State and Local Prevalence of Firearms Ownership Measurement, Structure, and Trends
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Of the readily computed proxies for the prevalence of gun ownership, one, the percentage of suicides committed with a gun, is most highly correlated with survey-based estimates. It is the best choice for use in cross-section analysis of the effect of gun prevalence on crime patterns across states and larger counties.
Analysis of this proxy measure for the period 1979–1997 demonstrates that the geographic structure of gun ownership has been highly stable. That structure is closely linked to rural tradition. There is, however, some tendency toward homogenization over this period, with high-prevalence states trending down and low-prevalence states trending up.
- Azrael, D., and Hemenway, D. (2000). In the safety of your own home: Results from a national survey on gun use at home. Soc. Sci. Med. 50(2): 285-291.
- Blumstein, A. (2000). Disaggregating the violence trends. Blumstein, A., and Wallman, J. (eds.), The Crime Drop in America, Cambridge University Press, New York, 13-44.
- Brearley, H. C. (1932). Homicide in the U.S., University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill.
- Cook, P. J. (1979). The effect of gun availability on robbery and robbery murder: A cross section study of fifty cities. Haveman, R. H., and Zellner, B. B., Policy Studies Review Annual, 3, Sage, Beverly Hills, CA.
- Cook, P. J. (1991). The technology of personal violence. Michael Tonry (ed.), Crime and Justice: A Review of Research (Vol. 14), University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1-71.
- Cook, P. J., and Braga, A. (2001). Comprehensive firearms tracing: Strategic and investigative uses of new data on firearms markets. Arizona Law Rev. 43(2): 277-309.
- Cook, P. J., and Leitzel, J. (1996). Perversity, futility, jeopardy: An economic analysis of the attack on gun control. Law Contemp. Problems 59(1): Winter.
- Cook, P. J., and Ludwig, J. (1996). Guns in America: Results of a Comprehensive National Survey on Firearms Ownership and Use, The Police Foundation, Washington, DC.
- Cook, P. J., and Ludwig, J. (2002). Litigation as regulation: The case of firearms. In Viscusi, W. K., Regulation Through Litigation, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC.
- Cook, P. J., and Ludwig, J. (2003). The effects of gun prevalence on burglary: Deterrence vs. inducement. Ludwig, J., and Cook, P. J. (eds.), Evaluating Gun Policy, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC.
- Curtis, L. A. (1974). Criminal Violence, Lexington Books, Lexington, MA.
- Davis, J. A., and Smith, T. W. (1998). General Social surveys, 1972–1998 [machine-readable data file]/Principal Investigator James A. Davis; Director and Co—Principal Investigator, Tom W. Smith; Sponsored by National Science foundation—NORC ed.—Chicago: National Opinion Research Center [producer]; Storrs, CT: The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, University of Connecticut [distributor].
- Duggan, M. (2001). More guns, more crime. J. Political Econ. 109(5): 1086-1114.
- Etzioni, A., and Remp, R. (1973). Technological Shortcuts in Social Change, Russell Sage, New York.
- Fisher, J. (1976). Homicide in Detroit: The role of firearms. Criminology 13: 387-400.
- Hemenway, D., Azrael, D., and Miller, M. (2000). Gun use in the United States: Results from two national surveys. Injury Prevent. 6: 263-267.
- Jacobs, J. (2002). Can Gun Control Work? Oxford University Press, New York.
- Kleck, G. (1997). Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, Aldine de Gruyter, New York.
- Kleck, G., and Patterson, E. B. (1993). The impact of gun control and gun ownership levels on violence rates. J. Quant. Criminol. 9: 249-288.
- Krug, A. S. (1968). The relationship between firearms ownership and crime rates: A statistical analysis. Congressional Record (January 30): H570-72.
- Lester, D. (1985). The use of firearms in violent crime. Crime and Justice 8: 115-120.
- Ludwig, J., Cook, P. J., and Smith, T. W. (1998). The gender gap in reporting household gun ownership. Am. J. Publ. Hlth. 88(11), Nov.: 1715-1718.
- Miller, M., Azrael, D., and Hemenway, D. (2000). Community firearms and community fear. Epidemiology 11: 709-714.
- Miller, M., Azrael, D., and Hemenway, D. (2001). Firearm availability and unintentional firearm deaths. Accident Anal. and Prevent. 33: 477-484.
- Miller, M., Azrael, D., and Hemenway, D. (2002a). Firearm availability and unintentional firearm deaths, suicide and homicide among 5–14 year-olds. J. Trauma 52 (February): 267–275.
- Miller, M., Azrael, D., and Hemenway, D. (2002b). Firearm availability and unintentional firearm deaths, suicide and homicide among women. J. Urban Hlth. 79(1): 26-38.
- Miller, M., Azrael, D., and Hemenway, D. (2002c). Rates of household firearm ownership and homicide across US regions and states, 1988–1997. Am. J. Publ. Hlth. 92(<bib-issue>12</bib-issue>): 1988-1993.
- Powell, K. E., Jacklin, B. C., Nelson, D. E., and Bland, S. (1998). State estimates of household exposure to firearms, loaded firearms, and handguns, 1991 through 1995. Am. J. Publ. Hlth. 88(6): 969-72.
- Siegel, P. Z., Frazier, E. L., Mariolis, P., Brackbill, R. M., and Smith, C. (1993). Behavioral risk factor surveillance, 1991: Monitoring progress toward the nation's year 2000 health objectives. Morbid. Mort. Week. Rep. (MMWR) 42(SS-4): 1-21. August 27.
- Sloan, J. H., Kellermann, A. L., Reay, D. T., Ferris, J. A., Koepsell, T., Rivara, F. P., Rice, C., Gray, L., and LaGerfo, J. (1990). Handgun regulations, crime, assaults and homicide. New Eng. J. Med. 319: 1256-1262.
- Vernick, J. S., and Hepburn, L. M. (2003). Examining state and federal gun laws: Trends for 1970–1999. Ludwig, J. and Cook, P. J., Evaluating Gun Policy, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC.
- Zimring, F. E., and Hawkins, G. (1997). Crime is not the Problem: Lethal Violence in America, Oxford University Press, New York.
- State and Local Prevalence of Firearms Ownership Measurement, Structure, and Trends
Journal of Quantitative Criminology
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 43-62
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- gun prevalence
- proxy variables