Tri-dimensional morphometric analysis of astrocytic processes with high voltage electron microscopy of thick Golgi preparations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A characteristic feature of the astrocytic processes is to assume the form of shin sheets or lamellate coverings of other brain constituents. We analyzed the extensive and finely divided processes of the protoplasmic astrocyte in the molecular layer of the rat dentate gyrus by means of computer electron tomography and stereo-photogrammetry using tilted high voltage electron microscope images of thick Golgi preparations. The surface area and volume of the astrocytic processes were measured and the surface/volume ratios were estimated. The surface/volume ratios of astrocytic processes in the neuropile ranged from 18.9 to 33.0 per μm, and the mean value was 26.2 ± 5.0 per μm. The values were roughly comparable to those previously reported for the microdomain of Bergmann glia cell terminal processes in the rat cerebellum, which were estimated from reconstructions using thin serial section electron microscope images. The large surface to volume ratio of the astrocytic processes in the neuropile resulted from the lamellar nature of the processes interposed between other cellular elements, and may reflect the functional activities of the astrocyte. The results suggest the usefulness of the electron tomography and stereo-photogrammetry for three-dimensional morphometrical analysis of the astrocytic processes, although both techniques can be expected to be refined further in order to provide more precise measurements of these complicated processes.
- ARII, T. & HAMA, K. (1987) Method of extracting three-dimensional information from HVEM stereo images of biological materials. Journal of Electron Microscopy 36, 177–195.
- BUSHONG, E., MARTON, M. E., JOES, Y. & ELLISMAN, M. H. (2002) Protoplasmic astrocytes in CAI stratum radiatum occupy separateanatomical domains. Journal of Neuroscience 22, 183–192.
- CHAN-PALAY, V. & PALAY, S. L. (1972) The form of velate astrocytes in the cerebellar cortex of monkey and rat: High voltage electron microscopy of rapid Golgi preparations. Zeitschrift f ¨ urAnatomie und Entwicklungs-Geschichte 138,1–19.
- CHAUDHRY, F. A., LEHRE, K. P., CAMPAGNE, M. V. L., OTTERSEN, O. P., DANBOLT, N. C. & MATHISEN, J. S. (1995) Glutamate transporters in glial plasma membranes. Highly differentiated localizations revealed by quantitative ultrastructural immunocyto-chemistry. Neuron 15,711–720.
- FERNANDEZ, J. J., LAWRENCE, A. F., ROCAL, J., GARCIA, I., ELLISMAN, M. H. & CARAZO, J. M. (2002) High-performance electron tomography of complex biological specimens. Journal of Structural Biology 138,6–20.
- FIELD, R. D. & STEVENS-GRAHAM, B. (2002) New insights into neuronglia communication. Science 298, 556–562.
- FRANK, J. W. T., MCEVEN, B. F., RADERMACHER, M., TURNER, J. N. & RIEDER, C. L. (1987) Three-dimensional tomographic reconstruction in high voltage electron microscopy. Journal of Electron Microscopy Technique 6, 193–205.
- FRANK, J. W. T., MCEVEN, B. F., MARKO, M., HSIEH, C. E. & MANNLLA, C. A. (2002) Three-dimensional imaging of biological complexity. Journal of Structural Biology 138,85–91.
- GROSCHE, J., MATYASH, V., MOLLER, T., VERKHRATSKY, A., REICHENBACH, A. & KETTENMANN, H. (1999) Microdomains for neuronglia interaction: Parallel fiber signaling to Bergmann glial cells. Nature Neuroscience 1, 139–143.
- GROSCHE, J., KETTENMANN, H., & REICHENBACH, A. (2002) Bergman glia cells form distinct morphological structures to interact with cerebellar neurons. Journal of Neuroscience Research 68, 138–149.
- HAMA, K., MIZUKAWA, A. & KOSAKA, T. (1978) The fine structure of the Mueller cell revealed by high voltage electron microscopy. Sensory Processes 2, 296–299.
- HAMA, K. & KOSAKA, T. (1979) Purkinje cell and related neurons and glia cells under high voltage electron microscopy. In Progress in Neuropathology (edited by ZIMMERMAN, H. M.) vol. 4, pp. 61–77. New York: Raven Press.
- HAMA, K. & KOSAKA, T. (1981) Neurobiological applications of high voltage electron microscopy. Trends in Neurosciences 4, 193–196.
- HAMA, K., ARII, T. & KOSAKA, T. (1994) Three-dimensional organization of neuronal and glial processes: High voltage electron microscopy. Microscopy Research and Technique 29, 357–367.
- HARLOW, M. L., RESS, D., STOSCHEK, A., MARSHALL, R. M. & MCMAHAN, U. J. (2001) The architecture of active zone material at frog's neuromuscular junction. Nature 409, 479–484.
- HAYDON, P. G. (2001) Glia: Listening and talking to the synapse. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 2, 185–193.
- HIRANO, A. (1978) Neuronal and glial processes in neuropathology. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 37, 365–374.
- HIRANO, A. (1997) Neurons and astrocytes. In Textbook of Neuropathology (edited by DAVIS, R. L. & ROBERTSON, D. M.) 3rd edition, pp. 1–109. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.
- HSIEH, C. E., MARKO, M., FRANK, J. & MANNELLA, C. A. (2002) Electron tomographic analysis of frozen-hydrated tissue sections. Journal of Structural Biology 138, 63–73.
- IINO, M., GOTO, K., KAKEGAWA, W., OKADO, H., SUDO, M., ISHIUCHI, S., MIWA, A., TKAYASU, Y., SAITO, I., TSUZUKI, K. & OZAWA, S. (2001) Glia-synapse interaction through Ca 2-permeable AMPA receptors in Bergmann glia. Science 292, 926–929.
- KATAYAMA, E., SHIRAISHI, T., BABA, N. & AIZAWA, S. (1996) Geometry of the flagellar motor in the cyto-plasmic membrane of Salmonella typhimurium as detected by stereo-photogrammetry of quick-freeze deep-etch replica images. Journal of Molecular Biology 255, 458–475.
- KOSAKA, T. & HAMA, K. (1986) Three-dimensional structure of astrocytes in the rat dentate gyrus. Journal of Comparative Neurology 249, 242–260.
- MARTONE, M. E., DEERINCK, J. J., YAMADA, N., BUSHONG, E. & ELLISMAN, M. H. (2000) Correlated 3D light and electron microscopy: Use of high voltage electron microscopy and electron tomography for imaging large biological structures. Journal of Histotechnology 23, 261–270.
- OLIET, S. H. R., PIET, R. & POULAIN, D. A. (2001) Control of glutamate clearance and synaptic efficacy by glial coverage of neurons. Science 292, 923–926.
- PALAY, S. L. & CHAN-PALAY, V. (1973) High voltage electron microscopy of the central nervous system in Golgi preparations. Journal of Microscopy 97,41–47.
- PALAY, S. L. & CHAN-PALAY, V. (1974) The velate proto-plasmic astrocyte. In Cerebellar Cortex. pp. 311–316. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- PERKINS, G., RENKEN, C., MARTON, M. E., YOUNG, S. J., ELLISMAN, M. & FRAY, T. (1997) Electron tomography of neuronal mitochondria: Three-dimensional structure and organization of cristae and membrane contacts. Journal of Structural Biology 119, 260–272.
- PETERS, A., PALAY, S. L. & WEBSTER, H. D. (1991) Astrocyte. In The Fine Structure of the Nervous System, 3rd edition, pp. 276–295. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press.
- PRIVAT, A., RIBOTTA, M. G. & RIDET, J. U. (1995) Morphology of astrocytes. In Neuroglia (edited by KETTENMANN, H. & RANSON, B. R.) pp. 3–43. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- REICHENBACH, A., SIEGEL, A., SENITZ, D. & SMITH, T. G. (1992) A comparative fractal analysis of various mammalian astroglial cell types. NeuroImage 1,69–77.
- SMITH, T. G., BEHAR, T. N., LANGE, G. D., MARKS, W. B. & SHERIFF, W. H. (1991) A fractal analysis of cultured rat optic nerve glial growth and differentiation. Neuroscience 41, 159–166.
- SOTO, G. E., YOUNG, S. J., MARTON, M. E., DEERINCK, T. J., LAMONT, S., CARRAGHER, B. O., HAMA, K. & ELLISMAN, M. H. (1994) Serial section electron tomography: A method for three-dimensional reconstruction of large structure. Neuro-Image 1, 230–243.
- STEINHAUESER, C. & GALLO, V. (1996) News on glutamate receptors in glia cells. Trends in Neurosciences 19, 339–345.
- VENTURA, R. & HARRIS, K. M. (1999) Three-dimensional relationships between hippocampal synapses and astrocytes. Journal of Neuroscience 19, 6897–6906.
- VERHRATSKY, A. & KETTENMANN, H. (1996) Calcium signaling in glial cells. Trends in Neurosciences 19, 346–352.
- WHITAKER, R. H. & ELANGOVAN, V. (2002) Adirect approach to estimating surface tomographic data. Medical Image Analysis 6, 235–249.
- WILSON, C. J., MASTRONARDE, D. N., MCEVEN, B. & FRANK, J. (1992) Measurement of neuronal surface area using high voltage electron microscope tomography. NeuroImage 1,11–22.
- WILSON, C. J. (1994) Understanding the neostriatal microcircuitry: High voltage electron microscopy. Microscopy Research and Technique 29, 368–380.
- Tri-dimensional morphometric analysis of astrocytic processes with high voltage electron microscopy of thick Golgi preparations
Journal of Neurocytology
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 277-285
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, 444-8585, Japan
- 2. HVEM Center, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, 444-8585, Japan
- 3. Institute for Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Minatoku, Tokyo, 108-8639, Japan
- 4. NCMIR, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, 92093-0608, USA