- Ruut Veenhoven
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The term 'art-of-living' refers to capabilities for leading a good life. Since there are different views on what a good life is, there could also be a difference in the capabilities called for. In this paper I distinguish two main views on the good life: the 'virtuous' life and the 'enjoyable' life and describe variants of each. I explore what competencies are required for living such lives and conclude that these differ indeed. So there are different arts-of-living.
The set of capabilities required for leading a happy life can be identified by means of empirical research. This capability-profile comes close to the notion of 'positive mental health'.
- Boot, G.: 2004, ‘Happiness in the garden of Epicure’, Journal of Happiness Studies 4(3) (in press).
- Brülde, B. (1998) The Human Good. Gothenburg University, Sweden
- Choi, Y.W and S.T. Kim: 2003, The effect of mood awareness on happiness, Manuscript under review.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1975) Beyond Boredom and Anxiety. Jossey Bass, San Francisco, USA
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990) Flow. The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Harper and Row, New York, USA
- Friedman, E.T., Schwartz, R.M., Haaga, D.A. (2002) Are the very happy too happy?. Journal of Happiness Studies 3: pp. 355-372 CrossRef
- Jahoda, M. (1958) Current Concepts of Positive Mental Health. Basic Books, New York, USA
- Maslow, A. (1954) Motivation and Personality. Harper, New York, USA
- Mill, J.S. (1861) Utilitarianism. Collins, London, UK
- Ormel, H. (1980) Een moeilijk leven of moeite met leven?. Konstapel, Groningen, Netherlands
- Taylor, S.E., Brown, J.D. (1988) Illusion and well-being: A social psychological perspective on mental health. Psychological Bulletin 103: pp. 193-210 CrossRef
- Veenhoven, R. (2000) The four qualities of life. Ordering concepts and measures of the good life. Journal of Happiness Studies 1: pp. 1-39 CrossRef
- Veenhoven, R.: 2002, ‘World Database of Happiness. Continuous register of research on subjective enjoyment of life’, Internet: www.eur.nl/fsw/research/happiness
Journal of Happiness Studies
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 373-384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- life skills happiness
- positive mental health.
- Industry Sectors
- Ruut Veenhoven (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Social Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Postbus 1738, Rotterdam, The Netherlands