Densities, Distributions, and Seasonal Movements of Gorillas and Chimpanzees in Swamp Forest in Northern Congo
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The conservation of gorillas (Gorilla spp.) and chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) depends upon knowledge of their densities and distribution throughout their ranges. However, information about ape populations in swamp forests is scarce. Here we build on current knowledge of ape populations by conducting line transect surveys of nests throughout a reserve dominated by swamp forest: the Lac Télé Community Reserve in northern Congo. We estimated gorilla and chimpanzee densities, distributions across habitats, and seasonal changes in abundance. Gorilla density was 2.9 gorillas km−2, but densities varied by habitat (0.3–5.4 gorillas km−2) with highest densities in swamp forest and terra firma mixed forest. Average chimpanzee density is 0.7 chimpanzees km−2 (0.1–1.3 chimpanzees km−2), with highest densities in swamp forest. Habitat was the best predictor of ape nest abundance, as neither the number of human indices nor the distance from the nearest village predicted nest abundance. We recorded significantly greater numbers of apes in terra firma forest during the high-water season than the low-water season, indicating that many gorillas and chimpanzees are at times concentrated in terra firma forest amid a matrix of swamp forest. Seasonally high numbers of apes on terra firma forest islands easily accessible to local people may expose them to substantial hunting pressure. Conversely, the nearly impenetrable nature of swamp forests and their low value for logging makes them promising sites for the conservation of apes.
- Agresti, A. (1996). An Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis, Wiley, New York.
- Balcomb, S. R., Chapman, C. A., and Wrangham, R. W. (2000). Relationship between Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) density and large, fleshy-fruit tree density: Conservation implications. Am. J. Primatol. 51: 197-203.
- Bermejo, M. (1999). Status and conservation of primates in Odzala National Park, Republic of Congo. Oryx 33(4): 323-331.
- Blake, S., Rogers E., Fay, J. M., Ngangoué, M., and Ebéké, G. (1993). Swamp gorillas in northern Congo. Afr. J. Ecol. 33: 285-290.
- Blom, A., Almasi, A., Heitkönig, I. M. A., Kpanou, J.-B., and Prins, H. H. T. (2001). A survey of the apes in the Dzanga-Ndoki National Park, Central African Republic: A comparison between the census survey method of estimating the gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) and chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) nest group density. Afr. J. Ecol. 39: 98-105.
- Brugiere, D., and Sakom, D. (2001). Population density and nesting behaviour of lowland gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) in the Ngotto forest, Central African Republic. J. Zool. 255: 251-259.
- Buckland, S. T., Anderson, D. R., Burnham, K. P., Laake, J. L., Borchers, D. L., and Thomas, L. (2001). Introduction to Distance Sampling: Estimating Abundance of Biological Populations, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UO0.
- Carroll, R. W. (1988). Relative density, range extension and conservation potential of the lowland gorilla Gorilla gorilla gorilla in the Dzanga-Sangha region of southwestern Central African Republic. Mammalia 52: 309-323.
- Chapman, C. A., Gautier-Hion, A., Oates, J. F., and Onderdonk, D. A. (1999). African primate communities: Determinants of structure and threats to survival. In Fleagle, J.G., Janson, C., and Reed, K.E. (eds.), Primate Communities, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UC0, pp. 1-37.
- Connor, E. F., Hosfield, E., Meeter, D. A., and Niu, X. (1997). Tests for aggregation and size-based sample-unit selection when sample units vary in size. Ecology 78: 1238-1249.
- Fay, J. M. (1989). Partial completion of a census of the western lowland gorillas in southwestern Central African Republic. Mammalia 53: 203-215.
- Fay, J. M., and Agnagna, M. (1992). Census of gorillas in the northern Republic of Congo. Am. J. Primatol. 27: 275-284.
- Fay, J. M., Agnagna, M., Moore, J., and Oko, R. (1989). Gorillas (Gorilla g. gorilla) in the Likouala swamp forests of North Central Congo: Preliminary data on populations and ecology. Int. J. Primatol. 10: 477-486.
- Frumhoff, P. C., and Losos, E. C. (2001). Where should natural forest management be promoted to conserve wildlife? In Fimbel, R.A., Grajal, A., and Robinson, J.G. (eds.), The Cutting Edge, Columbia University Press, New York, pp. 453-472.
- Furuichi, T., Igagaki, H., and Angoue-Ovono, S. (1997). Population density of chimpanzees and gorillas in the Petit Loango Reserve, Gabon: Employing a new method to distinguish between nests of the two species. Int. J. Primatol. 18: 1029-1045.
- Gautier-Hion, A. (1996). Statut des Populations de Primates au Sein du Bloc Forestier d'Afrique Centrale, Technical report to Projet ECOFAC, CEE DGVIII (AGRECO-CTFT).
- Goldsmith, M. L. (1999). Ecological constraints on the foraging effort of western gorillas at Bai Hokou, Central African Republic. Int. J. Primatol. 20: 1-24.
- Harcourt, A. H. (1996). Is the gorilla a threatened species? How should we judge? Biol. Conserv. 75, 165-176.
- Heymans, J. C., and Oyo, P. (1999). Plan d'amenagement de la Réserve Communautaire du Lac Télé/Likouala-aux-Herbes. Technical report to the IUCN.
- Jones, C., and Sabater-Pi, J. (1971). Comparative ecology of Gorilla gorilla (Savage and Wyman) and Pan troglodytes(Blumenbach) in Rio Muni, West Africa. Bib. Primatol. 13: 1-96.
- Kano, T., and Asato, R. (1994). Hunting pressure on chimpanzees and gorillas in the Motaba River Area, northeastern Congo. Afr. Study Monogr. 15: 143-162.
- Laake, T. L., Strindberg, S., Marques, F. F. C., Borchers, D. L., Buckland, S. T., Anderson, D. R., Burnham, K. P., Hedley, S. L., and Pollard, J. H. (2001). Distance 4.0. Beta 4. Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment, University of St. Andrews, Scotland, UK. http://www.ruwpa.st-and.ac.uk/distance/.
- Lahm, S. A. (1993). Ecology and Economics of Human/Wildlife Interactions in Gabon, PhD Thesis, New York University.
- McCullagh, P., and Nelder, J. A. (1989). Generalized Linear Models, 2nd edn., Chapman and Hall, London.
- Nishihara, T. (1995). Feeding ecology of western lowland gorillas in the Nouabalé-Ndoki National Park, Congo. Primates 36(2): 151-168.
- Oates, J. F. (1994). Africa's primates in 1992: Conservation issues and options. Am. J. Primatol. 34: 61-71.
- Oates, J. F. (1996). Habitat alternation, hunting and the conservation of folivorous primates in African forests. Aust. J. Ecol. 21: 1-9.
- Plumptre, A. J., and Reynolds, V. (1996). Censusing chimpanzees in the Budongo Forest, Uganda. Int. J. Primatol. 17: 85-99.
- Poulsen, J. R., and Clark, C. J. (2002). Feasibility study report of the Lac Télé Community Reserve. Technical report to the Wildlife Conservation Society, New York.
- Poulsen, J. R., Clark, C. J., and Smith, T. B. (2001). Seed dispersal by a diurnal primate community in the Dja Reserve, Cameroon. J. Trop. Ecol. 17: 787-808.
- R Development Core Team. (2003). R: A language and environment for statistical computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org.
- Remis, M. J. (1993). Nesting behaviour of lowland gorillas in the Dzanga-Sangha Reserve, Central African Republic: Implications for population estimates and understandings of group dynamics. Tropics 2: 245-255.
- Remis, M. J. (1997). Western lowland gorillas as seasonal frugivores: Use of variable resources. Am. J. Primatol. 43: 87-109.
- Remis, M. J. (2000). Preliminary assessment of the impacts of human activities on gorillas Gorilla gorilla gorilla and other wildlife at Dzanga-Sangha Reserve, Central African Republic. Oryx 34(1): 56-65.
- Remis, M. J., Dierenfeld, E. S., Mowry, C. B., and Carroll, R. W. (2001). Nutritional aspects of western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) diet during seasons of fruit scarcity at Bai Hokou, Central African Republic. Int. J. Primatol. 23: 231-250.
- Rogers, M. E., and Williamson, E. A. (1987). Density of herbaceous plants eaten by gorillas in Gabon. Biotropica 19(3): 278-281.
- Sayer, J. A., Harcourt, C. S., and Collins, N. M. (1992). The Conservation Atlas of Tropical Forests. Africa, Macmillan, London, UK.
- Tutin, C. E. G., and Fernandez, M. (1984). Nationwide census of gorilla (Gorilla g. gorilla) and chimpanzee (Pan t. troglodytes) populations in Gabon. Am. J. Primatol. 6: 313-336.
- Tutin, C. E. G., and Fernandez, M. (1993). Composition of the diet of chimpanzees and comparisons with that of sympatric lowland gorillas in the Lopé Reserve, Gabon. Am. J. Primatol. 30: 195-211.
- Tutin, C. E. G., Parnell, R. J., White, L. J. T., and Fernandez, M. (1995). Nest building by lowland gorillas in the Lopé Reserve, Gabon: Environmental influences and implications for censusing. Int. J. Primatol. 16: 53-76.
- Walsh, P. D., Abernathy, K. A., Bermejo, M., Beyers, R., De Wachter, P., Akou, M. E., Huijbregts, B., Mambounga, D. I., Toham, A. K., Kilbourn, A. M., Lahm, S. A. Latour, S., Maisels, F., Mbina, C., Milhindou, Y., Obiang, S. N., Effa, E. N., Starkey, M. P., Telfer, P., Thibault, M., Tutin, C. E. G., White, L. J. T., and Wilkie, D. S. (2003). Catastrophic ape decline in western equatorial Africa. Nature 1566: 1-3.
- White, L. J. T. (1994). Biomass of rain forest mammals in the Lopé Reserve, Gabon. J. Anim. Ecol. 63: 499-512.
- White, L. J. T., and Edwards, A. (2000). Conservation Research in the African Rain Forests: A Technical Handbook, Wildlife Conservation Society, New YW0, 444pp.
- Wilkie, D. S., Shaw, E., Rotberg, F., Morelli, G., and Auzel, P. (2000). Roads, development, and conservation in the Congo Basin. Conserv. Biol. 14: 1614-1622.
- Williamson, E. A., Tutin, C. E. G., Rogers, M. E., and Fernandez, M. (1990). Composition of the diet of lowland gorillas at Lopé in Gabon. Am. J. Primatol. 21: 265-277.
- Williamson, L., and Usongo, L. (1996). Survey of Gorillas Gorilla gorilla and Chimpanzees Pan troglodytes inthe Reserve de Faune du Dja, Cameroun. Afr. Primates 2(2): 67-72.
- Densities, Distributions, and Seasonal Movements of Gorillas and Chimpanzees in Swamp Forest in Northern Congo
International Journal of Primatology
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 285-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- swamp forest
- Lac Télé Community Reserve
- Industry Sectors