Population-Genetic Structure of Beaver (Castor fiber L., 1758) Communities and Estimation of Effective Reproductive Size N e of an Elementary Population
- A. N. Milishnikov
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The absence of panmixia at all hierarchical levels of the European beaver communities down to individual families implies a complex organization of the population-genetic structures of the species, in particular, a large intergroup component of gene diversity in the populations. Testing this assumption by analysis of 39 allozyme loci in the communities of reintroduced beaver from the Vyatka river basin (Kirov oblast) has shown that only the beaver colonies exhibit high intergroup gene diversity (G st = 0.32) whereas this parameter is much lower when estimated among beaver groups from individual Vyatka River tributaries and among localities of one of the tributaries (0.07 and 0.11, respectively). The data suggesting genetic heterogeneity among individual settles within colonies have been obtained. The factors affecting the structure of the beaver communities of the lower hierarchical ranks are considered: the common origin, founder effect, selection, gene drift, assortative mating, and social and behavior features of the species. The conclusion is drawn that the founder effect could be the primary factor of population differentiation only at the time of their formation. The heterogeneity among colonies and among settles is maintained largely by isolation of colonies from one another. The strong interspecific competition for food resources, which is behaviorally implemented in the species at the level of minimal structural units (individual settles) creates a profound and unique population-genetic subdivision of the species. These results substantiate the suggestion that an elementary population (micropopulation) of European beaver is a colony, i.e., a set of related settles of different types. Based on ecological and genetic parameters, the effective reproductive size N e of the minimum beaver population was estimated to be equal to three animals. This extremely low value of effective reproductive population size largely explains the high tolerance of European beaver to inbreeding and striking viability of the species, which from the early 19th century has been for more than hundred years on the brink of survival in the condition which would made any other mammalian species vanish from the Earth.
- Savel'ev, A.P., Open Problems of Systematics and Prospects of Revealing New Species in Recent Beavers (Castor sp.) of Eurasia, Sistematika i filogeniya gryzunov i zaitseobraznykh: Sbornik statei (Systematics and Phylogeny of Rodents and Hares: A Collection of Works), Agadzhanyan, A.K. and Orlov, V.N., Eds., Moscow, 2000, pp. 144–148.
- Stavrovskii, D.D., Bobry Berezinskogo biosfernogo zapovednika (Beavers of the Berezinskii Nature Reserve), Minsk: Uradzhai, 1989.
- Solov'ev, V.A., Rechnoi bobr evropeiskogo Severo-Vostoka(European Beaver of Northeastern Europe), Leningrad: Leningrad. Gos. Univ., 1991.
- Ellegren, H., Hartman, G., Johansson, M., and Andersson, L., Major Histocompatibility Complex Monomorphism and Low Levels of DNA Fingerprinting Variability in a Reintroduced and Rapidly Expanding Population of Beavers, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 1993, vol. 90, no. 17, pp. 8150–8153.
- Milishnikov, A.N., Likhnova, O.P., Nikonova, O.A., et al., Allozyme Variability in European BeaverCastor fiber L., 1758 (Castoridae, Rodentia) from the Voronezh State Nature Reserve, Genetika (Moscow), 1994, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 529–534.
- Milishnikov, A.N., Saveljev, A.P., and Likhnova, O.P., Allozyme Variation in European Beaver (Castor fiber L., 1758) Inhabiting Berezina and Cheptza Rivers, Genetika (Moscow), 1997, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 667–672.
- Paulausskas, A. and Ulevicius, A., Genetic Variability of European Beaver (Castor fiber L.) in Lithuania, Proc. 2nd Eur. Symp., Bialowieza, Poland, 2000, p. 31.
- . Milishnikov, A.N. and Saveljev, A.P., Genetic Divergence and Similarity of Introduced Populations of European Beaver (Castor fiber L., 1758) from Kirov and Novosibirsk Oblasts of Russia, Genetika (Moscow), 2001, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 124–127.
- Dezhkin, V.V., Materials to Characterization of Reproduction in European Beaver Castor fiber L., Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos.Zapovednika, 1961, no. 12, pp. 107–115.
- Zharkov, I.V., The Results of Introduction of European Beaver in the Soviet Union, Trudy Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1969, no. 16, pp. 10–51.
- D'yakov, Yu.V., Bobry evropeiskoi chasti Sovetskogo Soyuza (Beavers of the European Part of the USSR), Moscow: Moskovskii Rabochii, 1975.
- Nikolaev, A.G., Long-Term Dynamics of the Beaver Population Size in the Voronezh Nature Reserve, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1997, no. 23, pp. 81–98.
- Khlebovich, V.K., Experience of Genetic Analysis of the Color in Beaver, Tr. Vorenezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1938, no. 1, pp. 201–211.
- Nei, M., Analysis of Gene Diversity in Subdivided Population, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 1973, vol. 70, pp. 3321–3323.
- Nei, M. and Chakravarti, A., Drift Variances of Fst and Gst Statistics Obtained from a Finite Number of Isolated Populations, Theor. Populat. Biol., 1977, vol. 11, pp. 307–325.
- Zaykin, D.V. and Pudovkin, A.I., Two Programs to Estimate Significance of ?2 Values Using Pseudo-Probability Tests, J. Hered., 1993, vol. 84, pp. 152–155.
- Lavrov, L.S., Some Hereditary Specifics of Voronezh Beavers, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1948, no. 2, pp. 129–154.
- Safonov, V.G., The State of Beaver Populations of the Kirov, Perm, and Sverdlovsk Oblasts and Prospects of Their Use in the Current Five-Year Period, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1969, no. 16, pp. 105–114.
- Grevtsev, V.I., Accommodation, Population Size, and Prospects of Reproduction of European Beaver in the Kirov Oblast, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1975, no. 21, pp. 99-104.
- Nevo, E., Genetic Diversity in Nature: Patterns and Theory, Evol. Biol., 1988, vol. 23, pp. 217–247.
- Altukhov, Yu.P., Geneticheskie protsessy v populyatsiyakh(Genetic Processes in Populations), Moscow: Akademkniga, 2003.
- Wright, S., Isolation by Distance, Genetics, 1943, vol. 28, pp. 114–138.
- Lavrov, L.S., Lavrova, N.I., and Lavrov, V.L., Reproductive Processes and Specifics of Fertility Inheritance in East European Beaver in Captivity, Byull. Mosk. O-va Ispyt. Prir., Otd. Biol., 1988, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 41–47.
- Nikolaev, A.G., The Spatial Structure of the Voronezh Beaver Population and Bases of its Preservation and Rational Use, Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Voronezh, 1998.
- Lavrov, V.L., Ecologo-Biological Characterization of Beaver on Reproduction in Captivity and in Nature, Cand. Sc. (Biol.) Dissertation, Voronezh , 2001.
- Lavrov, L.S., Aboriginal Colonies of European Beaver in Eurasia, Their State, Role, and Preservation, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1969, no. 16, pp. 168–177.
- Abaturov, B.D. and Magomedov, M.-R.D., Dependence of the Mortality Rate on the Population Size and Food Availability in Small Ground Squirrel Citellus pygmaeus, Zool. Zh., 1982, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 890–899.
- Zharkov, I.V., On the Population Structure in Beaver, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1976, no. 21, pp. 91–97.
- Wright, S., Size of Population and Breeding Structure in Relation to Evolution, Science, 1938, vol. 87, pp. 430–431.
- Lavrov, L.S., The Current State and Location of European Beaver Resources in the Soviet Union, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1975, no. 21, pp. 4–16.
- Fedyushin, A.V., Belarusian Beavers and Measures of Their Preservation, Okhrana Prirody, 1929, no. 1, pp. 24–26.
- 32. Grave, G.L.,European Beaver in the Soviet Union and Its Commercial Value, Trudy po lesnomu opytnomu delu (Works in Experimental Forestry), Moscow: Sel'kolkhozgiz, 1931, pp. 75–140.
- Khlebovich, V.K., The Results of the Expedition Aimed at Examining the State and Estimating the Size of the Beaver Population of the Basin of the Voronezh River in 1934, Tr. Voronezhsk. Gos. Zapovednika, 1938, no. 1, pp. 145–169.
- Rychkov, Yu.G. and Sheremetjeva, V.A., The Genetics of Circumpolar Populations of Eurasia Related to the Problem of Human Adaptation, The Human Biology of Circumpolar Populations, Milan, F.A., Ed., Univ. Press,, vol. 21, pp. 37–80.
- Frankham, R., Effective Population Size/Adult PopulatioSize Ratios in Wildlife: A Review, Camb. Genet.Res., 1995, vol. 66, pp. 95–107.
- Petras, M.L., Studies of Natural Populations of Mus: I. Biochemical Polymorphism and Their Bearing on Breeding Structure, Evolution, 1967, vol. 21, pp. 229–274.
- DeFries, J.C. and McClearn, G.E., Behavioral Genetics and the Fine Structure of Mouse Populations: A Study in Microevolution., Evol. Biol., 1972, vol. 5, pp. 279–291.
- Lidicker, W.Z. and Patton, J.L., Patterns of Dispersal and Genetic Structure in Populations of Small Rodents: Mammalian Dispersal Patterns, The Effects of Social Structure on Population Genetics, Chepko-Sade, B.D. and Haplin, Z.T., Eds., Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press,1987, pp. 144–161.
- Wright, S., Evolution and the Genetics of Populations, vol. 2: The Theory of Gene Frequensies , Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press, 1969.
- Dezhkin, V.V., D'yakov, Yu.V., and Safonov, V.G., Bobr (The Beaver), Moscow: Agropromizdat, 1986.
- Safonov, V.G., Beavers, Upravlenie populyatsiyami okhotnich'ikh zhivotnykh (Management of Game Animal Populations), Grakov, N.N., Ed., Kirov: Inst. Okhot. Zhiv., 1999, pp. 49–56.
- Altukhov, Yu.P., Intraspecific Genetic Diversity: Monitoring and Conservation, Genetika (Moscow), 1995,vol. 31, pp. 1333–1357.
- Altukhov, Yu.P. and Rychkov, Yu.G., Population Systems and Their Structural Components: Genetic Stability and Variation, Zh. Obshch. Biol., 1970, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 507–526.
- Altukhov, Yu.P. and Blank, M.L., Computer Simulation of Genetic Processes Taking Place in Structured Populations, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1991, vol. 219, pp. 1467–1472.
- Population-Genetic Structure of Beaver (Castor fiber L., 1758) Communities and Estimation of Effective Reproductive Size N e of an Elementary Population
Russian Journal of Genetics
Volume 40, Issue 7 , pp 772-781
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Severtsov Institute of Ecology and Evolution, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 117071, Russia