Desiring at Will and Humeanism in Practical Reason
- Yonatan Shemmer
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hume's farmer's dilemma is usually construed as demonstrating the failure of Humeanism in practical reason and as providing an argument in favor of externalism or the theory of resolute choice. But thedilemma arises only when Humeanism is combined with the assumptionthat direct and intentional control of our desires – desiring atwill – is impossible. And such an assumption, albeit widely accepted,has little in its support. Once we reject that assumption we can describe a solution to the dilemma within the bounds of Humeanism. Moreover, wefind in this new solution as argument for the idea of desiring at will.
- Blackburn, S. (1998): Ruling Passions, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Brandt, B. (1979): A Theory of the Good and the Right, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bratman, M.E. (1998): ‘Toxin, Temptation, and the Stability of Intentions’, in L. Coleman and C. Morris (eds.), Rational Commitment and Social Justice (pp. 59–83), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bratman, M.E. (2001): ‘Two Problems About Human Agency’, Proceeding of the Aristotelian Society (pp. 309–326).
- Cohon, R. (1986): ‘Are External Reasons Impossible?’ Ethics 96, 545–556.
- Frankfurt, H. (1988): ‘Freedom of the Will and the Concept of a Person’, in The Importance of What We Care About (pp. 11–25), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gauthier, D. (1994): ‘Assure and Threaten’, Ethics 104, 690–721.
- Gauthier, D. (1998): ‘Rethinking the Toxin Puzzle’, in L. Coleman and C. Morris (eds.), Rational Commitment and Social Justice (pp. 47–58), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Harman, G. (1976): ‘Practical Reasoning’, The Review of Metaphysics 29, 431–463.
- Hooker, B. (1987): ‘Williams' Argument Against External Reasons’, Analysis 47, 42–44.
- Hubin, D. (2001): ‘The Groundless Normativity of Instrumental Rationality’, The Journal of Philosophy 98, 445–468.
- Hutcheson, F. (1991): ‘An Inquiry Concerning Moral Good and Evil’, in D.D. Raphael (ed.), British Moralists, Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.
- Korsgaard, C. (1986): ‘Skepticism about Practical Reason’, Journal of Philosophy 83, 5–25.
- Korsgaard, C. (1996): The Sources of Normativity, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- McClennen, E. (1990): Rationality and Dynamic Choice: Foundational Explorations, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- McDowell, J. (1995): ‘Might There Be External Reasons’, in J. Altham and R. Harrison (eds.), World, Mind and Ethics (pp. 68–85), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Millgram, E. (1997): Practical Induction, Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Mintoff, J. (1997): ‘Rational Cooperation, Intention, and Reconsideration’, Ethics 107, 612–643.
- Robertson, J. (2001): ‘Internalism, Practical Reason, and Motivation’, in Elijah Millgram (ed.), Varieties of Practical Reasoning, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Searle, J. (2001): Rationality in Action, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Shemmer, Y. (2001): Desiring at Will (Doctoral dissertation), Stanford University.
- Skyrms, B. (1998): ‘The Shadow of the Future’, in L. Coleman and C. Morris (eds.), Rational Commitment and Social Justice (pp. 12–21), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Smith, M. (1994): The Moral Problem, Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd.
- Velleman, D. (1997): ‘Deciding How to Decide’, in G. Cullity and B. Gaut (eds.), Ethics and Practical Reason (pp. 29–52), Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Wallace, J. (1990): ‘How to Argue about Practical Reason’, Mind 99, 355–385.
- Williams, B. (1981): ‘Internal and External Reason’, in Moral Luck (pp. 101–113), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Desiring at Will and Humeanism in Practical Reason
Volume 119, Issue 3 , pp 265-294
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Yonatan Shemmer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 1708 Martin Luther King, Apt. 2, Berkeley, CA, 94709, USA E-mail