Simulation of Ultrashort Laser Pulse Propagation in Silica Fibre by FDTD+
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The finite-difference time-domain algorithm is extended to solving the Maxwell's equations with nonlinear terms which include all exact Sellmeier-fitting values in this paper. The results obtained by the presented method are in good agreement with those from experiments, and this method is even better than solving the generalized nonlinear Schrödinger equation by split-step Fourier method. The spectral phase of propagated pulses is also obtained by the presented method, which is important for investigation of single-cycle optical pulse generation via phase compensation of the nonlinear-chirped in silica fibers.
- V. P. Kalosha and J. Herrmann, Self-phase modulation and compression of few-optical-cycle pulses, Phys. Rev. A, vol.62, pp. R11804.1-R11804.4, 2000.
- N. Karasawa, L. Li, and A. Suguro, et al., Optical pulse compression to 5.0 fs by use of only a spatial light modulator for phase compensation, J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, vol.18, pp. 1742-1746, 2001.
- J. M. Dudley and S. Coen, Numerical Simulations and Coherence Properties of Supercontinuum Generation in Photonic Crystal and Tapered Optical Fibers, IEEE J. Select. Topics Quantum Electro., vol.8(3), pp.651-659, 2002.
- S. Boscolo, M. Midrio, and C. G. Someda, Coupling and Decoupling of Electromagnetic Waves in Parallel 2-D Photonic Crystal Waveguides, IEEE J. Quantum Electro., vol.38(1), pp. 47-53, Jan., 2002.
- S. Nakamura, L. Li, and N. Karasawa, et al., Measurements of third-order dispersion effects for generation of high-repetition-rate, sub-three-cycle transform-limited pulses from a glass fiber, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., vol.41, no. 3A, pp. 1369-1373, Mar. 2002.
- N. Karasawa, S. Nakamura, and R. Morita, et al., Comparison between theory and experiment of nonlinear propagation for 4.5-cycle optical pulses in a fused-silica fiber, Nonlinear Opt., vol.24, pp. 133-138, 2000.
- G. A. Agrawal, Nonlinear Fiber Optics, 2nd ed. San Diego, CA: Academic, 1995.
- K. S. Yee, Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., vol.14, pp. 302-307, May 1966.
- A. Taflove, S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics, Norwood, MA: Artech House, 2000.
- R. M. Joseph and A. Taflove, FDTD Maxwell's equations models for nonlinear electrodynamics and optics, IEEE Trans. Antenas Propagat., vol.45, pp. 364-374, Mar. 1997.
- P. M. Goorjian and A. Taflove, Direct time integration of Maxwell's equations in nonlinear dispersive media for propagation and scattering of femtosecond electromagnetic solitons, Opt Lett., vol.17, pp. 180-182, 1992.
- A. J. Taylor, G. R. Rodriguez, and T. S. Clement, Determination of n by direct measurement of the optical phase, Opt. Lett., vol.21, pp. 1812-1814, 1996.
- Simulation of Ultrashort Laser Pulse Propagation in Silica Fibre by FDTD+
International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves
Volume 25, Issue 5 , pp 799-807
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- femtosecond laser pulse
- finite-difference time-domain
- nonlinear propagation
- silica fiber
- single-cycle optical pulse
- ultrabroad-band supercontinuum spectrum
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Ministry of Education, Key Laboratory of Opto-Electronics Information and Technical Science, (Tianjin University), Tianjin, 300072, China
- 1. College of Precision Instrument and Opto-Electronics Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, 300072, People's Republic of China