Synthesis and Characteristics of Ultra-Fine Superconducting Powders in the Nb–N, Nb–N–C, Nb–Ti–N–C systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The single phase powders of NbN, NbN1-yCy, Nb1-xTixN1-yCy with a mean particle size of 10–70nm were prepared in the nitrogen plasma flow of a microwave discharge at a hydrogen reduction of NbF5 only, or in a mixture with C5H12, or with the addition of TiCl4. It was established that the critical magnetic field of ultra-fine niobium–titanium carbonitride powders is about three times higher as compared with bulk samples of the same composition. The critical magnetic field ran up to 55T for ultra-fine powders with the optimal composition Nb0.8Ti0.2N0.8C0.2. This material may be interesting for the technical superconductivity in the helium temperature range.
- Batenin V.M., I.I. Klimovskiy, G.V. Lysov & V.N. Troitskiy, 1994. Superhigh Frequency Generators of Plasma. CRC Press Inc., ISBN 0-8493-9305-1.
- Brauer G. & H. Kinger, 1964. Drucksynthesis von Niobnitriden und constitution von ?-NbN. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chemie. 328, 34–43.
- Brauer G. & R. Lesser, 1959. Karbonitrides desNiobs. Z. Metallkd. 50, 487–492.
- Dew-Hughes D. & R. Jones, 1980. The effect of neutron irradiation upon the superconducting critical temperature of some transition metal carbides, nitrides, and carbonitrides. Appl. Phys. Lett. 36, 856–859.
- Domashnev I.A., O.D. Torbova, V.I. Berestenko & V.N. Troitskiy, 1981. Superconductivity of small particles of a titanium oxynitride. Solid State Phys. 23, 3082–3086 (in Russian).
- Matsumoto J., Y. Shirato & Y. Hayakawa, 1969. Studies on nitrides formation by means of nitrogen plasma jet. J. Electrochem. Soc. Japan 37, 151–164.
- Pessall N., R.E. Gold & H.A. Johansen, 1968. A study of superconductivity in interstitial compounds. J. Phys. Chem. Solids 29, 19–38.
- Ronsheim R., A. Mazza & A.N. Christensen, 1981. Thermal plasma: Synthesis of transition metal nitrides and alloys. Plasma Chem. Plasma Process. 1, 135–147.
- Rubtsov V.I., Yu.M. Shulga, V.N. Troitskiy, E.N. Kurkin & A.A. Budanov, 1995. Electron spectroscopy study of Nb1?x TixN1?y Cy ultrathin powders. Phys. Low-Dim. Struct. 12, 287–292.
- Saito M. & O. Matsumoto, 1975. Formation of niobium carbonitride from Nb2O5 and graphite in a plasma arc. High Temp. Sci. 7, 167–172.
- Shulga Yu.M., G.J. Kljaschitskiy, V.I. Rubtsov, E.N. Kurkin & V.N. Troitskiy, 1991. Investigation of ultra-fine powders from Nb-N system by methods of XPS-and AES. Poverkhnost. 9, 67–77 (in Russian).
- Terao N., 1965. Structure des Nitrures de Niobium. Japan J. Appl. Phys. 4, 353–367.
- Troitskiy V.N., I.A. Domashnev, E.N. Kurkin, O.M. Grebtsova, A.A. Budanov, S.V. Gurov & G.J. Kljaschitskiy, 1994. Plasma-chemical synthesis and properties of ultra-fine niobium nitride. Chem. High Energies 28, 275–279 (in Russian).
- Synthesis and Characteristics of Ultra-Fine Superconducting Powders in the Nb–N, Nb–N–C, Nb–Ti–N–C systems
Journal of Nanoparticle Research
Volume 5, Issue 5-6 , pp 521-528
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- niobium nitride
- niobium carbonitride
- niobium and titanium carbonitride
- plasma-chemical synthesis
- ultra-fine powders
- Industry Sectors