Acculturation and Subjective well-being of Chinese Students in Australia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the relationships of two dimensions (host and co-national identification (HNI and CNI)), four modes (integration, separation, assimilation and marginalization) of acculturation to subjective well-being (SWB) of Chinese students in Australia. One hundred and fifty-seven Chinese overseas students completed a questionnaire including the acculturation index and the assessment of SWB. Analyses revealed that: (a) both strong HNI and CNI predicted enhanced SWB; (b) acculturation styles were also related to SWB and Chinese students who were integrated had significantly stronger SWB than their peers who were assimilated, separated or marginalized (c) there was no significant correlation between negative emotions and HNI or CNI.
- Berry, J.W. and R.C. Annis: 1974, 'Acculturative stress: The role of ecology, culture, and differentiation', Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 5, pp. 382–406.
- Berry, J.W.: 1984, 'Cultural relations in plural societies', in N. Miller and M. Brewer (eds.), Groups in Contact (Academic Press, San Diego), pp. 11–27.
- Berry, J.W., U. Kim, T. Minde and D. Mok: 1987, 'Comparative studies of acculturative stress', International Migration Review 21, pp. 491–511. CrossRef
- Berry, J.W., U. Kim, S. Power, M. Young and M. Bujaki: 1989, 'Acculturation studies in plural societies', Applied Psychology: An International Review 38, pp. 135–186.
- Berry, J.W.: 1990, 'Psychology of Acculturation', in R.W. Brislin (ed.), Applied Cross-Cultural Psychology (Sage, Newbury Park, CA), pp. 232–253.
- Berry, J.W.: 1994, 'Acculturation and psychological adaptation', in A.M. Bouvry, F.J.R. van de Vijver and P. Schmitz (eds.), Journeys into Cross-cultural Psychology (Swets and Zeitlinger, Lisse, Netherlands), pp. 129–141.
- Berry, J.W.: 1997, 'Immigration, acculturation and adaptation', Applied Psychology: An International Review 46, pp. 5–34. CrossRef
- Chataway, C.J. and J.W. Berry: 1989, 'Acculturation experiences, appraisal, coping, and adaptation', Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science 21, pp. 295–309.
- Diener, E., E. Sandvik and L. Seidlitz: 1993, 'The relationship between income and subjective well-being: Relative or absolute?' Social Indicators Research 28, pp. 195–223. CrossRef
- Diener, E., M. Diener and C. Diener: 1995, 'Factors predicting the subjective well-being of nations', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 68, pp. 653–663. CrossRef
- Diener, E., E.M. Suh and R.E. Lucas: 1999, 'Subjective well-being: The decades of progress', Psychological Bulletin 125(2), pp. 276–302. CrossRef
- Diener, E. and E.M. Suh: 2000, 'International college survey', Unpublished questionnaires, (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign).
- Domanico, Y.B., I. Crawford and A.S. De Wolfe: 1994, 'Ethnic identity and self-concept in Mexican-American adolescents: Is bicultural identity related to stress or better adjustment?' Child and Youth Care Forum 23, pp. 197–207. CrossRef
- Dona, G. and J.W. Berry: 1994, 'Acculturation attitudes and acculturative stress of Central American refugees', International Journal of Psychology 29, pp. 57–70.
- Erikson, E.: 1968, Identity: Youth and Crisis (Norton, New York).
- Eyou, M.L., V. Adair and R. Dixon: 2000, 'Cultural identity and psychological adjustment of adolescent Chinese immigrants in New Zealand', Journal of Adolescence 23, pp. 531–543. CrossRef
- Ho, E.S.: 1995, 'Chinese or New Zealander? Differential paths of adaptation of Hong Kong Chinese adolescent immigrants in New Zealand', New Zealand Population Review 21, pp. 27–49.
- Ho, E.S.: 1996, In search of a better future: Report of a survey on post-school education and employment choices among Asian adolescent migrants, Population Studies Center Discussion Paper No. (17). (University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand).
- Liu, X. and Y. Guo: 2001, Chinese overseas students come back and carve careers from abroad Xinghunnet News, 30 December, Guangzhou (internet news).
- Pavot, W. and E. Diener: 1993, 'Review of the satisfaction with life scale', Psychological Assessment 5, pp. 164–172. CrossRef
- Richardson, A.: 1994, The challenges, needs and difficulties for recent Chinese immigrants in a New Zealand secondary school: Development of a model for guidance counselor response to these needs, Unpublished master's thesis, (University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand).
- Sam, D. and J.W. Berry: 1995, 'Acculturative stress among young immigrants in Norway', Scandinavian Journal of Psychology 36, pp. 10–24.
- Verjuyten, M. and G. Kwa: 1994, 'Ethnic self-identification and psychological well-being among minority youth in the Netherlands', International Journal of Adolescence and Youth 5, pp. 19–34.
- Ward, C. and A. Kennedy: 1994, 'Acculturation strategies, psychological adjustment and socio-cultural competence during cross-cultural transitions', International Journal of Intercultural Relations 18, pp. 329–343. CrossRef
- Ward, C. and A. Rana-Deuba: 1999, 'Acculturation and adaptation revisited', Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 30, pp. 422–442.
- Zheng, X. and J.W. Berry: 1991, 'Psychological adaptation of Chinese sojourners in Canada', International Journal of Psychology 26, pp. 451–470.
- Acculturation and Subjective well-being of Chinese Students in Australia
Journal of Happiness Studies
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 57-72
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Chinese overseas students
- subjective well-being
- national identification.
- Industry Sectors