Linear Blood Velocity in Arteries of the Brain Hemispheres in Left-Handers and Right-Handers during Hypoxia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Transcranial Doppler ultrasonography was used to measure the linear blood velocity (LBV) in the middle cerebral artery (MCA) of the right and left hemispheres in right-handers and left-handers who were breathing a gas mixture with 10% oxygen through a mask at normal barometric pressure. No interhemispheric differences were found in left-handers before hypoxia. The maximum systolic velocity was higher in the MCA of the left hemisphere in right-handers. Left-handers had a higher LBV in the right hemisphere than did right-handers. LBV in the MCA of both hemispheres increased in both left-handers and right-handers as a result of hypoxia. Aggravation of hypoxia caused a decrease in LBV in the left hemisphere in right-handers.
- Khasnulin, V.I., Shestakov, S.I., Stepanov, Y., Skosyreva, G.A. (1983) Regional'nye osobennosti zdorov'ya zhitelei Zapolyar'ya. Nauka, Novosibirsk
- Arshavskii, V.V. (1988) Mezhpolusharnaya asimmetriya v sisteme poiskovoi aktivnosti (k probleme adaptatsii cheloveka v pripolyarnykh regionakh Severo-Vostoka SSSR). Dal'nevost. Otd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Vladivostok
- Leutin, V.P., Osipova, L.P., Krivoshchekov, S.G. (1996) Relation between Hormonal Indices of Stress and Sensorimotor Asymmetries in Northern Selkups. Fiziol. Chel. 22: pp. 131
- Leutin, V.P., Roifman, M.D., Pichkurov, A.M., Krivoshchekov, S.G. (1997) Sexual Dimorphism and the Structure of the Distribution of the Lateral Phenotype in Schoolchildren of Tuva. Fiziol. Chel. 23: pp. 132
- Leutin, V.P., Chukhrova, M.G., Krivoshchekov, S.G. (1999) Relation between Alcohol Consumption and Features of Functional Asymmetry of the Brain in Tuvinians. Fiziol. Chel. 25: pp. 67
- Yzhikova, E.A., Psychophysiological and Morphofunctional Characteristic of 14-to 15-Year-Old Adolescents of the Altaian and Russian Nationalities, Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Novosibirsk, 2000.
- Soroka, S.I., Dimarov, R.M. (1994) Individual Features of Changes in Electrobiological Activity and Hemodynamics of the Human Brain under Impact of Experimental and Alpine Hypoxia. Fiziol. Chel. 20: pp. 16
- Aleksandrov, M.V., Ivanov, A.O., Kosenkov, N.I., Lutsyk, M.A. (2001) Influence of Hypoxia on Spontaneous Electrical Activity of the Human Brain. Fiziol. Chel. 27: pp. 58
- Agadzhanova, L.G., Andreev, A.V., Belolapotko, E.A. In: Nikitin, Y., Trukhanov, A.I. eds. (1998) Ul'trazvukovaya dopplerovskaya diagnostika sosudistykh zabolevanii. Vidar, Moscow
- Bezobrazova, V.N., Dogadkina, S.B. (1988) Features of Central and Peripheral Circulation in 16-to 17-Year-Old Boys with Different Types of Manual Asymmetry. Fiziologiya shkol'nikov yunosheskogo vozrasta. APN SSSR, Moscowpp. 145
- Zhavoronkova, L.A., EEG Correlates of the Features of Interhemispheric Asymmetry of the Brain in Right-Handers and Left-Handers, in Aktual'nye voprosy funktsional'noi mezhpolusharnoi asimmetrii (Urgent Problems of Functional Interhemispheric Asymmetry), Moscow, 2001, p. 86.
- Linear Blood Velocity in Arteries of the Brain Hemispheres in Left-Handers and Right-Handers during Hypoxia
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 290-292
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links