Creating an Integrated Health Care System in Greece: A Primary Care Perspective
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Over the past few years Greece has undergone several endeavors, aimed at modernizing and improving the national health care services. A Health Care Reform Act seeking quality improvement and coordination of outpatient and hospital services at the Regional level, through the enhancement of primary care, has been recently approved. This paper reports a proposal for integrated health system in the primary care system in Greece with a major focus on equity, quality, and outcomes. The equity and quality framework of this proposal will possess the main components focusing on the provision of essential services, clinical, and organizational standards.
- Lionis, Ch., and Mercouris, M.-P., Views on today's situation in primary health care and proposals for its improvement. Prim. Health Care 12:7–9, 2000 (in Greek).
- Souliotis, K., and Lionis, C., Functional reconstruction for the primary health care: A proposal for the rise of the impassable. Arch. Hellenic Med. 20(5):466–476, 2003 (in Greek).
- Ministry of Health and Welfare of Greece, Health, Health Care and Welfare in Greece, Athens, Greece, 2003.
- Souliotis, K., The Role of the Private Sector in the Greek Health Care System, Papazisis, Athens, Greece, 2000 (in Greek).
- Souliotis, K., Analysis of health expenditure in Greece 1989-2000. Methodological clarifications and discoveries regarding the health care system. In Kyriopoulos, K, and Souliotis, K. (eds.), Health Expenditures in Greece. Methodological Problems in Measurement and Consequencies for Health Policies, Papazisis, Athens, Greece, 2002 (in Greek).
- Kyriopoulos, J., Georgoussi, E., Andrioti, D., Boerma, W., and Mercouris, M. P., The involvement of General-Medicine physicians in Preventive Medicine. Prim. Health Care 7:21–28, 1995 (in Greek).
- Georgoussi, E., Andrioti, D., Kyriopoulos, J., Boerma, W., and Mercouris, P. M. The characteristics of General-Medicine physicians' services in Greece, in comparison with other European countries. Prim. Health Care 4:193–202, 1999 (in Greek).
- Lionis, Ch., and Kyriopoulos, J., Primary health care and General Medicine: The safety valve for high quality in health care. Prim. Health Care 12:167–168, 2000 (in Greek).
- Arguriadou, S., Melissaropoulou, H., Krania, E., Karagiannidou, A., Vlachonikolis, J., and Lionis, C., Dementia and depression: Two frequent disorders of the aged in primary health care in Greece. Fam. Pract. 18:87–91, 2001.
- Lionis, C., Tzagournissakis, M., Iatraki, E., Kozyraki, M., Antonakis, N., and Plaitakis, A., Are primary care physicians able to assess dementia? An estimation of their capacity after a short-term training program in rural Crete. Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry 9:3, 2001.
- Lionis, C., Chatziarsenis, M., Antonakis, N., Gianoulis, Y., and Fioretos, M., Assessment of vaccine coverage of school children in three primary health care areas in rural Crete, Greece. Fam. Pract. 15:443–448, 1998.
- Chatziarsenis, M., Miyakis, S., Faresj ¨o, T., Fioretos, M., Vlachonicolis, J., Trell, E., and Lionis, C., Is there room for General Practice in penitentiary institutions: Screening and vaccinating high risk groups against hepatitis. Fam. Pract. 16:366–368, 1999.
- Lionis, C., Frangoulis, E., Skliros, S., Alexandrakis, G., and Kouroumalis, E., How Greek GPs manage hepatitis C infected patients: Experiences gained from a primary health care district in rural Crete. Aust. J. Fam. Phys. 28:207, 1999.
- Evrenidou, K., Mylonakis, M., Mittas, E., Vlachonikolis, I., and Lionis, C., Visits to a General Prac-titioner in a tourist area of Crete during one night. Medicine 78:261–265, 2000 (in Greek).
- Kyriopoulos, J., Lionis, C., Dimoliatis, G., Mercouris, M. P., Economou, C., Tsakos, G., and Philalithis, A., Primary health care as the foundation of health reform. Prim. Health Care 12:169–188, 2000 (in Greek).
- Lionis, C., The draft law in primary health care-A challenge in health care reform. Prim. Health Care 14:11–12, 2002 (in Greek).
- Lionis, C., and Mercouris, M.-P., General/Family Medicine at the crossroads: Necessary prerequisites for its establishment in Greece. Prim. Health Care 13:8–9, 2001 (in Greek).
- Anderson, S. T., How healthcare organization can achieve true integration. Health Finance Manage. 52:31–34, 1998.
- Devers, K. J., Mitchell, J. B., and Erickson, K. L., Implementing organized delivery systems: An integration score card. Health Care Manage. Rev. 19:7–20, 1994.
- Luft, H. S., Health Maintenance Organizations: Dimensions and Performance, Wiley, New York, 1981.
- Luft, H. S., Translating the U.S. HMO experience to other health systems. Health Aff. 10:172–186, 1991.
- Donaldson, M., Yordy, K., and Vanselow, N. (eds.), Institute of Medicine: Defining primary care: An interim report, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1994, p. 16.
- Kearly, K., Freeman, G., and Heatth, A., An exploration of the value of the personal doctor-patient relationship in General Practice. Br. J. Gen. Pract. 51:712–718, 2001.
- WONCA Europe,The European Definition of General Practice/Family Medicine, WONCA Europe, 2002, (www.medisin.ntnu.no/wonca).
- NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, the University of York, Assessing the evidence on clinical effectiveness. Effectiveness Matters 5:1–7, 2001 (http://www.york.ac.uk)
- Lionis, C., Seeking the clinical effectiveness in primary care within the regional health system in Greece. In The Abstract Book, in the 6th International Conference Biotechnology and Public Health, Catvat, Croatia, October 10, 2003.
- Creating an Integrated Health Care System in Greece: A Primary Care Perspective
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 643-652
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- health policy
- primary health care
- integrated health care
- personal doctor
- Industry Sectors