Mechanochemically activated nano-aluminium: Oxidation behaviour
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nanocrystalline aluminium powder has been prepared by high-energy ball milling of flaked micron-sized aluminium powder in the presence of 10 wt% of graphite under argon atmosphere. The structure and chemical composition of as-prepared nanocomposites and the their thermally induced changes are studied by X-ray diffraction (XRD), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and simultaneous TG-DTA technique (SDT). TEM studies reveal that the aluminum nanoparticles have a size of 20-50 nm and they are randomly distributed within graphite “threads,” which in turn form aggregates of 3-5 μm. The oxidation behaviour of nano-Al in air was studied and compared to a precursor mixture of Al powder with average particle size of 21 μm and 10 wt% of graphite. For both powders, two stages of oxidation were observed in the temperature range 500-660°C and beyond 750°C. The mass gain for the first oxidation stage of the nano-powder is 3.5 times higher than that of the micron-sized one. A decrease of the activation energy of Al oxidation has been found for the nano-Al powder in comparison to the precursor aluminium. The evolution of crystal structure of aluminium oxide during oxidation of the Al/C composite powder has been followed by XRD.
- M. M. Mench, C. L. Yeh and K. K. Kuo, in Proceedings of the 29th Int. ICP Conference (Karlsruhe, Germany, June 1998) p. 30/1.
- V. N. Simonenko and V. E. Zarko, in Proceedings of the 30th Int. ICP Conference (Karlsruhe, Germany, June 1999) p. 21/1.
- D. E. Jones, P. Brousseau, R. C. Fouchard, A. M. Turcotte and Q. S. M. Kwok, J. Therm. Anal. Cal. 61(2000) 805.
- I. V. Kolbanev, A. N. Streletskii and P. Yu. Butyagin, J. Chem. Phys. 19(2000) 96 (in Russian).
- ASTM E1641–94, Standard Test Method for Arrhenius Kinetic Constants for Thermally Unstable Materials, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- ASTME698–79 (Reapproved 1993), StandardTest Method for Arrhenius Kinetic Constants for Thermally Unstable Materials, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Mechanochemically activated nano-aluminium: Oxidation behaviour
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 39, Issue 16-17 , pp 5451-5453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Semenov Institute of Chemical Physics, Russian Academy of Science, Moscow, Russia.
- 2. Delft Institute for Sustainable Energy, Delft University of Technology, DELFT, The Netherlands