Membrane stability studies for vanadium redox cell applications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Accelerated degradation tests of selected membranes were carried out to determine their stability in the fully charged positive electrolyte solution of the vanadium redox battery. Each membrane was soaked in both 1.0 and 0.1 M V(V) solutions for extended periods of time and UV–visible spectroscopy was used to determine the rate of oxidation of the membrane by V(V) to produce V(IV) ions in solution. The membranes were then evaluated for any changes in their resistance, IEC, diffusivity and water transfer properties. FESEM was used to analyse the membranes for physical damage. Different trends were observed in the 1.0 and 0.1 M V(V) electrolytes. Of the membranes studied, Nafion 112E/H+ showed the worst stability in the 0.1 M V(V) solution but one of the best stabilities in 1.0 M V(V). The dilute V(V) electrolyte appears to enter the pores of the membrane more readily as the membranes swell significantly in this solution. The 0.1 M V(V) solution therefore causes accelerated deterioration of the membrane performance as a result of physical destruction, chemical modification or a combination of both. The effect is more pronounced in the membranes that have a higher degree of swelling in the vanadium electrolyte.
- P. Llewellyn, F. Grossmith, A. Fane and M. Skyllas-Kazacos, Proceedings Symposium on Stationary Energy Storage: Load Leveling and Remote Applications (Electrochem. Soc., Honolulu, October 1987).
- T. Mohammadi and M. Skyllas-Kazacos, J. Appl. Electrochem. 27, (1996) 153.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos and R.G. Robins, US Pat. No. 4,786,567, (1986).
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos and F. Grossmith, J. Electrochem. Soc. 134 (1987) 2950.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos, D. Kasherman, R. Hong and M. Kazacos, J. Power Sources 35 (1991) 399.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos and M. Kazacos, US Patent No. 6,143,443, 7 (2000).
- A. Shibata, K. Sato and S. Naito, Proceedings EESAT'98, The First International Conference on Electrical Energy Storage Systems, Applications & Technologies (Chester, UK, June 16-18, 1998).
- N. Tokuda, T. Kumamoto, T. Shigematsu, H. Deguchi, T. Ito, N. Yoshikawa and T. Hara, SEI Tech. Rev. 45 (1998) 88.
- S.C. Chieng and M. Skyllas-Kazacos, J. Membr. Sci. 75 (1992) 81.
- T. Mohammadi, PhD thesis, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (1995).
- S.C. Chieng, PhD thesis, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (1993).
- Membrane stability studies for vanadium redox cell applications
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 137-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ion exchange membranes
- membrane stability
- vanadium redox cell
- Industry Sectors