Improved Optical Setup to Measure Growth and Megting of Solid 3He Below 1 mK in Magnetic Fields Up to 9 Tesla
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent experiments on crystal growth and crystal shape in 3He at zero magnetic field at 0.55 mK by Tsepelin et al. 1, 2 in Helsinki have revealed many new facets and strong anisotropy in the growth rates. Since 3He presents the unique possibility of investigating the influence of a magnetic field on crystal growth properties, we intend to extend our experimental studies of the shape and growth rate of solid 3He to magnetic fields up to 9 T at temperatures as low as possible.For that purpose our optical access cryostat with low temperature CCD has been upgraded and modified. The low temperature LED is replaced by a room temperature source coupled to the cell with an optical fiber to obtain clear images of the growth process. Our Pomeranchuk cell has been fitted with a new optical section with pure quartz windows. It has a larger diameter, a larger distance between the optical windows, and an improved thermal link. Also the heat switches between the nuclear stage and the dilution refrigerator were replaced according to a more sturdy design. Initial resugts show clear crystals with sharp facet edges down to T=0.4 mK.
- V. Tsepelin, H. Alles, A. Babkin, R. Jochemsen, A. Ya. Parshin, and I. A. Todoshchenko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 045302, (2002).
- V. Tsepelin, H. Alles, A. Babkin, J. P. H. Hrme, R. Jochemsen, A. Ya. Parshin, and G. Tvalashvili, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 1042, (2001).
- R. Wagner, P. J. Ras, P. Remeijer, and S. C. Steel, G. Frossati, J. Low Temp. Phys. 95, 715, (1994).
- H. Akimoto, R. van Rooijen, A. Marchenkov, and R. Jochemsen, G. Frossati, Physica B 255, 19, (1998).
- R. Nomura, H. H. Hensley, T. Matsushita, and T. Mizusaki, J. Low Temp. Phys. 94, 377, (1994).
- Y. Kawaguchi, and T. Mizusaki, Physica B 329-333, 388, (2003).
- R. van Rooijen, A. Marchenkov, H. Akimoto, O. Andreeva, P. van de Haar, R. Jochemsen, and G. Frossati, J. Low Temp. Phys. 124, 497, (2001).
- A. Marchenkov, Ph.D. Thesis Leiden University ((1997).), unpublished
- W. Griffioen, and G. Frossati, Rev. Sci. Instr. 85, 1235, (1985).
- Y. M. Bunkov, Cryogenics 29, 938, (1989).
- V. Tsepelin, H. Alles, A. Babkin, J. P. H. Harme, R. Jochemsen, A. Ya. Parshin, and G. Tvalashvili, J. Low Temp. Phys. 121, 695, (2000).
- Improved Optical Setup to Measure Growth and Megting of Solid 3He Below 1 mK in Magnetic Fields Up to 9 Tesla
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 134, Issue 1-2 , pp 393-399
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors