Comparing the Evolution Characteristics of Waves in Nonlinearly Elastic Micro- and Nanocomposites with Carbon Fillers
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A method is proposed for studying the evolution of plane waves in micro- and nanocomposite materials. This method permits comparing the evolutions of harmonic waves and produces results that are in agreement with data obtained earlier and with the metaphysical reasoning on the nanomechanics of composite materials
- G. A. Vanin, Micromechanics of Composite Materials [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1985).
- A. N. Guz and J. J. Rushchitsky, "Nanomaterials: on the mechanics of nanomaterials," Int. Appl. Mech., 39, No. 11, 1271-1293 (2003).
- J. J. Rushchitsky and S. I. Tsurpal, Waves in Microstructural Materials [in Ukrainian], Inst. Mekh. S. P. Timoshenko, Kiev (1998).
- M. Arroyo and T. Belytschko, "An atomistic-based finite deformation membranes for single layer crystalline films," J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 50, 1941-1977 (2000).
- C. Cattani and J. J. Rushchitsky, "Cubically nonlinear elastic waves: wave equations and methods of analysis," Int. Appl. Mech., 39, No. 10, 1286-1318 (2003).
- T. Chang and H. Gao, "Size-dependent elastic properties of a single-walled carbon nanotube via a molecular mechanics model," J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 51, No. 6, 1059-1074 (2003).
- M. D. Frogley, D. Ravich, and H. D. Wagner, "Mechanical properties of carbon nanoparticles-reinforced elastomers," Compos. Sci. Techn., 63, 1647-1654 (2003).
- M. D. Frogley, Q. Zhao, and H. D. Wagner, "Polarized resonance Raman spectroscopy of single-wall carbon nanotubes within a polymer under strain," Phys. Rev., B65, 11341-11343 (2002).
- H. Gao and P. A. Klein, "Numerical simulation of crack growth in an isotropic solid with randomized internal cohesive bonds," J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 46, 187-218 (1998).
- X.-L. Gao and K. Li, "Finite deformation continuum model for single-walled carbon nanotubes," Int. J. Solids Struct., 40, 7329-7337 (2003).
- T. S. Gates, "Guest editorial," Compos. Sci. Techn., 63, 1497-1498 (2003).
- Q. Han and G. Lu, "Torsional buckling of a double-walled carbon nanotube embedded in an elastic medium," Europ. J. Mech., A. Solids, 22, 875-883 (2003).
- G. Lubin (ed.), Handbook of Composites, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York (1982).
- H. S. Katz and J. V. Milewski (eds.), Handbook of Fillers and Reinforcements for Plastics, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York (1978).
- H. Jiang, P. Zhang, B. Liu, Y. Huang, P. H. Geubelle, H. Gao, and K. S. Hwang, "The effect of nanotube radius on the constitutive model for carbon nanotubes," Comput. Mater. Sci., 28, 429-442 (2003).
- Y. Jin and F. G. Yuan, "Simulation of elastic properties of single-walled carbon nanotubes," Compos. Sci. Techn., 63, 1507-1515 (2003).
- K. Lau, H. L. Li, D. S. Lim, and D. Hui, "Recent research and development on nanotube/polymer composites," Ann. Europ. Acad. Sci., 1, No. 1, 318-333 (2003).
- G. V. Lier, C. V. Alsenoy, V. V. Doran, and P. Geerlings, "Ab initio study of the elastic properties of single-walled carbon nanotubes and grapheme," Chem. Phys. Lett., 326, 181-185 (2000).
- Y. J. Liu and X. L. Chen, "Evaluation of the effective material properties of carbon nanotube-based composites using a nanoscale representative volume element," Mech. Mater., 35, No. 1, 69-81 (2003).
- J.-L. Luo and I. M. Daniel, "Characterization and modeling of mechanical behavior of polymer/clay nanocomposites," Comp. Sci. Techn., 63, 1607-1616 (2003).
- J. Muster, M. Burghard, S. Roth, G. S. Duesberg, E. Hernandez, and A. Rubio, "Scanning force microscopy characterization of individual carbon nanotubes on electrode arrays," J. Vacuum Sci. Techn., B16, 2796-2801 (1998).
- G. M. Odegard, T. S. Gates, L. M. Nicholson, and K. E. Wise, "Equivalent-continuum modeling of nanostructured materials," Comp. Sci. Techn., 62, No. 14, 1869-1880 (2002).
- Z. W. Pan, S. S. Xie, L. Lu, B. H. Chang, L. F. Sun, W. Y. Zhou, C. Wang, and D. L. Zhang, "Tensile tests of ropes of very long aligned multiwall carbon nanotubes," Appl. Phys. Lett., 74, 3152-3154 (1999).
- R. Parnes and A. Chiskis, "Buckling of nano-fibre reinforced composites: a re-examination of elastic buckling," J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 50, No. 4, 855-879 (2000).
- J. J. Rushchitsky, "Extension of the microstructural theory of two-phase mixtures to composite materials," Int. Appl. Mech., 36, No. 5, 586-614 (2000).
- J. J. Rushchitsky, C. Cattani, and S. V. Sinchilo, "Comparative analysis of the profile evolutions of an elastic harmonic wave caused by the second and third harmonics," Int. Appl. Mech., 40, No. 2, 183-189 (2004).
- E. B. Tadmor, G. S. Smith, N. Bernstein, and E. Kaxiras, "Mixed finite element and atomistic formulation for complex crystals," Phys. Rev., B59, 235-245 (1999).
- E. T. Thostanson, Z. Ren, and T. W. Chou, "Advances in the science and technology of carbon nanotubes and their composites: a review," Comp. Sci. Techn., 61, 1899-1912 (2001).
- T. W. Tombler, C. Zhou, L. Alexseyev, J. Kong, H. Dai, L. Liu, C. S. Jayanthi, M. Tang, and S.-Y. Wu, "Reversible electromechanical characteristics of carbon nanotubes under local-probe manipulations," Nature, 405, 769-772 (2000).
- B. I. Yakobson and P. Avouris, "Mechanical properties of carbon nanotubes," in: M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Dresselhaus, and P. Avouris (eds.), Topics in Advanced Physics, Vol. 80, Carbon Nanotubes: Synthesis, Structure, Properties, and Applications, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (2001), pp. 287-329.
- N. Yao and V. Lordi, "Young's modulus of single-walled carbon nanotubes," Appl. Phys., 84, 1939-1943 (1998).
- M. F. Yu, B. S. Files, S. Arepalli, and R. S. Ruoff, "Tensile loading of ropes of single wall carbon nanotubes and their mechanical properties," Phys. Rev. Lett., 84 (24), 5552-5555 (2000).
- P. Zhang, Y. Huang, P. H. Geubelle, P. A. Klein, and K. C. Hwang, "The elastic modulus of single-wall carbon nanotubes: a continuum analysis incorporating interatomic potentials," Int. J. Solids Struct., 39, 3893-3906 (2003).
- Comparing the Evolution Characteristics of Waves in Nonlinearly Elastic Micro- and Nanocomposites with Carbon Fillers
International Applied Mechanics
Volume 40, Issue 7 , pp 785-793
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- fibrous nano- and microcomposites
- effective mechanical properties
- waves along fibers
- evolution of harmonic profile
- Industry Sectors