Geomorphic Disturbance and its Impact on Darter (Teleostomi: Percidae) Distribution and Abundance in the Pearl River Drainage, Mississippi
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examined channel and point bar changes over time in the Pearl River, a meandering, Coastal Plain stream in Mississippi and Louisiana. We interpreted extreme changes in bar area as evidence of channel instability and related this to the diversity and abundance of darters in the river. Darters were less diverse and abundant in more disturbed reaches in comparison with relatively undisturbed reaches. Darter abundance was positively correlated with proximity to extreme bar-area changes. The relationship between channel instability and darter abundance observed here points to the importance of landscape level approaches to in-stream habitat management. The results suggest that river management practices that prevent or mitigate extreme changes in channel or sediment dynamics should be adopted for the benefit of benthic communities.
- Berkman, H. E., Rabeni, C. F. (1987) Effect of siltation on stream fish communities. Environmental Biology of Fishes 18: pp. 285-294
- Box, J. B., Mossa, J. (1999) Sediment, land use, and freshwater mussels:prospects and problems. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 18: pp. 99-117
- Brown, A. V., Lyttle, M. M., Brown, K. B. (1998) Impacts of gravel mining on gravel bed streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 127: pp. 979-994
- Daniels, R. A. (1989) Signi cance of burying in Ammocrypta pellucida. Copeia 1989: pp. 29-34
- Etnier, D. A., Starnes, W. C. (1993) The shes of Tennessee. University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, TN
- Etnier, D. A., 1997. Jeopardized southeastern shes:a search for causes. In Benz G. M. & D. E. Collins (eds), Aquatic Fauna in Peril:The Southeastern Perspective: 87–104.
- Hupp, C. R., Osterkamp, W. R. (1996) Riparian vegetation and. uvial geomorphic processes. Geomorphology 14: pp. 277-295
- Karr, J. R., K. D. Fausch, P. S. Angermeier, P. R. Yant & I. J. Schlosser, 1986. Assessing biological integrity in running waters:a method and its rationale. Illinois Natural History Survey Special Publication 5.
- Knighton, D. (1984) Fluvial Forms and Processes. Edward Arnold, London
- Kondolf, G. M. & M. Larson, 1995. Historical channel analyses and its application to riparian and aquatic habitat restora-tion. Aquatic Conservation:Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 5:109–126.
- Langbein, W. B. & L. B. Leopold, 1966. River meanders theory of minimum variance. US Geological Survey, Professional Paper 422-II.
- Mossa, J. & W. J. Autin, 1998. Geologic and geographic aspects of sand and gravel production in Louisiana. In Bobrowsky, P. T. (ed. ), Aggregate Resources:A Global Perspective. A. A.Balkema/Rotterdam/Brook eld.
- Osterkamp, W. R., Hupp, C. R. (1996) Preface. Geomorphology 14: pp. 275
- Page, L. (1983) Handbook of Darters. TFH Publications, Neptune City, New Jersey
- Power, M. E., Stout, R. J., Cushing, C. E., Harper, P. P., Hauer, F. R., Matthews, W. J., Moyle, P. B., Statzner, B., Wais de Badgen, I. R. (1988) Biotic and abiotic controls in river and stream communities. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 7: pp. 433-455
- Rabeni, C. F., Jacobson, R. B. (1993) Geomorphic and hydraulic in. uences on the abundance and distribution of 60. stream centarchids in Ozark USA streams. Polskie Achiwum Hydrobiologii 40: pp. 87-99
- Reger, S. J. (1980) Effects of stream channel alterations on aquatic insect communities. Dissertation, Utah State University
- Resh, V. H., Brown, A. V., Covich, A. P., Gurtz, M. E., Li, H. W., Minshall, G. W., Reice, S. R., Sheldon, A. L., Wallace, J. B., Wissmar, R. C. (1988) The role of disturbance in stream ecology. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 7: pp. 433-455
- Ross, S. T. (2001) Inland Fishes of Mississippi. University Press of Mississippi, Jackson, MS
- Ross, S. T., O'Connell, M. T., Patrick, D. M., Latorre, C. A., Slack, W. T., Knight, J. G., Wilkins, S. D. (2001) Stream erosion and densities of Etheostoma rubrum (Percidae)and associated riffe-inhabiting fishes: Biotic stability in a variable habitat. Copeia 2001: pp. 916-927
- Schlosser, I.J. (1991) Stream fish ecology:a landscape perspective. BioScience 41: pp. 704-712
- Shankman, D. (1993) Channel migration and vegetation patterns in the Southeastern coastal plain. Conservation Biology 7: pp. 176-183
- Sheldon, A. L. (1967) Species diversity and longitudinal succession in stream fishes. Ecology 49: pp. 193-198
- Taylor, C. M. (1997) Fish species richness and incidence patterns in isolated and connected stream pools: effects of pool volume and spatial position. Oecologia 110: pp. 560-566
- Vannote, R. L., Minshall, G. W., Cummins, K. W., Sedell, J. R., Cushing, C. E. (1980) The River Continuum Concept. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 37: pp. 130-137
- Geomorphic Disturbance and its Impact on Darter (Teleostomi: Percidae) Distribution and Abundance in the Pearl River Drainage, Mississippi
Volume 527, Issue 1 , pp 49-61
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- geomorphic disturbance
- benthic fishes
- sand bars
- channel instability
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tulane University Museum of Natural History, Belle Chasse, LA, 70037, USA
- 2. St. John's College, Box 2800, Annapolis, MD, 21401, USA ( Tel.:
- 3. Southeastern Louisiana University, Department of Biological Sciences, Box 10736, Hammond, LA, 70402, USA