Radiofrequency Ablation of Ventricular Fibrillation and Multiple Right and Left Atrial Tachycardia in a Patient with Brugada Syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Brugada syndrome is a well-known form of idiopathic ventricular fibrillation (VF). Few data suggest that this arrhythmia may be triggered by ventricular premature beats (VPBs), and an association with other arrhythmia such as monomorphic ventricular tachycardia (VT) or supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) has been reported. In a highly symptomatic 18-year-old-male patient with this syndrome, frequent episodes of VF, fast polymorphic VT, and fast monomorphic sustained regular tachycardia were observed. The tachycardia episodes were classified as VT or VF and as a consequence received appropriate therapies with the implanted cardioverter defibrillator (ICD). Precipitating VPBs that were stored in the ICD memory and on the electrocardiogram (ECG) exhibited the same morphology as frequent isolated VPBs. During the electrophysiological study, right and left atrial tachycardia (AT) with one-to-one atrioventricular conduction were also induced and successfully ablated. VF was ablated using the same noncontact mapping (NCM) system triggering VPBs from right ventricular outflow tract (RVOT).
- Brugada P, Brugada J. Right bundle branch block, persistent ST segment elevation, and sudden cardiac death: A distinct clinical and electrocardiographic syndrome. Amulti-center report. J AmColl Cardiol1992;20:1391-1396.
- Haïssaguerre M, Extramiana M, Hocini M, Cauchemez B, Jaïs P, Cabrera JA, Farre J, Leenhardt A, Sanders A, Scavée C, Hsu LF, Weerasooriya R, Shah DC, Frank R, Maury P, Delay M, Garrigue S, Clémenty J. Mapping and ablation of ventricular fibrillation associated with long-QT and Brugada syndromes. Circulation2003;108:925-928.
- Boersma L, Jaarsma B, Jessurun ER, Van Hemel N, Wever E. Brugada syndrome: A case report of monomorphic ventricular tachycardia. Pace2001;24:112-115.
- Eckardt L, Kirchhof, Loh P, Schulze-Bahr E, Johna R, Wichter T, Breithardt G, Haverkamp W, Borggrefe M. Brugada syndrome and supraventricular tachyarrhyth-mias: A novel association. J Cardiovascular Electrophysiol2001;12:680-685.
- Garrigue S, Cai X, Reuter S, Hocini M, Bordachar P, Haissaguerre M. Incidence of atrial and his conduction abnormalities in patients with Brugada syndrome: Implications for ventricular arrhythmias inducibility (Abstract). Pacing Clin Electrophysiol2002;24:545.
- Morita H, Kusano-Fukushima K, Nagase S, Fujimoto Y, Hisamatsu K, Fujio H, Haraoka K, Kobayashi M, Takenaka Morita S, Nakamura K, Emori T, Matsubara H, Hina K, Kita T, Fukanati M, Ohe T. Atrial fibrillation and atrial vulnerability in patients with Brugada syndrome. J AmColl Cardiol2002;40:1437-1444.
- Gasparini M, Priori S, Mantica M, Coltorti F, Napolitano C, Galimberti P, Bloise R, Ceriotti C. Programmed electrical stimulation in Brugada syndrome. J Cardiovasc Electro-physiol 2002;13:880-887.
- Belhassen B, Viskin S, Antzelevitch C. The Brugada syndrome: Is the implantable cardioverter defibrillator the only therapeutic option? Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2002;25:1634-1640.
- Cosio FG, Arribas F, Lopez-Gil M, Palacios J. Atrial flutter mapping and ablation. I. Studying atrial flutter mechanisms by mapping and entrainment. Pacing Clin Electro-physiol 1996;19(5):841-853.
- Saoudi N, Cosio F, Waldo A, Chen SA, Yeaska Y, Lesch M, Saksena S, Salerno J, Schoels W. Classification of atrial flutter and regular AT according to electrophysio-logic mechanism and anatomic bases: A statement from a joint expert group from the Working Group of Arrhyth-mias of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol2001;12(5):852-866.
- Saoudi N, Poty H, Nair M, Abdelazziz M, Anselme F, Letac B. Radiofrequency Catheter ablation for the common type of atrial flutter. In Saoudi, Schoels and El Sheriff (eds.) Armonk, NY: Futura, 1998.
- Saoudi N, Yaici K, Rinaldi JP, Bergonzi M. Mapping techniques tailored to the target arrhythmias. In Zipes DP and Haissaguerre M (eds.) Catheter Ablation of Cardiac Arrhythmia s. Armonk, NY: Futura, 2002.
- Ricard P, Imanitoff M, Yaici K, Coutelour JM, Bergonzi M, Rinaldi JP, Saoudi N. Atypical atrial flutters. Europace 2002;4:241-253.
- Kakishita M, Kurita T, Matsuo K, Taguchi A, Suyama K, Shimizu W, Aihara N, Kamakura S, Yamamoto F, Kobayashi J, Kosokai Y, Ohe T. Mode of onset of ventricular fibrillation in patients with Brugada syndrome detected by implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy. J AmColl Cardiol2000;36:1646-1653.
- Gussak I, Antzelevitch C, Bjerregaard P, Towbin JA, Chaitman BR. The Brugada syndrome: Clinical, electrophysiologic and genetic aspects. J AmColl Cardiol 1999;33:5-15.
- Alings M, Wilde A. “Brugada” syndrome: Clinical data and suggested pathophysiological mechanisms. Circulation 1999;99:666-673.
- Kirchhof P, Eckardt L, Monnig G, Johna R, Haverkamp W, Breithardt G. A patient with “atrial torsade de pointes.” J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol2000;11:806-811.
- Radiofrequency Ablation of Ventricular Fibrillation and Multiple Right and Left Atrial Tachycardia in a Patient with Brugada Syndrome
Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 205-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Brugada syndrome
- supraventricular tachycardia
- ventricular premature beat
- mapping radiofrequency ablation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre Hospitalier La Fontonne, Service de Cardiologie et, France
- 2. de Réanimation, 06600, Antibes, France
- 3. Centre Hospitalier Princesse Grace, Service de Cardiologie, Avenue Pasteur, 98012, Monaco