Gel polymer electrolytes based on a novel quaternary ammonium salt for dye-sensitized solar cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gel polymer electrolytes were prepared with polyacrylonitrile (PAN) and solutions of a novel quaternary ammonium salt, polysiloxane with quaternary ammonium side groups (PSQAS), in a mixture of ethylene carbonate (EC) and propylene carbonate (PC). The influences of PAN content and salt concentration on the ionic conductivity have been investigated. The ionic conductivity can be further improved with the use of the mixtures of KI and PSQAS, which can be expected as inorganic-organic salts. The gel polymer electrolytes were used in the fabrication of the dye-sensitized solar cells with a nanoporous TiO2 working electrode, cis-di(thiocyanato)-N,N′-bis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′-dicarboxylic acid) ruthenium(II) complex dye and a counter electrode based on platinized conducting glass. The cells showed open-circuit voltages (V oc) around 0.6 V and short-circuit current densities (J sc) larger than 7.5 mA cm−2 under 60 mW cm−2 irradiation. The fill factors (FF) and energy conversion efficiencies (η) of the cells were calculated to be higher than 0.56 and 4.4%, respectively.
- E. Quartarone, P. Mustarelli and A. Magistris, Solid State Ionics 110 (1998) 1. CrossRef
- K.M. Abraham and M. Alamgir, J. Electrochem. Soc. 137 (1990) 1657.
- S. Slane and M. Salomon, J. Power Sources 55 (1995) 7.
- B. Huang, Z. Wang, G. Li, H. Huang, R. Xue, L. Chen and F. Wang, Solid State Ionics 85 (1996) 79. CrossRef
- B. O'Regan and M.Grätzel, Nature 353 (1991) 737. CrossRef
- A. Hagfeldt and M. Grätzel, Chem., Rev. 95 (1995) 49. CrossRef
- A.F. Nogueira and M. Paoli, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 61 (2000) 135.
- F. Cao, G. Oskam and P. Searson, J. Phys. Chem. 99 (1995) 17071.
- K. Tennakone, G.K.R. Senadeera, V.P.S. Perera, I.R.M. Kottegoda and L.A.A. De Silva, Chem. Mater. 11 (1999) 2474. CrossRef
- O.A. Ileperuma, M.A.K.L. Dissanayake and S. Somasundaram, Electrochim. Acta 47 (2002) 2801. CrossRef
- J.J Kang, S.B. Fang and X. Zhou, Chem. Res. Chinese U. 18 (3, Suppl.) (2002) 199.
- S.S. Sekhon, N. Arora and S.A. Agnihotry, Solid State Ionics 136-137 (2000) 1201.
- J.Y. Kim and S.H. Kim, Solid State Ionics 124 (1999) 91. CrossRef
- S. Rajendran and T. Uma, J. Power Sources 88 (2000) 282.
- S-W. Hu and S-B. Fang, Electrochim. Acta 44 (1999) 2721.
- S-W. Hu and S-B. Fang, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 19 (1998) 539.
- Gel polymer electrolytes based on a novel quaternary ammonium salt for dye-sensitized solar cells
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 301-304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- dye-sensitized solar cell
- gel polymer electrolyte
- ionic conductivity
- quaternary ammonium salt
- Industry Sectors