Lake-Sediment Evidence for Local and Remote Sources of Atmospherically Deposited Pollutants on Svalbard
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Twenty-one lakes along the west coast of Svalbard were cored between 28 July and 14 August 1995. Five cores were 210Pb dated and analysed for spheroidal carbonaceous particles (SCPs), indicators of deposition from fossil-fuel combustion sources, and trace metals. Surface and pre-industrial levels of five cores were analysed for 10 polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) isomers and 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) compounds, whilst all 21 surface sediments were analysed for SCPs. Temporal and spatial trends in the atmospheric deposition of pollutants were identified. Whilst temporal patterns of deposited pollutants may have been truncated due to concentrations falling below the limits of detection, spatial patterns showed elevated levels of SCP, PAH, PCB, and possibly Pb within 60–70 km of Isfjord. Tenndammen (U), the closest site to Longyearbyen, showed the highest levels of contamination for all pollutants. Differences in the deposition patterns of PAH and PCB are thought to be due to local sources of PAH from coal combustion whilst PCB sources are remote. It is concluded that the impact from atmospheric deposition on Svalbard is due to a combination of spatially limited local sources superimposed on a broad-scale, long-range pattern.
- Appleby P.G. 2004. Recent environmental change and human impact in Svalbard: sediment chronology. J. Paleolim. (this issue).
- Appleby P.G., Nolan P., Gifford D.W., Godfrey M.J., Oldfield F., Anderson N.J. and Battarbee R.W. 1986. 210Pb dating by low background gamma counting. Hydrobiologia 141: 21–27.
- Barrie L.A. 1986. Arctic air pollution: an overview of current knowledge. Atmos. Environ. 20: 643–663.
- Beine H.J., Engardt M., Jaffe D.A., Hov Ø., Holmén K. and Stordal F. 1996. Measurements of NOx and aerosol particles at the Ny-Ålesund Zeppelin mountain station on Svalbard: influence of regional and local pollution sources. Atmos. Environ. 30: 1067–1079.
- Berg T., Hjellbrekke A.-G. and Skjelmoen J.E. 1996. Heavy metals and POPs within the ECE region. EMEP/CCC-Report 8/96. NILU, Kjeller, Norway, 187 pp.
- Berge E. (ed.). 1997. Transboundary air pollution in Europe. MSC-W Status report 1997. Part 2: Numerical Addendum to Emissions, dispersion and trends of acidifying and eutrophying agents. EMEP/MSC-W Report 1/97.
- Betts-Piper A.M., Zeeb B.A. and Smol J.P. 2004. Distribution and autecology of chrysophyte cysts from high arctic Svalbard lakes: preliminary evidence of recent environmental change. J. Paleolim. (this issue).
- Birks H.J.B., Monteith D.T., Rose N.L., Jones V.J. and Peglar S.M. 2004. Recent environmental change and atmospheric contamination on Svalbard as recorded by lake sediments — modern limnology, vegetation and pollen deposition. J. Paleolim. (this issue).
- Boers J.P., De Leer E.W.B., Gramberg L. and De Koning L. 1993. Levels of co-planar PCBs in fleu gases of high temperature processes and their occurrence in environmental samples. Short Papers of the 13th International Symposium on Chlorinated Dioxins and Related Compounds, (September 1993 Vienna, Austria.) 11: pp. 233–236.
- Boyle J.F., Birks H.J.B., Rose N.L. and Appleby P.G. 2004. Recent environmental change and human impacts on Svalbard: the lake geochemical record. J. Paleolim. (this issue).
- Brekke B. 1996. Discharges from human settlements on Svalbard. Norsk Polarinstitutt Report, 9 pp.
- Burkow I.C. and Kallenborn R. 2000. Sources and transport of persistent pollutants to the Arctic. Toxicol. Lett. 112–113: 87–92.
- Fernández P., Rose N.L., Vilanova R.M. and Grimalt J.O. 2002. Spatial and temporal comparison of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and spheroidal carbonaceous particles in remote European lakes. Wat. Air Soil Pollut. FOCUS 2: 261–274.
- Glew J.R. 1989. A new trigger mechanism for sediment samplers. J. Paleolim. 2: 241–243.
- Grodzinska K. and Godzik B. 1991. Heavy metals and sulphur in mosses from southern Spitsbergen. Polar Res. 9: 133–140.
- Heintzenberg J. 1989. Arctic Haze: air pollution in polar regions. Ambio 18: 50–55.
- Jaworowski Z. 1989. Pollution of the Norwegian Arctic: a review. Norsk Polarinstitutt. Rapport 55, Oslo.
- Jones V.J. and Birks H.J.B. 2004. Lake-sediment records of recent environmental change on Svalbard: results of diatom analysis. J. Paleolim. (this issue).
- Kocan A., Petrik J., Chovancová J., Neubauerova L. and Bezacinsky M. 1991. PCBs in the Environment. Chemistry in Britain, May 1991, pp. 435–438.
- Kovacs K.M. 1996. The impact of human settlement on Svalbard. Contaminant risks to the environment. Akvaplan — NIVA 410.96.1043, 74 pp.
- Lannefors H., Heintzenberg J. and Hansson H.Ch. 1983. A comprehensive study of physical and chemical parameters of the Arctic summer aerosol; results from the Swedish expedition Ymer-80. Tellus 35B: 40–54.
- Lien L., Henriksen A. and Traaen T.S. 1993. Critical loads of acidity to surface waters — Svalbard. NIVA Report O-90102, 19 pp.
- Maenhaut W., Cornille P., Pacyna J.M. and Vitols V. 1989. Trace element composition and origin of the atmospheric aerosol in the Norwegian Arctic. Atmos. Environ. 23: 2551–2569.
- Mehlum F. 1990. Birds and Mammals of Svalbard. Norsk Polarinstitutt, Oslo, 140 pp.
- Mitchell M. 1956. Visual range in the polar regions with particular reference to the Alaskan Arctic. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. Special Suppl.: 195–211.
- Olsson K., Savinov V., Gulliksen B. and Dahle S. 1998. Contaminants in marine sediments, Svalbard 1997. Akvaplan-niva Report 414.98.1396, 36 pp.
- Pacyna J.M. and Ottar B. 1985. Transport and chemical composition of the summer aerosol in the Norwegian Arctic. Atmos. Environ. 19: 2109–2120.
- Pacyna J.M., Ottar B., Tomza U. and Maenhaut W. 1985. Longrange transport of trace elements to Ny-Ålesund, Spitsbergen. Atmos. Environ. 19: 857–865.
- Rahn K.A. and Shaw G.E. 1982. Sources and transport of Arctic pollution aerosols: a chronicle of six years of ONR research. Naval Res. Rev. S2–S26.
- Rose C.L. 1996. PCBs and PAHs in Svalbard lake sediment cores. AEA Technology National Environmental Technology Centre Report AEA/WMES/RCEC/18352007/Issue 1, 26 pp.
- Rose N.L. 1994. A note on further refinements to a procedure for the extraction of carbonaceous fly-ash particles from sediments. J. Paleolim. 11: 201–204.
- Rose N.L. and Rippey B. 2002. The historical record of PAH, PCB, trace metal and fly-ash particle deposition at a remote lake in north-west Scotland. Environ. Pollut. 117: 121–132.
- Rose N.L., Harlock S. and Appleby P.G. 1999. The spatial and temporal distributions of spheroidal carbonaceous fly-ash particles (SCP) in the sediment records of European mountain lakes. Wat. Air Soil Pollut. 113: 1–32.
- Rose N.L., Harlock S., Appleby P.G. and Battarbee R.W. 1995. Dating of recent lake sediments in the United Kingdom and Ireland using spheroidal carbonaceous particle (SCP) concentration profiles. The Holocene 5: 328–335.
- Sadasivan S. and Negi B.S. 1990. Elemental characterization of atmospheric aerosols. Sci. Tot. Environ. 90: 269–279.
- Sanders G., Jones K.C., Hamilton-Taylor J. and Dörr H. 1992. Historical inputs of polychlorinated biphenyls and other organochlorines to a dated lacustrine sediment core in rural England. Environ. Sci. Technicol. 26: 394–396.
- Sanders G., Jones K.C., Hamilton-Taylor J. and Dorr H. 1993. Concentrations and deposition fluxes of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and heavy metals in the dated sediments of a rural English lake. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 12: 1567–1581.
- Schoonenboom M.H., Tromp P.C. and Olie K. 1993. The formation of co-planar PCBs, PCDDs and PCDFs in a fly-ash model system. Short Papers of the 13th International Symposium on Chlorinated Dioxins and Related Compounds. September 1993, Vienna, Austria. 11: 277–280.
- Simões J.C. and Zagorodnov V.S. 2001. The record of anthropogenic pollution in snow and ice in Svalbard, Norway. Atmos. Environ. 35: 403–413.
- Tørseth K. 1996. Overvåking av langtransportert forurenset luft og nedbør. Atmosfærisk tilførsel, 1995. NILU Report OR 38/96, 189 pp.
- Wania F. and Mackay D. 1996. A global distribution model for persistent organic chemicals. Sci. Tot. Environ. 160/161: 211–232
- Wathne B., Patrick S.T. and Cameron N.G. (eds). 1995. AL:PE — acidification of mountain lakes: palaeolimnology and ecology. Part 2 — remote mountain lakes as indicators of air pollution and climate change. Report to the Commission of the European Communities, Research Council of Norway and the Austrian Research Foundation. NIVA Report No. 3638-97, 525 pp.
- Lake-Sediment Evidence for Local and Remote Sources of Atmospherically Deposited Pollutants on Svalbard
Journal of Paleolimnology
Volume 31, Issue 4 , pp 499-513
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Atmospheric deposition
- Spheroidal carbonaceous particles
- Trace metals
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Environmental Change Research Centre, University College London, 26 Bedford Way, London, WC1H 0AP, UK
- 2. National Environmental Technology Centre, AEA Technology, Culham, Oxfordshire, OX14 3DB, UK
- 3. Department of Geography, University of Liverpool, P.O. Box 147, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK
- 4. Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool, P.O. Box 147, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK