Optical Losses in As-Prepared and Gamma-Irradiated Microstructured Silica-Core Optical Fibers
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The optical loss spectra of as-prepared and gamma-irradiated microstructured multimode fibers with KU-1 silica cores are analyzed. Experimental evidence is presented that leakage losses in such fibers can be prevented by producing, in their cladding, two layers of channels separated by thin glass walls. The strong absorption at 630 nm in the radiation-induced loss spectra of the fibers is shown to arise from nonbridging oxygen. The mechanisms underlying the formation of precursors to this color center are discussed, and the possible approaches to suppressing the 630-nm absorption are outlined.
- Richardson, D.J., Furusawa, K., Ebendorf-Heidepriem, H., et al., Practical Applications of Holey Optical Fiber, Optical Fiber Communication Conf., Los Angeles, 2004.
- Brichard, B., Van Uffelen, M., Fernandez, A.F., et al., Round-Robin Evaluation of Optical Fibres for Plasma Diagnostics, Fusion Eng. Des., 2001, vol. 56/57, pp. 917–921.
- Decreton, M., Massaut, V., and Borgermans, P., Potential Benefit of Fibre Optics in Nuclear Applications: The Case of the Decommissioning and Waste Storage Activities, Proc. SPIE-Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., 1994, vol. 2425, pp. 2–10.
- Griscom, D.L., Golant, K.M., Tomashuk, A.L., et al., Gamma-Radiation Resistance of Aluminum-Coated All-Silica Optical Fibers Fabricated Using Different Types of Silica in the Core, Appl. Phys. Lett., 1996, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 322–324.
- Nagasawa, K., Tohmon, R., and Ohki, Y., Effect of Cladding Material on 2-eV Optical Absorption in Pure-Silica Core Fibers and Method to Suppress the Absorption, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 1987, vol. 26, pp. 148–151.
- Buriukov, A.S., Dianov, E.M., Golant, K.M., et al., Synthesis of Fluorine-Doped Silica Glass by Means of an Outside Deposition Technique Using a Microwave Plasma Torch, Sov. Lightwave Commun., 1993, vol. 3, pp. 1–12.
- Girard, S., Yahya, A., Boukenter, A., et al., γ., 2002, vol. 38, no. 20, pp. 1169–1171.
- Stone, J., Interaction of Hydrogen and Deuterium with Silica Optical Fibers: A Review, J. Lightwave Technol., 1987, vol. 5, pp. 712–731.
- Hack, H., Kersten, R.Th., and Weingartner, Th., Cooling Rate in Fiber Drawing Process Governs the Strength of the 630 nm-Absorption, J. Opt. Commun., 1988, vol. 9, pp. 29–30.
- Griscom, D.L., Radiation Hardening of Pure-Silica-Core Optical Fibers by Ultra-High-Dose γ., 1995, vol. 77, pp. 5008–5013.
- Amossov, A.V. and Rybaltovsky, A.O., Radiation Color Center Formation in Silica Glasses: A Review of Photoand Thermo-Chemical Aspects of the Problem, J. Non-Cryst. Solid s, 1994, vol. 179, pp. 226–234.
- Hayashi, Y., Okuda, Y., Mitera, H., and Kato, K., Formation of Drawing-or Radiation-Induced Defects in Germanium-Doped Silica Core Optical Fiber, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.,1994, vol. 33, pp. L233-L234.
- Optical Losses in As-Prepared and Gamma-Irradiated Microstructured Silica-Core Optical Fibers
Volume 40, Issue 11 , pp 1229-1232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors