‘Health behavior, risk awareness and emotional well-being in students from Eastern Europe and Western Europe’, Social Science and Medicine 53, pp. 1612-1630.
- Stewart-Brown, S.J., J. Evans, J. Patterson, S. Petersen, H. Doll, J. Balding and D. Regis: 2000, ‘The health of students in institutes of higher education: An important and neglected public health problem?’, Journal of Public Health Medicine 22, pp. 492-499.
- Stryhorn, G.: 1989, ‘Expectations versus reality, social support, and the well-being of medical students’, Behavioral Medicine, pp. 133-139.
- Vaez, M. and L. Laflamme: 2002, ‘First-year university students' health status and socio-demographic determinants of their self-rated health’, Work, A Journal of Prevention, Assessment &; Rehabilitation 19, pp. 71-80.
- Vaez, M. and L. Laflamme: 2003, ‘Health behaviors, self-rated health and quality of life at university: A study among Swedish first-year university students’, Journal of American College Health 51, pp. 156-162.
- Verbrugge, L.M. and F.J. Asconi: 1987, ‘Exploring the iceberg: Common symptoms and how people care for them’, Med Care 25, pp. 539-569.
- Walker, S.R. and R.M. Rosser: 1993, Quality of Life: Assessment and Application, 2nd ed. (Kluwer Academic, London).
- Webb, E., C.H. Ashton, P. Kelly and F. Kamali: 1996, ‘Alcohol and drug use in UK university students’, Lancet 348, pp. 922-925.
- Wechsler, H., M. Kuo, H. Lee and G.W. Dowdall: 2000, ‘Environmental correlates of underage alcohol use and related problems of college students’, American Journal of Preventive Medicine 19(1), pp. 24-29.
- Wechsler, H., J.E. Lee, M. Kuo, M. Seibring, T.F. Nelson and H. Lee: 2002, ‘Trends in college binge drinking during a period of increased prevention efforts: Findings from 4 Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Study Surveys: 1993–2001’, Journal of American College Health 50(5), pp. 203-217.
- Wechsler, H., J.F. Lee and N.A. Rigotti: 2001, ‘Cigarette use by college students in smoke-free housing’, American Journal of preventive Medicine 20(3), pp. 202-207.
- Wechsler, H., N.A. Rigotti, J. Gledhill-Hoyt and H. Lee: 1998, ‘Increased levels of cigarette use among college students: A cause for national concern’, JAMA 280(19), pp. 1673-1678.
- Perceived Quality of Life and Self-Rated Health among First-Year University Students
Social Indicators Research
Volume 68, Issue 2 , pp 221-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- perceived quality of life
- self-rated health
- university students
- young adults health
- Industry Sectors