Cutting, by ‘pressing and slicing,’ of thin floppy slices of materials illustrated by experiments on cheddar cheese and salami
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Why it is easier to cut with even the sharpest knife when ‘pressing down and sliding’ than when merely ‘pressing down alone’ is explained. A variety of cases of cutting where the blade and workpiece have different relative motions is analysed and it is shown that the greater the ‘slice/push ratio’ ξ given by (blade speed parallel to the cutting edge/blade speed perpendicular to the cutting edge), the lower the cutting forces. However, friction limits the reductions attainable at the highest ξ. The analysis is applied to the geometry of a wheel cutting device (delicatessan slicer) and experiments with a cheddar cheese and a salami using such an instrumented device confirm the general predictions.
- T. H. C. Childs, K. Mackawa, T. Obikawa and Y. Yamane, “Metal Cutting” (London, Arnold, 2000).
- G. W. Rowe and P. T. Spick, Trans ASME J. Engr for Industry, paper 66-Prod-C, 1966.
- J. G. Williams J. Mater. Sci. 33 (1998) 5351.
- A. G. Atkins and J. F. V. Vincent J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 3 (1984) 310.
- G. W. Rowe, “An Introduction to the Principles of Metalworking” (Edward Arnold, London, 1965).
- A. G. Atkins, P. Atkinson and J. F. V. Vincent, Microtome Rake Angle, UK Patent no. 8233106 (1983).
- A. Willis, Design and Development of an Instrumented Microtome, PhD Dissertation, University of Reading, 1988.
- E. J. A. Amarego and R. H. Brown, “The Machining of Metals” (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1969).
- A. G. Atkins, G. Jeronimidis and X. Xu, Applications of the Cutting Model, DEFRA LINK CUTTING report University of Bristol, 2002.
- I. Kamyab, S. Chakrabati and J. G. Williams J. Mater. Sci. 33 (1998) 2736.
- A. J. Pretlove, 2000 Private Communication.
- A. G. Atkins J. Mater. Proc. Tech. 21 (1990) 245.
- A. G. Atkins Int. J. Mech. Sci. 45 (2003) 373.
- J. F. Knott, Fundamentals of Fracture Mechanics (Butterworth, London, 1973).
- Cutting, by ‘pressing and slicing,’ of thin floppy slices of materials illustrated by experiments on cheddar cheese and salami
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 39, Issue 8 , pp 2761-2766
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors