Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study evaluated the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 (version 3.0) in terms of psychometric properties and its validation. One hundred and seventy patients completed three questionnaires EORTC QLQ-C30, the Beck depression inventory (BDI), and a brief pain inventory (BPI). Multitrait scaling analyses demonstrated that all scales met multidimensional conceptualization criteria, in terms of convergence and discrimination validity. Cronbach's α coefficients for eight multiple-item scales were greater than 0.70, with the exception of cognitive functioning. All interscale correlations were statistically significant in the expected direction (p < 0.01). Multivariate analyses showed that physical and emotional functioning were significant explanatory variables for the global quality-of-life (QOL) scale (regression coefficients: 0.36, p < 0.001; and 0.37, p < 0.001; respectively). All scales were significantly associated with pain severity and interference of the BPI, and with the cognitive-affective and somatic scales of the BDI. The emotional-functioning scale was substantially correlated with the cognitive-affective scale and somatic scale of the BDI. These results demonstrate that the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 is a valid instrument for evaluating Korean-speaking patients with cancer, and can be used to distinguish clearly between subgroups of patients of differing performance status.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Moinpour CM, Feigl P, Metch B, Hayden KA, Meyskens FL Jr, Crowley J. Quality of life end point in cancer clinical trials: Review and recommendations. J Natl Cancer Inst 1989; 81: 485-495.
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, Bullinger M, Cull A, Duez NJ, et al. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer EORTC QLQ-C30: A quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 365-376.
- Fayer P, Aaronson NK, Bjordal K, Sullian M. EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual. EORTC Quality of Life Group, Brussels, Belgium, 1995.
- Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiat 1961; 4: 561-571.
- Bech P. Rating scales for affective disorders: Their validity and consistency. Acta Psychiat Scand 1981; 64(suppl 295): 1-101.
- Ian McDowell, Claire Newell. Measuring Health: A Guide to Rating Scales and Questionnaires. Oxford University Press, 1996; 242-249.
- Hahn HM, Yum TH, Shin YW, Kim KH, Yoon DJ, Chung KJ. A standardization study of beck depression inventory in Korea. J Korean Neuropsychiat Assoc 1986; 25(3): 487-502.
- Cleeland CS, Gonin R, Hatfield AK, Edmonson JH, Blum RH, Stewart JA, et al. Pain and its treatment in outpatients with metastatic cancer. N Engl J Med 1994; 330: 592-596.
- Yun YH, Huh BY, Lee IG, Heo DS, Jeong HS, Kim HJ, et al. Multicenter study of pain and its management in patients with advanced cancer in Korea. J Pain Symptom Manage 2003; 25: 430-437.
- Hays RD, Hayashi T, Carson S, Ware JE. A User's Guide for the Multitrait Analysis Program. Santa Monica, California: Rand Corporation, 1988.
- Cronbach LJ. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of test. Psychometrika 1951; 16: 297.
- Kerlinger FN. Foundation of Behavior Research. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1973.
- Zhao H, Kanda K. Translation and validation of the Standard Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Qual Life Res 2000; 9: 129-137.
- Kaasa S, Bjordal K, Aaronson N, Moum T, Wist E, Hagen S, Kvikstad A. The EORTC core quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): Validity and reliability when analyzed with patients treated with palliative radiotherapy. Eur J Cancer 1995; 31A(13/14): 2260-2263.
- Kobayashi K, Takeda F, Teramukai S, Gotoh I, Sakai H, Yoneda S, et al. A cross-validation of the European organization for research and treatment of cancer EORTC QLQ-C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) for Japanese with lung cancer. Eur J Cancer 1998; 34(6): 810-815.
- Apolone G, Filiberti A, Cifani S, Mosconi P. Evaluation of the EORTC QLQ-C30 questionnaire: A comparison with SF-36 health survey in a cohort of Italian long-survival cancer patients. Ann Oncol 1998; 9: 549-557.
- D'Antonio LL, Long SA, Zimmerman GJ, Peterman AH, Petti GH, Chonkich GD. Relationship between quality of life and depression in patients with head and neck cancer. Laryngoscope 1998; 108(6): 806-811.
About this Article
- Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30
Quality of Life Research
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 863-868
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- EORTC QLQ-C30
- Validation study
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine, Gachon Medical School, Incheon, Korea
- 3. Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
- 4. EORTC Quality of Life Unit, Brussels, Belgium